Answered

DTS to 5.1 via Playbase

• 9 October 2017
  • 2 replies

I'm aware that this has been raised many times already, but the more I read the more confused I get! ? I have a Panasonic DMP UB900 4K Blu ray player, connected via HDMI to an LG55B7 tv. Which in turn is connected via optical to my Playbase /sub/play 1s.

Problem being the Panasonic doesn't convert DTS to 5.1, and Playbase doesn't do DTS audio.

I think there are players from Samsung and Oppo that can do the conversion- perhaps some kind soul out there could confirm that-so if necessary I'll stick the Panasonic on EBay and get a new player, but is there another way around the problem? I can get stereo sound off the discs but that's a poor substitute for 5.1.
icon

Best answer by opsman 10 October 2017, 09:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Mattsr, Yes you're correct - To my knowledge, of the current 4K players only the Samsung M9000, M9500 and the Oppo 203 can convert DTS to DD5.1 on the fly. Both the Samsungs will output DD5.1 via HDMI so no need for any other cables to your setup. The Oppo only outputs converted DD5.1 via Optical so you'll probably need a optical switch. Admittedly it's not quite as good as the Oppo but i use the M9500 and think it's great. It converts on the fly and sounds great. I also think the picture quality is pretty fantastic as well. Hope this helps.
Thankyou, most helpful. Looks like the Panasonic will be heading for Ebay! ?