Answered

Continued Support for Playbar and Sub (Gen 2)

I just bought a playbar and sub (gen 2). Now that the Arc and next gen sub are coming out, how long will Sonos continue to support the playbar and gen 2 sub?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 7 May 2020, 18:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

At least 5 years after they are discontinued.  However, historically Sonos tends to support much longer. The first devices they made are 15 years old, have only now been set as legacy, and will still continue to work and receive security updates and bug fixes in the future.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just bought a playbar and sub (gen 2). Now that the Arc and next gen sub are coming out, how long will Sonos continue to support the playbar and gen 2 sub?

If you are within your return period I would return them and buy the new Arc and Gen 3 sub. Why settle for what is a very old model Playbar if you don’t have to? 

Sonos has a very good track record for supporting products, some of the original devices were updated for 15 years. But what doesn’t get mentioned often is that there are many owners who bought devices up until Dec 31 2014 and into 2015 who now own legacy devices. 

You might get stuck with only 5 years before legacy or maybe you get more. IMO avoiding this would be worth the hassle but YMMV. 

Thank you for your input! It’s been very helpful.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I would go for the return. I am one of those who bought a connect at the very end of 2014, so will get maybe 5½ years before legacy.

That’s only if it lasts the absolute minimum of time. The first change took 15 years before they had to move devices over to “legacy”. I’m betting that the next round won’t be in 5 years, but some amount of time longer. It would be based on the size of the software living in the speaker, and the amount of memory in the speaker, of course. But the whole 5 year thing is just a minimum best guess by Sonos, who still can’t read the future, just like the rest of us.