ERA 300 Rear Surround Placement (Couch against Wall)

• 12 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Hey all, 

Right now I have a beam gen 2, sub gen 3 and two Sonos ones in the home theater setup. I've got to balance my desires for good audio with my wife's desire for room aesthetics, so stands and wall mounts are not an option. Our couch is against the wall and that isn't something that can change.

I'm considering getting new Era 300s to replace my Sonos One surrounds. 

Because our couch is pushed right up against the wall, so currently I have the surrounds sitting on matching shelves that are on either side of the couch, pointing at the listener on the couch. I've used airplay to try make up for the fact the speakers are not behind the listener.

On top of the shelves for the 300s is where I would put them. There would be the clearance above the speaker required with a straight line to the ceiling, and they would be clear on either side of pointing straight away from the wall

If I got era 300s, which way would be best to position them? If I point them at the listener, the side firing drivers would be into the wall. 

The era 300 wall mounts can swivel, but I assume they're supposed to be used on a wall behind the listener rather than inline.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Have you looked into symfonisk frames as a way to physically improve the positioning? I think they aren't particularly attractive and was surprised how much bigger they are in real life, but technically may fit on the rear wall behind the seating, and they sometimes get discounted.

Wouldn't 300s would be wasted on rears, especially as the Ones you have already will be doing a relatively good job given the content being streamed to them? Personally, I'd spend that budget on upgrading the Beam to an ARC.

...Or, if I really just wanted to own some Era 300s, find an excuse  why a second hifi stack is needed (e..g. Line in for vinyl, although I don't really understand this usb-c line-in thing yet) and get the most out of them.

Have you looked into symfonisk frames as a way to physically improve the positioning? I think they aren't particularly attractive and was surprised how much bigger they are in real life, but technically may fit on the rear wall behind the seating, and they sometimes get discounted.

Wouldn't 300s would be wasted on rears, especially as the Ones you have already will be doing a relatively good job given the content being streamed to them? Personally, I'd spend that budget on upgrading the Beam to an ARC.

...Or, if I really just wanted to own some Era 300s, find an excuse  why a second hifi stack is needed (e..g. Line in for vinyl, although I don't really understand this usb-c line-in thing yet) and get the most out of them.

I should have mentioned that I'm not able to upgrade to an arc, because the sound bar has to go in a sound bar slot in the tv unit, that would block the side and upward firing drivers in the arc. So upgrading the era 300 is the only way to achieve upward drivers in my setup

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I should have mentioned that I'm not able to upgrade to an arc, because the sound bar has to go in a sound bar slot in the tv unit, that would block the side and upward firing drivers in the arc. So upgrading the era 300 is the only way to achieve upward drivers in my setup

Got it - after I posted, I wondered if that might be the case. Also wondered if you were planning on listening to spatial music as the Era 300s would offer more there. I find that rear speakers are fairly forgiving on placement in a 5.1 setup.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

should have mentioned that I'm not able to upgrade to an arc, because the sound bar has to go in a sound bar slot in the tv unit, that would block the side and upward firing drivers in the arc. So upgrading the era 300 is the only way to achieve upward drivers in my setup

The 100 day return window might be useful here, not only to see how the positioning impacts the side firing speakers when used as rears (not much to compare it against given that Trueplay/QuickTune will be a big influence), but also if the 300s can be accommodated visually/physically.

I also have the couch against wall issue but will be wall mounting my 300’s (replacing one’s). The difference being that the 300’s need to be 8 inches from the side wall which means moving the mounts and unfortunately some patch and paint work. i am looking forward to getting these.

May I ask, have you bought the Era 300’s, and are you happy with them? Are they on the shelves next to the couch?

I personally havnt. Looking at a move this year now, so that's a pin in any home theater upgrades. I hope you get on well and share your experience if you make the purchase yourself 

I bought the 300 ‘S and mounted them on the shelves. I absolutely love them. Highly recommend.

Badge

I literally am up against the wall too.  I have an Arc, 2 subs and 2 ERA 300s.  We have a two-seat recliner that is only far enough from the wall to recline.  The Era 300s are on stands so I can move them.  I have had them just off to the sides behind us on either side facing the TV which is what I think is the recommended position but have now moved them out a little and more diagonal to the TV facing the listening positions.  Also have issue is that once side is a wall and a large window and the other side is completely open to the next room.  Then add in barrel ceilings and I think the surrounds are playing less because they are so close, but not enough because of the openness. 

Thanks!

-John