Answered

Delay between Sonos Beam and Era 100 Surrounds

• 2 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

I recently purchased a couple of Era 100s and set them up as surrounds with my Beam Gen2. I can’t shake the feeling that there is some delay between the Beam and the Era’s. This manifests in a slight echo, mostly noticable with 5.1 tracks that have a fair amount of ambient sound/music. Not sure if that maybe also due to my room acoustics. Also i had a couple of dropouts (Era 100s only) the other day.

Sadly there is no way to check/debug connection issues as far as i am aware of due to the Era line not using SonosNet anymore or at least the Sonos Matrix doesn't show anything in my case. Is there any other way to check for issues or do i need to contact Sonos Support? Not sure if i'm imaging things here but it would be good to at least rule out any technical issues.

My Beam is wired btw. and the two Eras are connected to a fairly good Wifi6 AP. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 September 2023, 12:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The Eras should connect directly to the Beam, with ‘WM: 3’. Check its ‘WiFi’ hasn’t been disabled.

Badge +1

The Eras should connect directly to the Beam, with ‘WM: 3’. Check its ‘WiFi’ hasn’t been disabled.

Thanks! I quickly checked and it says WM:3. So you are right they are connected directly to the Beam and not the AP.

In that case where is the ‘good Wifi6 AP’ located? If it’s too close to either the Beam or Era(s) it could pose a problem. Aim for at least 50cm/18” separation, ideally more. 

How large is your room? Are you using Trueplay?

Sound travel is pokey at at about one foot per millisecond. In large rooms with all speakers connected to the same amplifier, there could be a sense of “echo” depending on the listener location. The more distant speaker will seem late. If the room is ‘live’, the energy will bounce around a few times before being absorbed.

The dropouts sounded sinister though.

Badge +1

In that case where is the ‘good Wifi6 AP’ located? If it’s too close to either the Beam or Era(s) it could pose a problem. Aim for at least 50cm/18” separation, ideally more. 

The AP is located in another room so i guess it shouldn’t be too close to the Sonos devices. I never had any issues with other devices and i consistently get good speeds (over 800Mbps) and low latency over Wifi 🤷

Well it could be room acoustics giving a misleading impression then, but if you experience any further actual dropouts I’d suggest you submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes. Note the number and contact Sonos Support for interpretation. 

Badge +1

How large is your room? Are you using Trueplay?

Sound travel is pokey at at about one foot per millisecond. In large rooms with all speakers connected to the same amplifier, there could be a sense of “echo” depending on the listener location. The more distant speaker will seem late. If the room is ‘live’, the energy will bounce around a few times before being absorbed.

It’s actually pretty small at around 25 sqm (which equals to about 270 sqft). i’ve already trueplayed a couple of times. unfortunately i have a larger area of open space behind the setup and also uneven placement of the surround speakers which might create the echo idk

Trueplay attempts to equalize alignment between speakers, relative to the declared listening position. In my opinion it’s a crude adjustment, but if you are fussy and then listen at a different location, you may be able to sense a difference in alignment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Professio7 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Removing the surround speakers from the Beam and then bonding them together again may solve this issue of hearing a delay from the surround speakers.

In the Sonos app, go to Settings » System » [name of room] » Remove Surrounds. “Put” the surround speakers in some temporary “rooms” when the app asks.

Then, Settings » System » [name of room] » Set up Surrounds.

If this, or the advice above given by the community does not resolve the issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.