Answered

DTS on LG series C for Sonos Arc

• 27 December 2021
  • 29 replies

Badge +1

Hello guys 

I’ve been so happy for weeks since the last upgrade in the Sonos ecosystem that provides support fort DTS, even though it does not accept DTS HD or DTS-X, still it’s very good news for us who love physical media. 

My current setup is as follows:

LG OLED 65 of 2017 ( it does support DTS )

Sonos Arc connected to LG through eARC ( Arc+2 Subwofers + 2 Sonos One )

Panasonic 4k Blu-Ray player DP-UB9004EG1 connected by HDMI to the TV. 

Before the Sonos upgrade, I was reproducing my blurays and 4k blurays which don’t have Atmos or Dolby audio using the Xbox and the Dolby application. It does the job, although the sound and picture are not the same as I get using my 4k player. Now everything works fine with the Sonos upgrade, so I can reproduce any movie using my BD 4k Player. I’ve seen again Gladiator and Interstellar and the sound was amazing. 

The issue I have now is the following. I was thinking in buying a new LG OLED 77 inches series C of 2021, but I read that they don’t support anymore DTS. As I have no way to connect the 4k Bluray player to my Sonos Arc, is there any way to solve this problem ? I mean, I won’t be able to play anymore any content in DTS because  the eARC will not transfer the audio to the sonos arc, right ?

Is there any other OLED branch as good as LG that support DTS ? 

Or is there any other solution that will work the same way as it does now ?

Thank you all for your help

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 28 December 2021, 13:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7

The new LG models do not support DTS pass through. But If you upgrade to a TV with HDMI eARC, you can set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM which would result in the Arc playing lossless multichannel PCM audio which sounds just as good as DTS-HD Master Audio. A TV with eARC will also allow you to play lossless Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos from supported Blu-ray discs too.

Userlevel 7

Hi

I have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 connected to HDMI 3 on my LG OLED 65  Inch 2019 model with Audio set to “pass-through”. To listen to DTS over the Arc (connected to HDMI eARC) I change the Digital Audio Output on the Panasonic to “On” for BD-Video Secondary Audio as shown in the picture. I set it to “Off” when not viewing a DTS encoded disc. Hope this helps.

Badge +1

Hello

Thank you all for your answers. 

Regarding the LG 2019, it works because LG does not support DTS since 2020. 

Regarding convert the DTS to PCM, well I tried that when Sonos was not compatible with DTS, and the sound that I got was PCM Stereo 2.0, so kind of sucks. I was using eARC in my TV. That is why I played those blurays using the Xbox Series X with the Dolby Application which converts the sound to Dolby Digital. It is not great, but it is much better than PCM Stereo 2.0 

Is there any other TV branch in OLED which support DTS ? Panasonic or Sony ? Or every single TV maker is unsupporting DTS. I spent 3000 Euros in my Sonos Home Cinema, 1000 in my Bluray 4k Player, and if I buy a new TV which is something between 3 and 4 thousand euros, well I would like to have the best picture/sound you can buy with that money. Not a nightmare just to play my 4k Blurays which don’t have Atmos, or my normal blurays. My Panasonic Bluray makes an amazing job up-scaling and now I can enjoy the best sound and picture with my current LG 2017. 

So, what might be your suggestion ? Buy an LG of 2019, if that is even possible ? Or perhaps Sony or Panasonic OLED still support DTS ?

Thank you again 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Rhz1971 

Maybe you missed my other comment that the Audio on my LG is set to “pass-through”. With that setting the TV audio electronics are not involved. The audio “passes through” unabated. In short it doesn’t matter if the TV supports DTS sound or any codec for that matter via it’s internal speakers. Also as you see in the picture the DTS audio is processed by my Panasonic DP-UB9000.

Question: Do you know how to set the  audio “pass-through” option on your LG? BTW my 2020 and 2021 LG’s have that setting.

Badge +1

Hi @AjTrek1 

So, if I buy one LG C1 of 2021 77 inches the only thing I have to do is to configure as “pass through”. I understood something completely different in a post I read. 

If the TV does not support DTS , I thought that it was unable to pass it through the soundbar ( Arc ) when the sound comes from the bluray, as it comes by HDMI and then goes to eARC for the audio return to the soundbar. 

So in your case everything works and the only thing is that when you play something with DTS, you change BD-Video Secondary Audio to ON ? When is dolby then you put it as OFF ? 

Thank you again

Userlevel 7

Yes to your questions. 

Your connections/settings should be:

TV internal speakers set to off and select external speakers

HDMI Audio set to pass-through

Panasonic or external source to an available HDMI port

Arc or Beam 2 to HDMI eARC

You can configure your current LG in this manner as a proof to yourself. Also, my LG doesn’t have a specific setting for DTS…it does for Dolby Atmos. Where in the audio menu do you see a DTS setting.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Unfortunately newer lg TVs will not pass through dts it is not supported by lg no matter what settings you change 

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately newer lg TVs will not pass through dts it is not supported by lg no matter what settings you change 

OK I may be mistaken regarding the newer LG models. I’ll have to test that on my newer models. If that’s the case then getting a HD Fury Arcana should resolve the issue. Thanks! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes that would work 

I have an lgb8 which does pass the dts signal but as I have moved on from physical media and stream my movie collection I have no need to upgrade my screen 

All streamed media uses dd+ so until that changes my tv is good for now 😊

Spending money to upgrade to earc and 2.1 makes no sense as does hdfury 

One day when they upgrade streaming this may change

Badge +1

Hi @skullc 

Is there any other OLED TV at 120HZ which support DTS ? Sony or Panasonic ? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I have not researched it but I am betting sony would but unsure as to whether it plays nice with sonos 

I would google or YouTube it a lot before deciding as sony TVs are not the cheapest 

Why 120hz? Are you gaming on it as movie watching is not dependant on that

Badge +1

I am gaming too, that is the reason why I want to upgrade my TV. I’ve been very happy with my LG OLED, and I wanted to buy a new LG 2021, but now it becomes an issue due to the DTS. How the HDMI Arcana can solve this issue ?

I mean, I guess I would connect the Sonos ARC to the ARCANA and then the ARCANA to the eARC in the TV. Everything else ( 4k Bluray, PS5, Xbox ) will go to the TV as normal. 

But if the TV does not support DTS, wouldn’t I be in the same situation as before ? I saw several models of the HDMI Arcana in Amazon, and no idea which one is the one should I buy.

Userlevel 7

Regarding convert the DTS to PCM, well I tried that when Sonos was not compatible with DTS, and the sound that I got was PCM Stereo 2.0, so kind of sucks. I was using eARC in my TV. That is why I played those blurays using the Xbox Series X with the Dolby Application which converts the sound to Dolby Digital. It is not great, but it is much better than PCM Stereo 2.0 

If your current TV is from 2017, more than likely it does NOT have eARC. This is why setting your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM doesn’t currently work. But if your new TV has eARC, you will be able to do what I posted in my original comment. Lossless Multichannel PCM audio is far better than lossy DTS Digital Surround. So if I were you, I wouldn’t be as concerned with getting a new TV with DTS pass through. The most important feature to have on the new TV is HDMI eARC.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Or watch dts blurays on the xbox and set it up to process the audio it converts it to dolby atmos 

I use my series x as my bluray player for this reason 

Hdfury is the one you need and this does pass through dts

Userlevel 7

Or watch dts blurays on the xbox and set it up to process the audio it converts it to dolby atmos 

I use my series x as my bluray player for this reason 

But this isn’t true Dolby Atmos. Multichannel PCM is closer to the audio quality of DTS-HD Master Audio.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It is dolby atmos just not dolby master HD atmos 

Userlevel 7

It is dolby atmos just not dolby master HD atmos 

A DTS-HD Master Audio track doesn’t include any height channel information. So I’m not sure how an Xbox can convert that into Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

If your interest is in  a full blown dts-hd system then sonos is not the best way to get it 

Separates with all the wiring is the way to get that sonos is a way to get a reasonable sound without all the wires and it does a good job at it 

All systems have some form of compromise 

Unfortunately sonos is not the best way to get dts

Badge +1

I tried the solution to use the Xbox Series X for playing 4k blurays with DTS HD or DTS X and even though the Sonos app says is Dolby Atmos, it is not. For me that sound is not really good. I compared it  using the DTS support from Sonos and the effects and the surround are much better. At least, for my taste. Besides, the picture quality between my Xbox and my Panasonic 4k player is the other point. Nothing compares to the quality I get in picture with my 4k player, that is why I spent so much money on it.  

@GuitarSuperstar, you are right and it is ARC, so my mistake. Thus, if I buy a LG C1 of 2021 which does not have eARC, the solution to convert the sound in the 4k bluray from DTS to PCM should not work, right ? Because the TV will receive PCM from the 4k Player and then it will reproduce PCM stereo 2.0 , as of now.   

But what would be your recommendation, using the ARCANA ? What would happen with the games that I have for PS5 and Xbox which contain DTS ? 

If I use the arcana, can anyone tell me which one should I buy ?

Badge +1

If your interest is in  a full blown dts-hd system then sonos is not the best way to get it 

Separates with all the wiring is the way to get that sonos is a way to get a reasonable sound without all the wires and it does a good job at it 

All systems have some form of compromise 

Unfortunately sonos is not the best way to get dts

I am not interested in a DTSHD system. I want to have what I have right now, which is being able to reproduce any DTS sound in my 4k bluray or standard bluray with my TV and my Sonos ARC. So, if I buy a new LG OLED 2021, then I would be in the same situation, because it does not have eARC. How the arcana can solve this problem ? and do you know which one of the models is the one who does it ?

Most and most of the studios are using already Dolby Atmos in 4K blurays, but still Nolan’s movies will keep coming with DTS. Also most of the Universal Movies have DTS audio. Besides Dysney has announced that its streaming service will support DTS in the near future. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

This is the hdfury you need 

LG 2021 tv is earc but does not support dts I guess that it is a licencing thing

I cannot comment on discs that are coming out in dts as i don't buy them anymore 

As for dts streaming I have not seen any information on it as dts does not interest me

The comment you included was just an observation to the other poster not you 😊

Badge +1

thank you again @skullc 

So, you were right and the LG 2021 has eARC. But as it does not support DTS, will the ARCANA solve the issue for PCM multichannel reproduction or I will get PCM stereo 2.0 ?`

Or using the feature on my 4k player that allows me to transfer any DTS sound as PCM will solve the problem as the TV will not receive anymore DTS but PCM ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Think it will if you read the specs on the arcana it should tell you 

Good luck getting it to work 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

With the C1, you will still have trouble with the UB9000/Arc alone no matter what settings you use on the UB9000 and the TV; it will always be Stereo PCM for any DTS variant audio disc. 

To get the conversion to multichannel pcm, I have a DR HDMI 4K device that allows the UB9000 and LG G1 to handshake properly and will send the converted data through to the Arc. This takes some manual setup on your PC to mess with the EDID stuff. I've heard the Arcana works for some as well and also that it doesn't after some update, but have not tried that myself. If you go either of those routes, I recommend putting the device between the UB9000 and the C1 so that all of your other devices (game consoles, etc) can flow through the C1 unimpeded.

If you sort the handshake problem between the C1/UB9000, the C1 will still report as multichannel PCM 7.1 always to the Arc, even for 5.1 mixes. I've heard mixed things about this, some say they lose 2 channels worth of audio, others say it sounds just fine. I still have not tested against a properly handled DTS variant mix, so can't comment accurately. It might be a "you don't know what you're missing thing".

The combo continues to he incredible for gaming (PS5/Xbox series x), Dolby audio discs and streaming movies/shows. Side note, the PS5 can be set up to report DTS variant audio as multichannel PCM 7.1 through the C1 to the Arc without the need of the little hdfury devices mentioned above...though you then won't get the quality of the UB9000 and it won't support Dolby Vision.

Regardless of the path you take, I wish you well! I spent entirely too long on this specific combo of technologies. I can't find a better combo out there for gaming, so I stick with the setup I have for now. I'm sure competitors will catch up...and offer their own combinations of problems in to the mix. In reality, there likely isn't and won't be a single setup that does everything you want the best which I have come to terms with.

Userlevel 7

@Rhz1971 This thread has gone a little astray. Let me try to simplify the information given and provide you the best options for what you are wanting to achieve:

If you want to keep your current TV, get the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. This will allow your Blu-ray player to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. This will allow you to get the highest quality audio from Blu-ray discs (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, and multichannel PCM audio from DTS-encoded discs). I use the Arcana with a Panasonic UB820 player and an old plasma TV from 2013 and it works great.

NOTE: If you want to use more than one external media device with the Arcana, you will need to get an HDMI switch. This ROOFULL switch works well with the Arcana:
https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Switch-Vision-Switcher-Compatible/dp/B07CF793HQ

Purchase the Arcana from this link:
https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

If you plan on getting a new TV equipped with HDMI eARC, an Arcana is not required. BUT if you plan on getting a new LG TV, there is a known problem with LG TVs and Panasonic Blu-ray players. With this combination, you CANNOT get multichannel PCM to play out of the Arc. So in this case, the Arcana would still be the best option even with a new LG TV.

But if you choose another TV brand that isn’t an LG, your Panasonic player should work fine with the TV and send multichannel PCM audio to the Arc.

If you get a new LG TV, you could use your Xbox to play Blu-ray discs instead of the Panasonic player, and the Xbox should be able to convert DTS to PCM and result in multichannel PCM audio. But this option would leave out your Panasonic player which I assume is your preferred option to play Blu-ray discs. The UB9004 is a fantastic Blu-ray player.

The DR HDMI 4K device mentioned above is another option, but as @Hebassaurus mentioned, it takes some effort to set it up correctly. The Arcana is a far simpler and more user-friendly option.