Disney+ getting DTS:X

• 10 November 2021
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1

Given Sono’s stance on generally providing codecs to streaming services, its now become aparent that the Disney+ service will start to utilize DTS:X.

Refer to Article: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1636365375

Will Sonos add DTS:X Codecs to the platform, and in doing do, add the full DTS codec suite?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7

So far, Sonos has only announced support for DTS Digital Surround audio that’s coming with an update before the end of the year.

DTS:X is far behind Dolby Atmos in market share. DTS:X has only been available on a small number of titles on physical media and has been almost non-existent on streaming services. This has resulted in little to no demand for DTS:X support from consumers. But since Disney+ and MCU films are hugely popular, hopefully this announcement will help Sonos get closer to offering DTS:X support. But I believe it will take much more than one popular streaming service offering 13 films with DTS:X to fully convince Sonos. There would need to be more widespread adoption from other popular apps like Netflix, HBO Max, and Apple TV+.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

DTS:X is so much nicer than Atmos though. Miles clearer to pinpoint object based sound, it just works better. I know DTS is making a push at the moment as well and I can't see cinemas or blu ray disks dropping the format either. Be interesting to see if any other providers follow suit, only takes one for the sheep to then follow :p

Since Sonos just made the very deliberate decision to leave out DTS:X support in their most recent DTS announcement, I’d say this is highly unlikely.

And I could definitely be wrong here, but I don’t believe that Disney has promised DTS:X support, only DTS. I’d also like to point out that Bravia Core, the only other streaming service with an IMAX Enhanced partnership only streams DTS core (which is almost broken by the way on Sonos after the current mandatory conversion to Dolby Digital by the TV- one of the reasons I can’t wait for DTS support) and this is on an 80mbps stream.

It probably has to do with the general lack of DTS:X support at the device level when it comes to streaming apps or issues compressing it to make it suitable for streaming. If it’s the former, passthrough (like through a Shield) could be a different story.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thing is, DTS:X would be so much more beneficial to Sonos. The fact that it actually works really good with 5.1 systems and doesn't even require upfiring speakers for it to work, has always boggled me to why they haven't introduced it. It's also a very basic firmware update that would even work on old devices. But let's see, hopefully adding the bog standard DTS is the first step.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It’s all about the money… DTS wants some heavy licensing fees. I would not even bet on Sonos having DTS licensed. There are free DTS decoders that they may use to save licensing fees. That would explain why they will only support the DTS core in my opinion because I don’t really see why they would only support this if they license it. 

The licensing fees definitely play a big part, but it surely has to do with volume of DTS content as well.  In that regard, I’m not sure that Disney + adopting DTS-X means that Sonos is really going to be pushed to DTX-S.    According to the article posted, we are talking about 13 titles only and formatted in IMAX.  And all thirteen titles, you’ll see be able to watch the title in normal format with dolby.

This really reads as Disney trying to use IMAX as way to encourage subscriptions rather than a monumental shift audio codecs.  Sure, it could be the start of a shift, but way to early to tell at this point.  When other streaming services do this, and some titles are only in DTS-X, then Sonos will have some real pressure to respond.

please somebody explain this for me, there is a huge difference between Atmos TrueHD vs DTS:X ?

I mean, like there is between DTS and DD

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It all comes down to personal preference really. Only thing I like about DTS:X is the fact it's more object based and can distinguish it far better than Atmos, plus you can control every channel volume wise, which going on the amount of people having issues with voices in films would be good for Sonos. Hopefully they add that feature to adjust the center one like they did the heights. I don't personally have problems myself, but have seen numerous posts on various forums. 

As for your question, have a read of:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dts-vs-dolby-digital-whats-the-difference

Userlevel 7

Really funny.

I remember when this community was jammed with posts of why no Dolby Atmos on Sonos and no DTS. The former is now a reality and latter a TBA. 

Fast forward and now it’s DTS:X that’s the “why doesn’t Sonos offer it”. See the pattern? There will always be a “why not this codec support”.

As has been said no company is going to pay license fees and take up memory on their devices to support something that’s only offered by one source (DIsney).  Factor in 13 titles as opposed to the thousands of titles offered on multiple platforms that are coded for the current audio formats…well it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to solve the equation.  

Sonos is a public traded company.  IMO Sonos won’t move on DTX:S until the ROI pays dividends to it’s investors.

Just be patient…it’s all about supply and demand for DTX:S…both of which are extremely low at this point. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

From a streaming perspective yes, but I'm sure there are a fair few users who have Blu-ray players and use disks which the main audio format is still DTS on those. 

From a streaming perspective yes, but I'm sure there are a fair few users who have Blu-ray players and use disks which the main audio format is still DTS on those. 

Which is not relevant to the original question.  Will the emergence of 13 Disney + titles using DTS:X push Sonos to adopt the codec?  Highly unlikely.   To my knowledge, the prevalence of bluray disks with DTS:X isn’t really growing, so if it wasn’t enough before, that it’s not now.

To be clear, I’m not saying there is no chance DTS:X doesn’t get done on Sonos, just that it won’t be because of mounting pressure.  It will be because cheaper licensing, dev costs, etc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

DTS is used on every Blu-ray pretty much. Has the major market for pretty much 95% of disks with DTS:X incorporated on most the latest ones. Is it a dyeing market, I don't think it will be, but that isn't Sonos audience though they target the streaming market. 

I'm not too fussed as it gets converted to lpcm anyway and the Atmos on the Arc is absolutely rubbish compared to a proper Atmos setup, but then I didn't buy it for that either so I'm not overly fussed and if I'm honest would DTS:X sound that great on the Arc, probably not. 

Going on the Disney thing, I'd prefer to see more movies in Imax format and have no black bars and actually utilise TV's to their full size. 

Userlevel 7

Well …DTS is coming. Just not DTS:X 😂

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Well …DTS is coming. Just not DTS:X 😂

Hold my beer 😁

DTS is used on every Blu-ray pretty much. Has the major market for pretty much 95% of disks with DTS:X incorporated on most the latest ones. Is it a dyeing market, I don't think it will be, but that isn't Sonos audience though they target the streaming market.

DVDs/bluerays used to take up a good 30% of the floor space in my local electronics store, right in the front.  Now, it’s relegated to half an aisle in the rear corner.  Coffee makers get better shelf space.  But hey, maybe people are just buying all their disks online.

I'm not too fussed as it gets converted to lpcm anyway and the Atmos on the Arc is absolutely rubbish compared to a proper Atmos setup, but then I didn't buy it for that either so I'm not overly fussed and if I'm honest would DTS:X sound that great on the Arc, probably not. 

Going on the Disney thing, I'd prefer to see more movies in Imax format and have no black bars and actually utilise TV's to their full size. 

It will be interesting to see how things progress.

Userlevel 7

One last comment…

It’s been said (rumored) by Sonos (or someone) that DTS is coming by year end if not before. Well it’s November. So don’t work yourself into a tizzy if DTS doesn’t show up until next year.

Sometimes a product or feature launch gets pushed back for reasons that may never be known to the general public. If you were around when the voice assistants were first announced Google Home seemed like it would never see the light of day in Sonos even though it had been promised at or around “X” time frame(s) that never seemed to come?

However, Google Home is now a reality. The delay never bothered me as I’m in the Alexa camp. 😊

Userlevel 3
Badge

I understand the appeal that Sonos has to many buyers but one thing I personally do not like is how much it relies on your TV.  

does my tv have arc or earc?  is it able to pass through atmos with no earc?  what about DTS

and remember everyone, if your TV cannot send DTS through arc/earc you have to go though the expensive and may be complicated way of arcana, and of course LPCM 7.1 to 5.1 is not fixed yet.

many other sound bars in sonos’s price range already support DTS:X and more importantly they have HDMI passthrough capability so you don’t have to rely on your TV.   simply connect your DTS source to soundbar and problem is fixed.  I really wish sonos had done the same but of course it would have more cost for sonos………..

I understand the appeal that Sonos has to many buyers but one thing I personally do not like is how much it relies on your TV.  

does my tv have arc or earc?  is it able to pass through atmos with no earc?  what about DTS

and remember everyone, if your TV cannot send DTS through arc/earc you have to go though the expensive and may be complicated way of arcana, and of course LPCM 7.1 to 5.1 is not fixed yet.

many other sound bars in sonos’s price range already support DTS:X and more importantly they have HDMI passthrough capability so you don’t have to rely on your TV.   simply connect your DTS source to soundbar and problem is fixed.  I really wish sonos had done the same but of course it would have more cost for sonos………..

My personal opinion is that the best setup is one where your video isn’t dependent on your audio equipment, and your audio isn’t dependent on your video equipment.  I don’t want to be concerned about video specs when picking out audio equipment, nor concerned about audio specs when picking out a TV/projector.   An HDMI switch/Arcana/ similar device in the middle that connects to sources and the proper audio and video equipment, maximizing capabilities, sounds good to me.

Given Sono’s stance on generally providing codecs to streaming services, its now become aparent that the Disney+ service will start to utilize DTS:X.

Refer to Article: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1636365375

Will Sonos add DTS:X Codecs to the platform, and in doing do, add the full DTS codec suite?

Sounds like the type of guy that doesnt own a Sonos product until its "Perfect” :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

One last comment…

It’s been said (rumored) by Sonos (or someone) that DTS is coming by year end if not before. Well it’s November. So don’t work yourself into a tizzy if DTS doesn’t show up until next year.

Sometimes a product or feature launch gets pushed back for reasons that may never be known to the general public. If you were around when the voice assistants were first announced Google Home seemed like it would never see the light of day in Sonos even though it had been promised at or around “X” time frame(s) that never seemed to come?

However, Google Home is now a reality. The delay never bothered me as I’m in the Alexa camp. 😊

Looks like the update has gone live today. 

Badge +17

One last comment…

Looks like the update has gone live today. 

Indeed, S2 version 13.4 will enable DTS playback on any S2 Sonos home theatre device, and that released today :smile: