DTS X ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have Had my new Arc for a week now and although because of my TV being old I only get DD+ i amd very happy with it. the one thing i find disappointing is the lack of support fo DTS. i have bought several 4k disc that support DTS that i now find i cannot use, will that always be the case ?

is there any possibility this will change ?

Bc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There is always a possibility 🙂. Knowing Sonos they will not support it.

Badge

You can use a player (such as the Xbox one) which can recode DTS to Dolby Atmos on the fly.  This works perfectly with no lip sync issues on my setup (LG C9 - Sonos Arc - Xbox one X)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You can use a player (such as the Xbox one) which can recode DTS to Dolby Atmos on the fly.  This works perfectly with no lip sync issues on my setup (LG C9 - Sonos Arc - Xbox one X)

Thanks 

I may have a look and see if I can pick one up reasonably cheap. otherwise I might as well sell all the uhd DTS disc’s I have 

Bc

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

HI 

Does anyone know if Samsung uhd blu ray spinners will do the same as above and transcode DTS as I read an old playbar thread where this was the case?

Bc

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

To answer my own question.

I bought a Samsung M9000 second hand and set the audio out as DD 5.1 

Works a treat and sounds great.

Although would prefer Sonos to come out with a solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A work around would be ripping the discs and playing them via Kodi on a Shield Tv for example, See this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/will-the-playbase-work-with-shield-tv-6769550?postid=16101976#post16101976

Userlevel 1

I don’t believe this works for DTS:X though?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure if Kodi also is a solution for DTS:X. No way for me to try this.

Badge

> Not sure if Kodi also is a solution for DTS:X

Kodi, VLC, MPV/Mplayer are amazing stuff really. I think they can transcode music by own software codec. But I doubt that they can provide 5.1 or something because. I think stereo only.

But if Kodi can transcode from DTS to AC3 (Dolby formats)...It could be true. Then even Beam could play 5.1 sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Kodi can transcode DTS to 5.1 on my Nvidia Shield. My Beam does play 5.1 from DTS stuff I play on my Shield with Kodi.

Badge

So I suppose that Kody transcodes DTS to Dolby Digital (AC3) without losing chanels.

And seems Plex can do the same.

Userlevel 1

Wake up Sonos. Why don’t you support this? You sure charge enough!

Badge

Sonos doesn't support not only DTS family codecs but support of Dolby codecs are also far from good. For example Dolby TrueHD is also not supported.

Sonos doesn't support not only DTS family codecs but support of Dolby codecs are also far from good. For example Dolby TrueHD is also not supported.

Dolby TrueHD is supported on the Arc.  However, you do need to have an HDMI eARC connection, as ARC is not capable of transmitting TrueHD.

Badge

Sorry forgot to add that I was talking about Beam.

Sorry forgot to add that I was talking about Beam.

Yes, correct on that front.  The Beam doesn’t even support Dolby Digital Plus, for that matter, even though DD+ can be transmitted over ARC.  The Beam actually supports the same codecs as the playbar and playbase.

Badge

And I suppose will never support. Because Beam connects via just ARC, not eARC.

And I suppose will never support. Because Beam connects via just ARC, not eARC.

ARC can handled DD+.   Indeed, I can do DD+ on the Arc through my ARC capable TV.     That said, I don’t know that Sonos considers adding DD+ to the Beam to be much of a priority, since the biggest difference between DD 5.1 and DD+ is Atmos, and the Beam can’t do Atmos content.  The Beam is designed for small/medium sized rooms, where most DD5.1 is really all you need, assuming you’re streaming content only.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Is dts x better than Atmos? I can't understand this fascination with dts codecs, the market leader is Dolby 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Naekyr 
It is the same concept, where two different companies implement it in their own way.

But Sonos is yet to provide us with any DTS support, which is a shame.