Answered

Dolby Atmos True HD Sources?.

• 3 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello all, just a quick question to ask what content people are playing that provides Dolby Atmos True HD?.

4k Blu-ray seems to be one but what else?.

Still weighing up options, I have an Nvidia Shield Pro that is capable of 4k and Atmos True HD output from streaming services.

Is Dolby Digital Atmos compressed noticeable poorer than Atmos True HD?.

I presume best Netflix offer is DD+?.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 July 2022, 18:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

The best Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos source is Blu-ray discs (both 1080p and 4K). Since you have an Nvidia Shield, you can also play Blu-ray rips in Dolby TrueHD from Plex.

Streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ only offer compressed Dolby Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus.

I personally think there is a pretty noticeable difference between Dolby TrueHD Atmos compared to Dolby Digital Plus Atmos. I prefer the former.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

That's what I thought source wise (Blu-ray), and interesting you say there is a noticeable difference between DD+ and True-HD.

I think an ARC + Arcana and investing in some 4k Blu Ray films is my best bet. 

Will look into Plex, we have a WD MyCloud so probably a new home Media Server is required as well to run that..