Chromecast DOES not provide dolby digital AC3 with netflix and prime, only stereo for Sonos Beam

• 3 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I tried everything, ARC from TV, optical from TV, to using HDMI to optical extractors, Google Chromecast DOES NOT provide Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 sound when using Netflix or Prime. Only Dolby Digital Plus that is not supported by Beam.

I tried Fire TV stick, and it does work well.

I have an old but really good “dumb” TV, and I’m not buying a new one anytime soon.

2 conclusions:

• Beam has a poor codec support, and inability to have HDMI passthrough with DD+ is annoying as hell. eARC is not widespread enough yet. Sonos, please give us HDMI passthrough on HT devices… Don’t make us buy $200 Arcana eARC extractor for the Sonos Arc.
  • Google doesn’t give a [bleeep!] about Dolby Digital (ac3) support. Support forum “volunteers” doesn’t care and give you non-answers. No real support is available. It would be nice if Sonos could talk to Google on implementing transcoding from DD+ to DD. We the normal people can’t get any replies… I’ve pinged Sonos on Twitter about this, no reply.

Sonos, can you please talk with Google about DD+ to DD?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Herr_Vlad 

Thanks for your post!

According to https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media (Audio Passthrough section), Chromecast will not decode AC3 (Dolby Digital) but it will send it to a TV with audio passthrough enabled. This should allow you to receive surround sound from your Beam using the Chromecast. Your TV’s digital audio output format should be set to Auto.

The page here describes how to turn surround sound on:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7575098?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6373879

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On this forum I read a lot about people not succeeding to get surround from their Chromecasts through their TV and Sonos soundbar. I myself gave up on this on my old TV (on my new TV I do not need Chromecast because it is Airplay enabled).

I would be great to hear if this solution works!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @106rallye 

As I see it, that’s very strange. AC3/Dolby Digital is ubiquitous with home theatre - the de-facto standard for surround sound. Every BluRay disc will contain at least one AC3 track to fall back to if the player/TV/audio system doesn’t support Atmos, DTS, EAC3 or whatever.

I’m not sure a device is even allowed to call itself High Definition if it doesn’t support AC3.

Personally, I had a Chromecast for all of 2 days before returning it - I wasn’t impressed by it in the slightest. My nVidia Shield runs Chromecast as a screensaver, though I’ve never used the feature as the Shield does so much more anyway. Admittedly, there is a significant price difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Corry P As I understand it the problem is Chromecast only does DD+, and does not cater for DD. That’s why it (or the TV) reverts to stereo on the Beam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @106rallye 

I can only go by the page I linked to above, and it says Chromecast will passthrough AC3. If it doesn’t do this, I can only recommend contacting Google.

I honestly can’t think why any company would produce a Home Theatre product that doesn’t support AC3 in some way.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

It does pass AC3 if AC3 is the source format. HOWEVER, if source is E-AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), Cromecast falls back to Stereo PCM. This is the case with Netflix and Prime.

In contrast to this, Fire TV and Apple TV 4K will downgrade to AC3, still maintaining 5.1 surround sound.

I tried contacting google, but the only recourse is a community support forum, and there they just copy-paste useless page link from their KB that do not solve the problem.

Hence, please, can you as Sonos, talk with Google and ask them for dd+ to dd conversion on the Chromecast? You already have a relationship with them, and your devs talk to their devs for the assistant…

Herr_Vlad

It may or may not be germane to be aware that there’s an open lawsuit between Sonos and Google at this moment, so it is entirely possible that Google is unwilling to do much to facilitate Sonos users. See, for instance, their substandard implementation of YouTube music, which is substantially less effective that the original Google Music implementation was. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks for clearing that technicality up, @Herr_Vlad!