Answered

Creating 5.1 with non-Sonos Subwoofer

• 25 December 2013
  • 66 replies

Sub disabled when Setting up SONOS CONNECT:AMP as Surround Rears Why are you disabling the subwoofer out when configuring the Connect Amp to drive non-Sonos rear speakers with a Playbar? I have a my own sub that i want to connect to the Connect Amp so that it can be driven along with the rest of the system. I do not want to buy another Sonos sub. Surely this would just be a software or firmware update that is easily achievable.
icon

Best answer by Chris 14 March 2018, 03:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Is there already some more information about this issue?
What more information are you seeking?  The Connect:Amp is a 2 channel component with a crossover to the sub output.  To be able to process the subwoofer signal (the '.1' of a 5.1 system), the Connect:Amp would need to be a 3 channel component (2 surround and the '.1' sub channel).  Since you cannot magically transform a 2 channel component into a 3 channel, you cannot use a subwoofer connected to a Connect:Amp as a viable '.1' channel.
But the issue that you can't use the playbar, connect amp and a 3rd party sub still exist, isn't it? I'm planning on a Sonos system in my house, but al long as I cannot use my 3rd party sub when watching a movie, it worthless for me. 

So to answer the question what info i'm seeking: are there some development regarding to this issue? And if it isn't by adjusting the zone amp, maybe make some changes on the playbar of even make a separate module.

Sonos must develop new products to stay market leader. It's been a while since the last new products are introduced, so I'm wondering if someone had some more information
But the issue that you can't use the playbar, connect amp and a 3rd party sub still exist, isn't it? I'm planning on a Sonos system in my house, but al long as I cannot use my 3rd party sub when watching a movie, it worthless for me. 

So to answer the question what info i'm seeking: are there some development regarding to this issue? And if it isn't by adjusting the zone amp, maybe make some changes on the playbar of even make a separate module.

Sonos must develop new products to stay market leader. It's been a while since the last new products are introduced, so I'm wondering if someone had some more information

I would say that it is probably not the case that Sonos is working on this.  I highly doubt that the Connect:Amp would be completely retooled so that the very few people who use one for surrounds can also use their third party subwoofer.  Never mind that using the Amp for surrounds is a fringe case meant only for installers, there is also no financial incentive for Sonos to do it. 

Another thing which tells me Sonos is not going to do anything about this is the status of this thread has not been changed to 'Under Consideration'. 

For a player this expensive and highly focussed on usability/functions I expect to get the best. It's a shame they oblige you to buy their sub if you want a 5.1 setting...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Realize the Playbar came out long after the Connect:amp. The connect:amp was rigged to even be able to use it for the rear surrounds at the request of customers. Personally - several Sonia components like the connect:amp have been out a good amount of time. I would not be surprised in the not to distant future to see some of the older models like the connect, connect:amp, and play:5 to get v2 versions that in turn may have more and winced capability (like the connect:amp passing a 5.1 life channel). But as far as 5.1 goes it has always been the requirement to use the sonosnsub for the 5.1 and there is no device currently in the sonos lineup that can be configured by them to do likewise. the only thing i would think they could possible do would be to pass the .1 to a connect. But the connect would have to be hard wired to network and then you are dedicating a connect to the sub channel.

> the only thing i would think they could possibly do... that would be ok by me. 🙂 i just want to use the fancy 3rd party sub that i spent a lot of money on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I would create a thread asking sonos to allow a connect (not connect:amp unless I guess theoretically if your sub had speaker level inputs a connect:amp could do same ) to play the .1 in a souround system. I don't think it will get a lot of traction with sonos with current equipment limitations but I would think it would be possible to do with the current equipment
Well, sure glad that I came across this thread! I was about to go down the Sonus route but a company that is either som mean spirited or doesn't have the ability to allow me to use my own sub with the Playbar!? And they heard of HDMI? Time that Sonus invested in a new tech wizard to make us spend our loot their way! Too late for me! Cheers Rod
Userlevel 1
Damn guys, I can't tell you how excited I was getting about this configuration..... I found out that Sonus integrates with Kodi and when I saw that subwoofer output on the back of the ConnectAMP I figured I had the perfect system to seamlessly access my full media library AND reuse my existing high end speakers and subwoofer.

And then I found your chat here. Well, at least I found out pre-purchase.

I'll give customer support a call just to see what they have to say, but looks like I'm back to the drawing board. The idea of sitting a ConnectAMP on top of a Playbar (Sonus' official position on the correct solution AFAIK) in order to use a fraction of its capabilities seems expensive and klunky.
I would also like the ability to use a 3rd party subwoofer attached to the "subwoofer out" port of a Sonos Connect:AMP in a 5.1 setup. This would be a huge customer-value add, and I (and a few friends) would get a Connect:AMP immediately.
Add my vote to drive a third party sub. I'd even buy a connect:amp to drive the .1 channel and nothing else.
Count me in to want third party sub support. C'mon, Sonos.
Add me as well. We have a Playbar and Connect Amp in our Great Room and Connect Amp and Subwoofer in our kitchen which is basically the same room. I'd rather attach the sub to the Great Room Connect Amp rather than the Kitchen and Great room Grouped.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's not possible. A 5.1 system has a discrete .1 channel.

The Connect:Amp is only able to receive a stereo signal (R/L). In this case the R/L is the right and left surround sound. There is no dedicated chanel to send to the Subwoofer.

The original design of the Connect:Amp was not to be used in the manner of surrounds. Its original hardware takes a stereo signal. Filters it through a crossover - sending higher frequencies to left/right channel speakers and the lower range to the subwoofer output. So the subwoofer output sits between the stereo input and the speaker output (just as a normal sub would). There is no direct channel to the subwoofer just a processing of the stereo signal.

Therefore, there is no reason to have the subwoofer active. There is no reason to filter out the low end output from the surround sound mix (as the surround sound mix doesn't have the LFE channel or really any low end to speak of).

It is an internal hardware issue that makes it impossible for the Connect:Amp to pass a discrete LFE channel in the form of the .1 signal from a surround sound setup. It just physically is not built to do that - so no asking for it will solve the issue.

A new Connect:Amp model designed to pass a discrete signal would be required.

Hope this makes sense as Sonos has no way to add this ability to the current model.
hi Chris! I think I understand this answer you gave on COnnect:amp. If I proceed with a connect (non amp) and connect that either direct to my powered sub, or to a receiver that is connected to my sub, would that sort the channels correctly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No. You have no way to get the .1 signal to a connect.