Question

Connect:AMP - can it go to idle mode when line in connected?

• 26 November 2016
  • 6 replies

I saw the following on this site. Does this mean my AMP will never go into idle if I have my TV connected to its line in?

"Idle is defined as audio muted or paused on all players in the household for at least 3 minutes, no cables are connected to Line-In jacks, and no optical signal is being actively fed to a PLAYBAR (in most cases, this means that the TV is off)."

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don't think so, assuming there's no signal being sent by the TV.
If the player isn't streaming the Line-In it will enter idle a few minutes after play stops. It doesn't matter that there's a plug physically connected.

One suspects that Sonos was covering themselves in case Line-In Autoplay was enabled. A small signal on the analog input could be sufficient to trigger Autoplay and prevent the player idling if Autoplay was to the same player.
That makes sense.

I was hoping that with AutoPlay enabled, the Sonos would go into a reduced power mode after 3 minutes. If the act of having the cables physically connected prevented that, it would make the Sonos AMP inappropriate as a TV audio output. Which would be unfortunate, because in my room it sounds really good.

Is there any way to test or observe when the device goes into low power mode without having a wattage meter?
I was hoping that with AutoPlay enabled, the Sonos would go into a reduced power mode after 3 minutes.
It will, so long as the Line-In signal is below the detection threshold.

Is there any way to test or observe when the device goes into low power mode without having a wattage meter?

Look in a controller. The Line-In stream should be stopped. Also the speakers will go silent, without any hiss.

If you want absolute confirmation, point a browser to http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/proc/driver/audioctl (http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/proc/driver/audio/audioctl on some models) where x.x.x.x is the IP address from About My Sonos System, and look for 'Amp power off'.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I was hoping that with AutoPlay enabled, the Sonos would go into a reduced power mode after 3 minutes. If the act of having the cables physically connected prevented that, it would make the Sonos AMP inappropriate as a TV audio output.
I can confirm that my CONNECT:AMP goes to sleep when the Echo Dot plugged into it is not actively playing anything and I have the CONNECT:AMP set to autoplay the line in. (I confirmed mine with a wattage meter.)

So long as your TV is silent when off, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.
I immensely appreciate this. I'll check that URL. Thank you all.