Answered

Getting Sonos to work with my HiFi.

• 21 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi 

I know this has been asked many times before but it always seems to be in one direction.

Now I have my HiFi system with record deck and CD player feeding into an integrated amp (NAD C 368). This drives two pairs of passive speakers. What I want to do is link my HiFi amplifier into Sonos so I can play my vinyl and CDs through my Sonos set up. All the other posts seem to be bringing Sonos into the HiFi or missing the HiFi amplifier out and connecting the record desk direct to Connect. I don't want to do this as I want to retain the record deck playing through the passive speakers in one room - which is much better quality than sonos, but want to be able to switch the HiFi output into Sonos around the rest of my house.

My HiFi amplifier has a Pre-out. Maybe it is obvious but its a little unclear to me - can I just feed this into the Port or do I need the Amp?

(stupidly I just upgraded to Sonos 2 and this stopped my exiting Connect:AMP from working as I think this may have been a solution!)

Thanks for any advice

DS

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 February 2021, 18:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

You should be able to connect a Sonos Port or Amp to the preamp out RCA ports. See page 6, #3: https://www.audioadvice.com/amfile/file/download/file/51/product/356/

I am using the Port with my vintage hifi system and CD-player and it works well.

Great, thanks for the replies. Wasn’t sure if I would need the Amp as the NAD only has a preamp out put but seems like the Port should be enough. Good to know.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Something to keep in mind is that the Sonos output will introduce a slight delay, so your Sonos speakers won’t be precisely synced with the speakers being driven by the NAD. It might not be an issue for you — for example if the other speakers/rooms are far enough away that you won’t be hearing both at the same time. My traditional stereo system is in a room that’s connected to both my kitchen and dining room where I have Sonos speakers, so I need them to be in perfect sync if I’m using them all at the same time. I use an older integrated amp that has a tape input; I connected the Connect line out to that and when I need all of my speakers in sync I can switch on the Tape Monitor so my passive speakers get the slightly delayed Sonos signal rather than the direct signal from my turntable.