Controlling Beam via Directv remote and not send signal to TV

• 19 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Setup: Older Sony TV w/o ARC, so I am using the HDMI-to-optical dongle provided in the beam package. To be clear: The TV speakers are “off” via its menu, so it is sending sound via an optical cable to the dongle provided in the Beam package. The sound is fine.

Here’s the issue: the Directv controller remains paired with the TV. Although the volume doesn’t change on the tv (because the tv is sending it to the Beam) the TV still shows a volume bar (which is not correkated to the volume at all). The remote is sending IR signal to both the TV and the Beam.

Question: can I unpair a Directv remote from the TV volume, so when I click Vol+/- the IR only is recognized by the Beam? I’d rather not see a volume bar on the TV (nothing in the menu to turn it off)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hopefully you have figured this out but yes you can control the two separately. You have to go to the Direct TV Remote programming and make the Sonos your audio. Menu, Settings, Remote Control, Pair/Program Remote, then select the audio device. Program the Remote to Sonos and you should be good to go because now the audio portion (volume up/down and mute) will automatically default to your Sonos. However, I have had issues with the IR not working on the SONOS when the TV is on. Mine is a Plasma TV and it apparently blocks the IR from working??? I don’t know I am still researching. It works fine when the TV isn’t on but as soon as I turn it on it stops. Really stinks!