Answered

DTS on sonos coming soon

• 19 September 2021
  • 65 replies

Hi all. Is it true or has anyone heard that DTS will be coming soon by the end of the year ?

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1631624400

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 19 September 2021, 09:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hmm, so I’ve updated but it’s not working for me. I’m using an LG B9, which I understand has DTS

support. But when I play DTS discs, I’m getting ‘Unsupported TV audio’ on the app and no sound.

Quote from Reddit:

“level 2

meanerJake

· 3h

I am able to play back Dolby DTS-HD and I am hearing all channels correctly, the Sonos App shows the source as Multichannel PCM 5.1.

I tried swapping settings on the TV from passthrough to auto to pcm, only passthrough works properly.

I have an LG OLED C9.

For the audio source I am using a bluray disc.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/qv9iv5/134_ios_released_and_new_firmware/

Thanks - yeah, still no luck, mine’s set to pass through.

I have a horrible feeling this is down to the blu ray player I have, the dreaded Panasonic UB820.

Does anyone have this setup and can confirm DTS is finally working?

Oh No!  Yes that is the problem. As I commented above, I have the same Panasonic UB820 and it doesn’t play well with Sonos for my DTS only blu-rays. I had to buy a second player just to play DTS only blu-rays in multichannel PCM on the Sonos Arc.

Drat. Was really hoping this update would get around that somehow.

So is my only option either a new player or an HDFury?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hmm, so I’ve updated but it’s not working for me. I’m using an LG B9, which I understand has DTS

support. But when I play DTS discs, I’m getting ‘Unsupported TV audio’ on the app and no sound.

Quote from Reddit:

“level 2

meanerJake

· 3h

I am able to play back Dolby DTS-HD and I am hearing all channels correctly, the Sonos App shows the source as Multichannel PCM 5.1.

I tried swapping settings on the TV from passthrough to auto to pcm, only passthrough works properly.

I have an LG OLED C9.

For the audio source I am using a bluray disc.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/qv9iv5/134_ios_released_and_new_firmware/

Thanks - yeah, still no luck, mine’s set to pass through.

I have a horrible feeling this is down to the blu ray player I have, the dreaded Panasonic UB820.

Does anyone have this setup and can confirm DTS is finally working?

Oh No!  Yes that is the problem. As I commented above, I have the same Panasonic UB820 and it doesn’t play well with Sonos for my DTS only blu-rays. I had to buy a second player just to play DTS only blu-rays in multichannel PCM on the Sonos Arc.

Drat. Was really hoping this update would get around that somehow.

So is my only option either a new player or an HDFury?

Unfortunately, from what I have spent far too much time out of my life googling and experimenting, options are limited to another player or something like the HDFury. The Sony player I bought cost a little less than the HDFury and I could have returned it for free if it didn't work out. Others use the Sony PlayStation too. 

Huge PITA that I wish I would have known about before buying all these components. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

My app is showing DTS Surround sound 5.1 now after the update. I have Panasonic VT60 hooked to Nvidia shield and I am playing my stream through Kodi which is setup as Passthrough.

DTS working okay here too.. 👍

Blu-Ray Player to Sonos Arc

LG C9 TV set to ‘pass-through’

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

DTS working okay here too.. 👍

Blu-Ray Player to Sonos Arc

LG C9 TV set to ‘pass-through’

Blu-Ray Player to Sonos Arc?

Hi Ken, which Blu-ray player ? Also what configuration on your LG C9 allows you to connect your Blu-ray player directly to the Sonos Arc and then view the movie on the TV?

I am sure Ken can answer for himself when he comes back on, but I don’t think he is suggesting a direct connection from BRP to Arc, just that he can now get DTS audio from his BRP playing on the Arc by passing it through the TV

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I am sure Ken can answer for himself when he comes back on, but I don’t think he is suggesting a direct connection from BRP to Arc, just that he can now get DTS audio from his BRP playing on the Arc by passing it through the TV

I had a slight hope he had figured something out to bypass the TV without the complications of something like the HDFury, which might solve the Panasonic UB820 DTS to ARC issue blocked by my TV. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had a slight hope he had figured something out to bypass the TV without the complications of something like the HDFury, which might solve the Panasonic UB820 DTS to ARC issue blocked by my TV. 

As an update to my post further up, I have the UB820 and am now getting DTS 5.1 for my DTS Blu Rays.

The only downside is it required me to toggle eARC off for the Arc, but it’s easy to toggle it on/off, and actually having it off still gave me Atmos and the like.

I can talk through my settings if helpful?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

As an update to my post further up, I have the UB820 and am now getting DTS 5.1 for my DTS Blu Rays.

The only downside is it required me to toggle eARC off for the Arc, but it’s easy to toggle it on/off, and actually having it off still gave me Atmos and the like.

Interesting! Please explain. My LG CX still doesn't support DTS, but I’ll give it a try anyway. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Interesting! Please explain. My LG CX still doesn't support DTS, but I’ll give it a try anyway. 

Player settings (UB820):

DTS/DTS-HD - Bitstream

BD-Video Secondary Audio - Automatic

LG B9 settings:

Digital Sound Out - Passthrough

eARC - Off

Mine is a B9 but someone with a C9 has said this worked for them too. It may not work for CXs but worth giving a shot.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

B9 and C9 can pass DTS as have the codecs. C1, CX new ones etc had codecs removed. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Player settings (UB820):

DTS/DTS-HD - Bitstream

BD-Video Secondary Audio - Automatic

LG B9 settings:

Digital Sound Out - Passthrough

eARC - Off

Mine is a B9 but someone with a C9 has said this worked for them too. It may not work for CXs but worth giving a shot.

Thank you. Sadly for me, not the solution through my LG CX TV and my Panasonic UB820. But was worth a try as I was hoping maybe it would at least allow LCPM to pass through from the Panasonic UB820. 

Happy for you! I know how meaningful the sound experience when you can play a DTS only Blu-ray without miserable PCM Stereo on the Sonos Arc. When I switched to using the Sony Blu-ray player for DTS only blu-rays and heard Multichannel PCM Surround Sound for the first It was a jump for joy! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

B9 and C9 can pass DTS as have the codecs. C1, CX new ones etc had codecs removed. 

Do you think LG realizes how much stress and frustration they have caused so many with lack of DTS support? I had no idea how many of my blu-rays are some form of DTS only in English but DD 5.1 for other languages on the same disc for some strange reason. Also, many of the newly 4K remastered Blu-rays come in DTS only too. 

Wondering if the codecs can be added to the C1, CX via firmware at some point? I guess if it could, LG would have added it already…like they did with older models.

At least Sonos finally came around to realizing DTS-less misery for so many of its customers. Very happy they took the effort and cost to add DTS 👍🏼👍🏼

If only I knew what I have had to learn the hard way, just a few months ago when I spent thousands and purchased all of this new gear that something that costs $20, a 4K UHD Blu-ray DTS only Disc, could cause so much frustration.  

On the flip side. LG CX, Sonos Arc 5.1 and Dolby Atmos blu-rays are WOWx 10 ! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

What player have you got, as you be able to convert it to multichannel pcm. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

What player have you got, as you be able to convert it to multichannel pcm. 

Yes. I ended up buying a second Blu-ray player ( Sony X700/M) that does pass-through LCPM through the LG CX TV to the Sonos Arc. This is an excellent work-around.

My first blu-ray player purchase til this day, even after Sonos ARC firmware updates supporting LCPM and now DTS, the Panasonic DP-UB820, will not pass DTS or LCPM through the LG CX to the Sonos ARC. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok so I've updated my Sonos app tonight to include the DTS support but it's still not working. When I play Alien 4K Disc on my Panasonic player it still says Stereo PCM on the app as before. What's going wrong here? 😪😭😢

Userlevel 7

Ok so I've updated my Sonos app tonight to include the DTS support but it's still not working. When I play Alien 4K Disc on my Panasonic player it still says Stereo PCM on the app as before. What's going wrong here? 😪😭😢

Be sure the DTS setting on the Panasonic player is set to Bitstream and set the Secondary Audio setting to ON.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Be sure the DTS setting on the Panasonic player is set to Bitstream and set the Secondary Audio setting to ON.

That doesn't work either. It still says Stereo PCM. If I change DTS setting to PCM it then says on the Sonos app Dolby Digital 5.1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That doesn't work either. It still says Stereo PCM. If I change DTS setting to PCM it then says on the Sonos app Dolby Digital 5.1

Can someone tell which settings these need to be set at to get DTS 5.1 working. Thanks

Userlevel 7

@joanna72 What specific model TV do you own? Can you send screen shots of the audio settings on your TV?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@joanna72 What specific model TV do you own? Can you send screen shots of the audio settings on your TV?

The TV is a Sony Bravia 4K VH2 2021 model. I didn't think tv sound settings mattered.

Userlevel 7

@joanna72 Set Pass Through Mode to ON or AUTO.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@joanna72 Set Pass Through Mode to ON or AUTO.

That worked. I changed some of the tv audio output settings. I now got this showing on my app. I guess that's fixed it? Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I got to say I’ve given up on getting dts to work on my Xbox series x, Reading through these forums I’m amazed what hoops people needed to do to get Dts work, so I’m going to pull out my old blu ray player connect to my switch and hope for the best.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I got to say I’ve given up on getting dts to work on my Xbox series x, Reading through these forums I’m amazed what hoops people needed to go through to get Dts to work, so I’m going to pull out my old blu ray player connect to my switch and hope for the best.