Answered

Creating 5.1 with non-Sonos Subwoofer

• 25 December 2013
  • 66 replies

Sub disabled when Setting up SONOS CONNECT:AMP as Surround Rears Why are you disabling the subwoofer out when configuring the Connect Amp to drive non-Sonos rear speakers with a Playbar? I have a my own sub that i want to connect to the Connect Amp so that it can be driven along with the rest of the system. I do not want to buy another Sonos sub. Surely this would just be a software or firmware update that is easily achievable.
icon

Best answer by Chris 14 March 2018, 03:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 2
totally agreed - I'm in the same boat as Lars - this is preventing me from buying a playbar
Is it not possible to just use a single CONNECT?
Group this with the playbar and connect left RCA to the subwoofer?
Or is it not possible to group a CONNECT together with the Playbar?

If not possible, this should not be a problem solving in software.
Then you could even send the correct subwoofer signal from the 5.1 signal.
Any low pass filter would be adjusted in the 3. party active subwoofer
Sonos,  I just recently purchased the Playbar and like it a lot.  But I would like for you to give us a solution to allow the integration of a 3rd party SUB.  I already have a 12" Klipsch powered subwoofer that I would love to add on to the playbar.  Many of us already have a subwoofer that is either on par or better that the Sonos sub and do not want to folk out an additional $700 for a new one.  Do your fan base a favor and get us a solution for this problem.

Thanks  Scott
Userlevel 2
Hello Sonos? Any input on this discussion?
why not allow a dedicated connect to provide sub signal for a powered sub
Userlevel 2
Badge
Interesting idea.  Cheaper than buying a Sub.  However, looks like the Connect doesn't have a sub channel out--not a showstopper of course, but yet another reason why Sonos should step up and offer us a solution.
Userlevel 2
Badge
why not allow a dedicated connect to provide sub signal for a powered sub

why not just firmware upgrade the connect amp like the op suggested that way you only need to buy 1 sonos device to control your rear speakers and subwoofer.
Userlevel 2
Cuz they want you to buy their sub and their surrounds. Sonos is a closed system and I'd bet that they truly hate the idea of supporting the AMP as a workaround for surround sound. Even the way they've implemented the idea is weak. With hardly any effort at all they could have added a couple other features easily without even enabling the sub out. While I love the SONOS gear I've been rather disappointed overall that I've not achieved what I hoped. I'd sell it all and go wired but there's no after market that makes the loss of $$$ acceptable to me. SONOS has more or less ignored us on this sub out idea for over 2 yrs now. I don't imagine we'll ever see resolution on this piece. They are amazingly responsive to all kinds of other issue but this one. That says something.

SONOS does not owe us an option to use a cheaper sub. It's really poor business for them to do as it creates a host of new support issues with people buying crap subs and complaining about bad sound and so on. It also cannibalizes their own product line. For all of you that actually think it's good business for them to do this you're simply mistaken. It would be nice of them for sure and I would have really appreciated a big red warning label about the how the AMP really works rather than having to find it in the manual after my return period expired but proper support for 3rd party hardware of any sort is problematic for them.

That all said...would be nice if they did address us and tell us that they're not going to do this rather than leave us all hanging on hoping.

SONOS: I'd be totally cool if you proved me wrong 😉
I'm was interested to use Sonos ... until I read this thread.  I already have my own speakers + woofer so if this feature request was granted I would have bought the connect amp + playbar to get 5.1 surround.  Being able to expand to other rooms after that would have been nice.

Still: at least the competition is catching up fast.
Has anyone tried this:  Use an optical audio splitter (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/27027) so one output could go to the Playbar and one output could then connect to an optical audio to analog RCA device (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/28727) in order to connect your existing third party subwoofer?  You can get both of these devices for about $45.  A lot cheaper than buying a new subwoofer.
Has anyone tried this:  Use an optical audio splitter (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/27027) so one output could go to the Playbar and one output could then connect to an optical audio to analog RCA device (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/28727) in order to connect your existing third party subwoofer?  You can get both of these devices for about $45.  A lot cheaper than buying a new subwoofer.
With this arrangement there would be no integrated volume control. One would need to separately adjust the subwoofer and PLAYBAR.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a similar setup using an external RCA switch box to select input to the subwoofer.  It works.  However, as Buzz says, I need to adjust the volume on the subwoofer manually when I switch between TV and music.  It's not convenient.
quick question....Does anyone have input on the Sound quality of the Playbar and the Sonos Sub?  how do they match up against mid to high end sound bars ?  I have 8 zones currently none of them have Sonos speakers...(not quite sold on Sonos as a bonified speaker company) all speakers are Polk audio in walls with 1 outdoor pair. (no complaints with the Polk speakers).. I was thinking about getting the Play bar to use with a Polk Audio 10 inch LSI sub  until i came across this forum. If we can't use a thrid party Sub then buy another comparable sound bar whatever sub you want and pick up a Sonos Connect to integrate the setup into your sonos mesh. Everything i've seen on the playbar and sub says fantastic wireless functionality but not too much on sound quality . Even read something about the volume being somewhat restricted.. your thoughts? 
I'm so glad I read this thread!  I was about to spend A LOT of money buying into the Sonos Eco-system for my home, and use the AMP to connect my very capable Onkyo rear speakers and sub.  Now that I know Sonos prevents people from doing this, I'm going to skip the system entirely and go another way.  I wonder how many people out there didn't know this before buying (and are angry) or like me, aren't investing in it?

Frankly, I would still consider the Sonos system but $700 just for a sub is ridiculous (on top of $700 for a playbar).
I'm so glad I read this thread!  I was about to spend A LOT of money buying into the Sonos Eco-system for my home, and use the AMP to connect my very capable Onkyo rear speakers and sub.  Now that I know Sonos prevents people from doing this, I'm going to skip the system entirely and go another way.  I wonder how many people out there didn't know this before buying (and are angry) or like me, aren't investing in it?

Frankly, I would still consider the Sonos system but $700 just for a sub is ridiculous (on top of $700 for a playbar).

Well then, you should definitely go buy the competing wireless surround sound system that allows use of an aftermarket sub and is fully integrated into a multi-room synchronized audio system controlled by your phone/tablet. Be sure to post here when you find it.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I did exactly that, I got rid of my connect amp, play bar and a couple connect's and since I build AV automation systems for a living decided to integrate a creation adagio AMS, so I have 7.1 with all my own gear and then have 4 extra zones and plan to expand to another 8 in the future. I have both AMX Mio remotes as well as my iPad and iPad integrated into the system. There's options, but I definitely originally wanted to keep it simple going the only sonos route. I still have 3 sonos connect's, in addition to 4 am/fm/xm radio feeds on the crestron. If anyone is interested in going a custom route, I program AMX and crestron as well as custom embedded and realtime Linux, so we can make anything work. rrdbstudios@gmail.com
Userlevel 1
Badge

To continue my comment, I did my research prior to buying into sonos, and at the time they were listening to owners and implementing many features, and although I don't know their complete underlying frame work, from my experience working with similar technologies in the professional world, they should be able to write software to accommodate the difference in use of the LFE output; if they are using a hardware based crossover coming out of the dsp chip, then I stand corrected. However they could just be open and tell users it cannot be implemented as opposed to ignoring talks about it leaving it potentially open ended to try to keep interest from those who may be on the fence over purchasing these devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

its not open ended. No indication has been given that they are able to add LFE although amp for 5.1.

What is open ended? Sonos has flat out stated it is not possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Unpopular facts
Userlevel 1
Badge

I honestly could careless what's open ended and I have not seen a single official message saying they are unable to do this, except for that it is currently not a feature nor is it a planned feature. To me, that does not tell me it cannot be done, so please do not insist a detail that you are not privet to. Anyways I am here just to support the current facts which are it IS Not a current or publically planned feature and so I offered up an answer to the question, which was show another system that is capable of control via phone or tablet and have multi room/zone and surround audio features, well I believe I did that and offered help to other wanting this more integrated route. Kind regards, Paul
Userlevel 1
Badge

And FYI by not stating it will not be a function (ever, not just currently) that does leave it open ended. ...again no where official states it cannot happen, just merely it is not currently supported.
My TV allows the analog audio out to be configured for headphones, audio system, or subwoofer. I am using the optical out into my playbar and the analog out into my Velodyne sub. I also use play 1's for surround. The "5" speakers are controlled by Sonos Volume. The ".1" is controlled by the volume control of the TV. So I use two methods of volume control to balance the system. A little annoying but it does work very well. My TV is a Sony 50" kdl700wb. Perhaps other people posting can benefit from this little trick. Tv audio settings disable internal speakers but allow pass thru of optical (fixed) and analog (variable). Hope this helps some of you!
Is there already some more information about this issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only a sonosnsub can be used for 5.1 in surround system. The connect:amp was never designed to pass a discrete channel to the sub output.