Frame TV connected to AMP analog audio

• 20 October 2023
  • 11 replies

I want to connect Frame TV to AMP?   I believe the only external input for AMP is analog RCA jacks.  What is best way to connect Frame TV audio out via fiber to RCA jacks?  The only cables I have between components are 1-coax and 1-Ethernet, no fiber our audio cables.  Would using ARC HDMI port make it easier? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Using ARC via HDMI would be infinitely easier, and have the added advantage of avoiding the 75ms delay applied to all analog inputs on a Sonos. Simply string an HDMI cable (1.4 or above) between the port labeled ARC on the Frame, and the input on the Amp.

Bruce, so I use HDMI to Ethernet adapter connected to existing Ethernet in wall to second adapter Ethernet to analog audio RCA jacks?  Or, must I use a pair matched HDMI to Ethernet adapters, then convert HDMI to analog for the Sonos amp?  It’s a lot of conversions so something may go wrong.  But, I like avoiding 75 ms delay.

John

Unless you are able to run an actual HDMI cable from the HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC port on the TV, you’ll need a pair of HDMI-eARC over Ethernet adapters. This sort of unit only recently became available in the marketplace. An HDMI over Ethernet adapter pair will not work.

Buzz, you confirmed my suspicion so will buy a pair.  Would using audio optical output from Connect box make it any easier?  Conversion then is optical to Ethernet or coax, then Ethernet/coax to analog audio. 

This would be less expensive. Be sure that the audio formats that you need are supported over optical. Note that you’ll need to use IR to control Volume.

And optical has much less available bandwidth than HDMI ARC does, so be cautious. For instance, you can’t push an Atmos (MAT) signal through optical. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

And optical has much less available bandwidth than HDMI ARC does, so be cautious. For instance, you can’t push an Atmos (MAT) signal through optical. 

you mean eARC - ARC has similar bandwidth and codec limitations to optical, it is in essence “optical over hdmi”. Its the e in eARC that expands the bandwidth and codecs.

Sonos doesn’t allow Dolby Digital Plus over optical, so there can be no Atmos in an optical setup. I was talking more about Sonos’ restrictions than theoretical (true) bandwidth concerns.

Maybe I’m approaching this wrong by focusing on a 20 ft. wired (Ethernet/coax) link between Frame TV and Sonos Amp.  While BT compromises audio quality a little, the new V5.0 chip has great reviews.  Amazon has transmitter/receiver pairs with optical input to match TV and RCA jacks to match Sonos Amp.  I’m hoping Sonos app on phone will control TV volume.  Is this a good solution?

Note that you’ll need to use IR to control Volume.

Buzz, isn’t optical audio out and ARC a “line level” signal where the audio amp controls volume?  When using an external input to Amp, can my phone control TV volume instead of TV remote?

The SONOS controller App can always control Volume. If you are using a TV or cable box remote, Volume can be controlled via CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) commands that travel over the HDMI connection. Control is not possible over the optical connection, but most cable box and TV remotes can be configured to send IR Volume controls. AMP can be trained to respond to these commands if there is a visual path between AMP and the remote.