DTS is returning

Userlevel 2

Dear Sonos,

It's time to support al DTS formats. DTS support is returning to TVs, for example with the lg g3 en c3. Watching 4k movies on Blu Ray is just amazing with the Sonos surround set and Dolby Atmos (arc+era300+sub). But many of the best films, like the Christopher Nolan films, use DTS and not dolby. So please, update the system:). 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

DTS support was added a while back, when the patent for it expired.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Think he means dts-x and HD support not the free 5.1 version 

Userlevel 2

Dear Sonos,

It's time to support all DTS formats like dts-hd. DTS support is returning to TVs, for example with the lg g3 en c3. Watching 4k movies on Blu Ray is just amazing with the Sonos surround set and Dolby Atmos (arc+era300+sub). But many of the best films, like the Christopher Nolan films, use DTS and not dolby. So please, update the system:). 

Userlevel 1

The vast majority of my movies and shows are DTS-HD or DTS-X. The lack of support is maybe the biggest detraction for my Sonos set, for me. 

Userlevel 7

The vast majority of my movies and shows are DTS-HD or DTS-X. The lack of support is maybe the biggest detraction for my Sonos set, for me. 

Did you know you can set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM so you will get Multichannel PCM audio from all of your DTS-encoded discs?

Userlevel 1

Did you know you can set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM so you will get Multichannel PCM audio from all of your DTS-encoded discs?

Yes indeed. The player for the room I have my Sonos set in is my Playstation 5 anyways, so in the options there I can output in LPCM (which I do if I have -X or -HD discs) or Bitstream for the Dolby or regular DTS discs. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I’ve got >50 4K Ultra discs in DTS:X format. It sure would be nice to get the full object oriented audio with full DTS:X support in my Sonos HT setup…

(I have well over 600 additional Blu Ray discs in DTS-HD format, but the conversion to LPCM for that non-object oriented audio is perfectly fine for me.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Unfortunately for me my bluray player when set to pcm for dts-hd output is in stereo pcm on my sonos system.

There is no lpcm option so I am hoping they will support dts-x and HD before it annoys me enough to look elsewhere for my HT pleasure 😊

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately for me my bluray player when set to pcm for dts-hd output is in stereo pcm on my sonos system.

There is no lpcm option so I am hoping they will support dts-x and HD before it annoys me enough to look elsewhere for my HT pleasure 😊

What model Blu-ray player do you have? Is your TV equipped with eARC?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

No earc but it passes through dolby atmos compressed and dts 5.1 with no problems 

Panasonic ub820 bluray player 

Userlevel 7

No earc but it passes through dolby atmos compressed and dts 5.1 with no problems 

Panasonic ub820 bluray player 

eARC is required for Multichannel PCM, DTS-HD Master Audio, and DTS:X. So even if Sonos supported the latter two formats, you still wouldn’t be able to play them with your current setup.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes I  know I will probably replace the arc at some point 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Imax Enhanced certification may eventually push Sonos to change tack.

If it doesn’t include a licensing fee, certainly possible.

If, of course, there’s enough horsepower in the various CPU that runs each soundbar type to handle it, and enough RAM to handle the increased footprint for the size of the code base. 

I’d imagine it would be hard for Sonos to pony up licensing fees for every speaker they’ve sold since they started, which is often how those licensing fees are structured. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Will be a while before we will know how IMAX enhanced goes but if it does well I would imagine Sonos would release new products rather than back date it to older ones.

Agreed…but then they’d need to release new Subs and Surround speakers, too, and cause everyone who wants this to repurchase everything. It would certainly make it easier to bury any increased license cost/fees into the new speakers, though. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Would they need to release new subs and surrounds though? The processing would be done in the soundbar, whether Arc or Beam so not so sure about that.

I suspect it would depend on the license payments (if required). Some of the licenses I looked at years ago said you had to pay a fee for every speaker that was part of the playback. It would be challenging for Sonos if they had to pay (for instance) an extra 50 cents for some portion of the PLAY:1s that have already been sold. Much easier, I would think, to ‘hide’ that fee in the cost of a new speaker, which would make the accounting process for that whole license tracking a billion times easier.

Mind you, this is all speculation, based on the licenses I’ve read from 20 plus years ago, and some assumptions on how Sonos would want to work as a company, to meet the oddities of the license process. And, of course, it may be that the Dolby folks are not as strict about the way these agreements are implemented these days. The problem is, it just never is as straight forward as we, the consumers, want it to be. And most companies don’t go out of their way to explain/expose that information. 

Userlevel 1

To Sonos attention

From “Flatpanelshd.com” site review of LG C3 TV

“LG C3 supports Dolby audio formats up to Dolby Atmos for internal playback and output via HDMI eARC, which worked as expected in our testing. LG has also added back support for DTS audio, meaning that you can output DTS to an external device; DTS via optical and HDMI ARC as well as DTS-HD MA and DTS:X via HDMI eARC. Earlier this year, LG would not commit to also support DTS decoding for use with the internal TV speakers but in our testing of 2023 LG OLED TVs, C3 decoded both DTS:X og DTS-HD MA sources for playback on the TV speakers. We applaud LG for listening to users to once again partner with both of the most popular audio companies.”

And you Sonos will listen to your customers??

Deleted