Controlling volume of Playbar without TV

• 26 April 2018
  • 8 replies

Hello everyone, newbie here so be kind please.

I want to buy a Playbar to extend my current Sonos setup but have a question about adjusting the volume on the Playbar without using the TV remote. The reason being is that I would only ever use the Playbar for movie sound when using my projector not a TV.

I am planning on connecting my Amazon Fire TV directly to the Playbar via its optical output. The older version of the Fire TV that I have has a separate optical output as well as the HDMI output. The HDMI goes into a switch to distribute to either my standard TV or to the projector.

Can I program a standard IR universal remote to just control the Playbar volume?

Also, I plan on setting up a surround sound group by linking 2 x Play:3s to the Playbar; when setup like this I am presuming an IR universal remote would control the whole group?

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Many, many thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
You should be able to control the Playbar using either the TV remote or by using the Sonos app on a mobile device.

For the surround setting you simply set up the Playbar with the Play:3s in surround mode. Your TV remote or mobile device will control volume of all the Sonos speakers as a group.
Many thanks for the answer Mountkeen.

So, can I use my existing TV remote (which is IR) and get that programmed to the Playbar so that it can used as a volume control even when the TV is turned off?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Many thanks for the answer Mountkeen.

So, can I use my existing TV remote (which is IR) and get that programmed to the Playbar so that it can used as a volume control even when the TV is turned off?

In theory yes. Although i recently purchased a MU8000 (4k samsung 2017 model) and the remote does not work for the sonos playbar. I do however also have an apple tv 4k, and the siri remote does in fact control volume for the playbar. So it may be hit or miss with the tv remote. I thought the only criteria was IR blaster, but it may be more than that.
Hi ayCHILLL,

Thanks for the info. I have an older Apple TV which has a separate optical output as well as HDMI with the smaller IR remote (non SIRI) so maybe that would work with the Playbar? I could then use the Apple TV instead of the Fire TV as I only use it for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (both of which are available as apps on the Apple).

I think, overall, I just wanted to check that I could use a remote for Playbar volume and it wouldn't matter that the TV wasn't turned on (as I'll be using Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV with a projector).

Many thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi ayCHILLL,

Thanks for the info. I have an older Apple TV which has a separate optical output as well as HDMI with the smaller IR remote (non SIRI) so maybe that would work with the Playbar? I could then use the Apple TV instead of the Fire TV as I only use it for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (both of which are available as apps on the Apple).

I think, overall, I just wanted to check that I could use a remote for Playbar volume and it wouldn't matter that the TV wasn't turned on (as I'll be using Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV with a projector).

Many thanks!

What brand/model of projector do you intend to use?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In theory yes. Although i recently purchased a MU8000 (4k samsung 2017 model) and the remote does not work for the sonos playbar. I do however also have an apple tv 4k, and the siri remote does in fact control volume for the playbar. So it may be hit or miss with the tv remote. I thought the only criteria was IR blaster, but it may be more than that.

ayCHILLL - I have the same Samsung TV (although its called the MU7000 in Europe). Here, the TV comes with two remotes - a "traditional" multi-button remote and the newer smart-remote. I use the former and it works perfectly well with the TV and my Playbase. I believe the smart-remote has to be set up rather differently. Some guidance is contained here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4198
Hi AjTrek1,

I already own an Optoma HD142X. This is connected to an HDMI switch so that I can switch between video being displayed either on the TV or the projector. I currently have a Sony surround sound system, the Amazon Fire TV is connected to that by Optical and my Blu-Ray player is also connected to the Sony with coaxial digital audio.

When I get a Playbar I intend to get a digital optical switch for use with the Fire TV (or the Apple TV) and a Blu-Ray player (which I will need to upgrade to one that has digital optical output not coaxial).

Crickey, starts to get complicated (for me anyway!).

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi Bodenross

Here's a setup you might consider and the link to the suggested HDMI/Optical box shown. FYI, I use the box with my Samsung TV to connect Cable, xBox, PS4 and Apple TV (although I don't use the optical input/output) sans a projector :8

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html#HD41ARCcloseview