Answered

Dolby Atmos Sonos Arc 5.1 sound issue

• 12 October 2020
  • 19 replies

I have the following setup:

-Sony X950G with eArc output

-Apple TV 4K

-Sonos Arc with two Sonos Ones 5.1 setup and  sonos boost

So my problem is, whenever I play dolby atmos content on apple tv, the center channel sound on sonos arc shifts back and forth to sonos ones, which is quite disturbing. Its like sonos arc is incapable of handling the atmos content, gives up and all sound is coming from sonos ones for few seconds and then suddenly arc picks up the sound again. 

Non Dolby Atmos content plays just fine.

Anyone has any idea what’s going on!? I haven’t been able to enjoy Atmos content for once since I have bought this sonos arc in August. 

icon

Best answer by ekwok 21 October 2020, 07:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @IamGroot.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post here outlining your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

To better understand, kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will also help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

You can also check which audio codec/format the Arc is receiving using the Sonos app:

Settings > System > About my System > Sonos System Info > Audio In

For reference, this article outlines the main factors that determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. 

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

@IamGroot 

I’m having the same issues. I have the Arc and sub along with in ceiling rear speakers powered by the Sonos connect amp and Atmos is either doing what you described or cutting out entirely during certain scenes using my Xbox One X. Everything is hardwired via Ethernet and I am using the E-Arc port on my Samsung. Very frustrating. I’m considering switching everything to 5.1 Dolby since the system handles that without issue.

Atmos is very unreliable right now. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @angeloj97.

Thanks for reaching out and for bringing this up to our attention, I’d be glad to help.

It’s important to know first what audio codec/format the Arc is receiving, it will be displayed within the Sonos App on both the "Now Playing" screen, and within the settings portion of our app.

Settings > System > About my System > Sonos System Info > Audio In

Then, kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will also help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

You may also check this article that outlines the main factors that determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

@Annazel S 

The app always shows that Atmos is playing when these issues occur. I never have issues with any other format. I have submitted diagnostics in the past but it may be difficult to submit one at the moment the issue happens. This is often within a few second time frame. Does it need to be at the exact moment the audio trips up? 

Thanks for your help-

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @angeloj97.

Thanks for your response.

You can submit the diagnostic within about 10 minutes after it happens.

Submitting a diagnostic through the Sonos app provides us with a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, if you have any questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out, we're always here to help.

@Annazel S 

Thanks for the heads up! It just happened while watching 4K content on Netflix. Towards the end of the show, there were scenes that triggered the surround sound to engage the rear speakers incorrectly. The audio was kind of tripping up.

The confirmation number for the diagnostic is: 1386956690

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Guys, this problem is not from Sonos Arc, it is Netflix app in ATV4K. I have the same thing happening too. It happens more when the internet connection bandwidth fluctuates. That’s why it happens more in the evening at home for me when every neighbour are streaming heavily. Try to note whether it happens with you too when the traffic slows down.

I am using Nvidia Shield to stream Netflix, everything else, I prefer the ATV4K for its Content Matching feature. Hopefully Netflix will fix that in cooperation with Apple.

This is an example thread that happened end of last year, before the Arc even exists in the market:

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/dh82z9/atmos_wrong_speaker_issue_with_netflix_atv_app/

Userlevel 2

Same issue for me as well

@ekwok

I’ve tested other 4K content using different apps and it does the same thing. Even watching a physical disc on the Xbox One X. I’m not saying it’s Sonos - maybe I have something configured wrong but Atmos is definitely is use, all of my gear is compatible and I don’t have these issues if I switch the sound to 5.1.

With the DVD the issue is reproducible in the same spots, even though the majority of the movie plays fine. It’s odd. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Many thanks to @ekwok, for helping out.

Hi @scott_od.

Thanks for reaching out, I’d be glad to help and try to figure this out.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will also help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi @angeloj97.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, the system detected that Arc receives a Dolby Atmos (MAT) codec.

We appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us, but at this point, it would be best to reach out to

Sonos Support so we can take a closer look at this in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Guys, this problem is not from Sonos Arc, it is Netflix app in ATV4K. I have the same thing happening too. It happens more when the internet connection bandwidth fluctuates. That’s why it happens more in the evening at home for me when every neighbour are streaming heavily. Try to note whether it happens with you too when the traffic slows down.

I am using Nvidia Shield to stream Netflix, everything else, I prefer the ATV4K for its Content Matching feature. Hopefully Netflix will fix that in cooperation with Apple.

This is an example thread that happened end of last year, before the Arc even exists in the market:

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/dh82z9/atmos_wrong_speaker_issue_with_netflix_atv_app/

It is also happening with Roku Ultra, so it is a Sonos issues.  I have used the Arc since it came out with an ATV4k and it has always worked until now.  Tested with Mandalorian, Amazon Prime/Netflix all Atmos and same sound issues on ATV4k and Roku Ultra.  

This has to be fixed asap.

Tested Atmos on same sources on my Sony A9G built in speakers and Atmos played just fine, so definitely a Sonos Arc issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi everyone. Thank you for your patience in this. It will be helpful to submit a diagnostic report on the Sonos app after a few minutes when the issue happens and reach out to Sonos Support, as we can take a closer look and discuss it with all of you individually in real-time. 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

Same issue here.

No issues on non Atmos content, but as described above on Atmos content (Netflix, Apple TV 4k).

Just got the One sl up on the walls this evening and now this. Sigh.

Hope there is a solution soon.

Diag report: 2053969004

Badge +2

I am having the same issue as well! It’s as if the center speaker moves from the arc to the surrounds and then back again. Some times if I reboot the arc it helps a little but it comes back again the next time watch something! Today it has happened every single time I sit down to watch something on Netflix.

This is really bad!

peoples voices jumping all around the room, it sounds terrible!

I have the same problem.  I also have a Sony 950G, AppleTV 4k, Arc, Sub Gen 3, 2 ones.  Audio gets crackly and jumps back and forth unpredictably.  Have tried everything to fix it.

The solution for me was to disable Atmos in the Apple TV sound settings. Sad I know but as long as there is a problem with Atmos content. Hopefully there is a fix soon, so that it can be enabled again. Atmos content did work flawless (some lip sync issues though) when using the Arc without surrounds.

My setup is:

Atv 4k

Philips Oled

Arc + One SL surrounds.

We are having the same issue. I will disable the ATMOS on apple tv. Looks like this has been going on for months now without any resolution :( 

Setup 

LG C9 

Apple TV

ARC

2 x One SL

@ekwok I think you’re correct. Its the Netflix app on apple tv along with some other apps. I played the same content on netflix app installed on my sony x950g tv, had no issues in dolby atmos.

I urge everyone to try the same content on app installed on Tvs, and see if you experience the atmos sound issues again. 

Apple needs to work with app developers and fix the sound issues ASAP.

@ekwok i agree too, I had flux in bandwidth when the problem started this weekend. So I tried today activated Atmos on atv. Had a steady 190 Mbps over my Google wifi to the atv and had no issues. I will probably wire my atv up.