Dolby Atmos

• 11 January 2017
  • 7 replies

Is Sonos looking at Supporting Dolby Atmos in the future?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

In the past, Sonos has declined to share their roadmap with the consumers, except in extreme circumstances (Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Echo). So I doubt they'll comment on Dolby Atmos.

Although count me in if they do 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I’ve spend 2000 euro on my Sonos 5.1 surround system.

And still there is no DTS support after all those years! It’s a shame???

Now what Sonos has to do
Is support Dolby Atmos for the Sonos Playbar. Make your old loyal customers from the beginning happy again.
Make it happend Sonos and now start listening to your loyal customers in 2019????

We want it and right now!!!is the big Boss from Sonos reading this? Come on do your homework and lets go!!!!
Its 2019 and the Sonos Playbar needs this Dolby Atmos support. Then we can
Enjoy the full surround experience from our expensive Sonos Home Cinema setup.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
It’s very unlikely the current generation of Playbar will support Atmos as it only has an optical input. Also they will need to release upward firing speakers. Better chances with the beam. I would like to see Sonos release some Atmos speaking and an update to use the beam purely as a centre speaker allowing for the addition of front left and right speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It is *impossible* for the Playbar/Playbase to support Atmos because of the optical input. Ditto Dolby Digital Plus. You can't fit a quart into a pint pot.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
It is *impossible* for the Playbar/Playbase to support Atmos because of the optical input. Ditto Dolby Digital Plus. You can't fit a quart into a pint pot.

But DTS is theoretically possible. Even over HDMI, Atmos is virtually pointless without the additional ceiling mounted or upfiring speakers required for vertical separation.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Interesting rumor: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/10/18176624/sonos-dolby-atmos-reddit-survey-sonos-core-sub

Guess we'll have to wait and see. What I always wonder is why SONOS just can't support the channel separation required for ATMOS and just let the consumer select it as an option with the addition of ceiling mounted units. More expensive than a single upward firing unit, but what the heck. It's just money. Lol!
While I'd like to see it in the future, I can see why it doesn't currently exist. As pointed out already, the playbar and playbase use optical, so that's a no go. The beam isn't built for large rooms, so that's not a great option. Then there is the Sonos amp, which will work, but not appeal to a many customers. In short they really need a playbar 2.0.

And Sonos can't just release it and let it go. They obviously need to test it and truplay it, pay license fees, etc.

I personally also thinking that wireless could be an issue. Can the room network support more than 4 speakers/devices? If not, wired may be how you have to go, which is probably acceptable if you're wiring ceiling speakers any way.

I'd like to see this happen, in various forms, but there's a lot involved that has to happen to get it all done.