Getting the best out of Sonos, without Trueplay

• 27 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi All,

I am sure many ARC+Sub Home Theatre owners are following the 14.12 and 14.14 updates issue (sub power drop off with Trueplay) with great anticipation of a fix - and this could be some time yet. Not only are we waiting for the sub presence to return to its punchy self, but we also know Sonos are evolving the overall sound signature.

As a result, this has made me think about getting the best out of sound when not using Trueplay. i.e. configuring the system manually (natively).

It would be great to hear from people who don't use Trueplay and what speaker positioning tips and tools (including white noise sound testing) they use to calibrate their system. 

In essence, has anyone dumped Trueplay and found happiness with it turned off? If so, what did they do to get that sound?

Thanks,

Brad

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi All,

I am sure many ARC+Sub Home Theatre owners are following the 14.12 and 14.14 updates issue (sub power drop off with Trueplay) with great anticipation of a fix - and this could be some time yet. Not only are we waiting for the sub presence to return to its punchy self, but we also know Sonos are evolving the overall sound signature.

As a result, this has made me think about getting the best out of sound when not using Trueplay. i.e. configuring the system manually (natively).

It would be great to hear from people who don't use Trueplay and what speaker positioning tips and tools (including white noise sound testing) they use to calibrate their system. 

In essence, has anyone dumped Trueplay and found happiness with it turned off? If so, what did they do to get that sound?

Thanks,

Brad

Hi!  Due to the fact we don't have Apple and our previous Truplay setting (neighbor came over) is gone we are back to the non TP version.  Honestly, I do not hear much of a difference. Our basic settings are SW+2, bass +1, treble +2, Surrounds +2, height +6, surrounds are around 4 feet from the listener. Our TV is 7 feet away (65 LG C1) with the SW just to the left of the set. Our ceiling is 8.5 feet tall.

Best test for me is listening to the intro of See on Apple TV +.  You can clearly hear each speaker.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter 

Treble -8

Bass 0

Sub 0

Height +5

Surrounds 2-10 feet 

It's listenable but if I am honest my lg tv speakers sound fuller/ richer and front soundstage sounds wider using tv speakers if that makes sense 

If I have the treble higher as in -5 to 0 I get earache and pains it must be outputting a frequency that affects me.

No matter what I have tried I still cannot get my system to what I had before and enjoyed sadly 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Interesting question!

For me personally I was fiddling around with the sub level between -3 and 0. Bass between -2 and +1.

It’s very hard to get the same sound as 14.10. If I turn on Trueplay, the soundstage is much wider, but at the cost of bass from the sub as we all know by now. When turning off Trueplay, I get a bit of the wider soundstage back by adjusting the surround speakers to “full” for music playback, and decrease the volume to -5. That way, the vocals are a bit more clearer.

To get the optimal sound from the sub, maybe we need to do the “subwoofer crawl” (many video’s on YouTube that explains it). I have tried the crawl before, but with Trueplay tuning it didn’t make a lot of a difference where I placed the sub. Without Trueplay, I have positioned my sub in a corner at a 45 degrees angle towards the main listening position.

One of the main reasons why I bought the Sonos HT, was the fact of it simplicity. Simply do Trueplay tuning and you’re all set. Unfortunately during this debacle of the lates 2 patches, we can’t use it temporarily till there is a solution. Let’s hope this issue will be resolved quickly, so we can enjoy the system as we used to. I kind of expect this fix will come in the next 2 weeks from now. Sonos has to, period!

I also expect a big apologies from this company and for all people who are affected a discount coupon of at least 20% for the next purchase to re-earn their trust again.

I tried true play in the configuration sub gen3 with a pair of fives, and i feel it takes out the deep frequency of the sub, so i don’t use true play for now. quit disappointing that it takes the nice deep feel away when it’s actually there in the original setting?? important fact i noticed is the position of the sub, it differs from night to day.

There are many who use TruePlay, and after running it, make further adjustments to match what they expect out of their system. TruePlay being run does not turn off making any further adjustments.