Answered

Chromecast taking audio away from the beam

• 1 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello

My tv: Samsung QE55Q9F 2018 with the One Connect Box

When only the beam (HDMI ARC) is connected to my tv I have no problem, but when I also connected Chromecast I started having issues. The tv is then always losing the connection with the Beam. Sometimes the signal returns to the beam, but after a while it will switch back to the tv speakers. I read somewhere that the beam has difficulties communicating with other HDMI-CEC devices or is it Samsung who is at fault here?

Edit: Now its losing the connection even without Chromecast connected...I don’t get it.

Kind Regards,

Matteo

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 April 2020, 18:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

While it is hard to be certain, the fault is liable to be the implementation of HDMI-CEC by Samsung, since the TV set is the hub/controller of all CEC devices. There are several suggestions that might help.

First, make sure the TV is updated with the latest software from Samsung. Over the last several years, they’ve had updates which appear to have helped some, although that may depend on what hardware your particular TV has.

Second, make sure to turn odd HDMI-CEC on all devices connected to the TV except the Sonos. There are other companies who appear to have poorly implemented the HDMI-CEC spec, and some of these devices seem to interfere with the Sonos connection. 

Third, try changing the connection that you’re using for the Sonos from a HDMI-ARC to optical, using the adapter that came with the Beam. Optical, being a one way signal, won’t have these ‘handshake’ failures that can be experienced by HDMI-ARC. Of course, you’ll need to make sure that all devices, the TV and anything connected to the TV as a source, is locked down to Dolby Digital, since that requirement is no longer carried through the HDMI-CEC connection.

Finally, many people have experienced issues with the electronic signal path through the TV adding a delay, causing lipsync issues. Many have found by stripping the audio signal from the stream before it reaches the TV resolves this issue. They do so by implementing an HDMI switch that has an optical output that feeds the audio signal to the Sonos. There are many types of these devices available, but I don’t use one, so I don’t have a recommendation. Search Amazon for ‘HDMI switch optical’ for one that meets your specific needs.

sonos and the tv both have the latest firmware installed so that can’t be it. I tried using the optical adapter but i’m always getting the message “optical adapter not found” on the sonos app. I have an HDMI-CEC killer on my Chromecast to block the CEC functionality but then my Chromecast is not recognized at all. At this point i’m pretty sure that that the fault lies with Samsung. I mean...it’s not recognizing my optical adapter and my HDMI killer. I’m guessing its the One Connect Box that can’t deal with those adapters? I ordered a new high speed HDMI cable to replace the original one so we’ll see how that goes.

Kind Regards,

Matteo

It’s entirely possible the fault is in the CEC hub (the Samsung TV). To the best of my knowledge, there have been several updates issued by Samsung over the last several years to address this, but I think the CEC hardware isn’t the same across all their TVs, so it’s possible they haven’t gotten to your model yet. 

Have you tried calling Samsung? Sonos, in terms of HDMI-CEC, is just a pretty simple device, reporting that it is a speaker, and uses Dolby Digital. There’s not a whole lot of ‘control’ on the part of Sonos.