Question

Can I use Sonos as a keyboard amplifier, for home use?

• 27 July 2014
  • 8 replies

I have a Yamaha Digital Stage Piano and just sold my PA speakers. I want to know if I can run a line-out from the keyboard into either the Play 5 or a PlayBar line-in to use it as an amp for the home (nothing ridiculously loud). I have had latency issues with past systems (tried doing the same thing through a Bose Solo and there was a small lag between key-strikes and sound coming out of the speaker). Is this possible, or will I experience delays?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Will,

We recommend using the PLAYBAR, it was designed with an optical port to ensure the fastest and highest quality audio processing possible. 

Take a look at this link- it will discuss the PLAYBAR further. Please let us know if you have any other questions and we'll be happy to expand further. 
Just found this Q&A as I was wondering the same thing. Trouble with the answer is that my keyboard doesn't have an optical output, just the 'normal' jack outputs for an amplifier. So, is there anything I could plug the keyboard into that could then connect with my Playbar and Play:1s? Would the Connect solve this problem? (appreciate that I'd have to use jack to phono cables.
Do you have standard instrument cable outputs? If so, you'll be going from 1/4" instrument down to the 3.5 mm into the Play:5, which would be fantastic for your piano. I haven't tried it yet, but I might... would beat running through my powered head to my Peavey on a stick. If it doesn't work for you, you always have the option to return it. Please report back if you try it.
Sonos is not really suited for such applications. There's an undefeatable delay through the system. Using a PLAYBAR it's low-ish at 30ms, but for everything else it's an obvious 70ms.
If you only have analogue outputs from the keyboard and if you wanted to use the Playbar then you would need an analogue to digital converter. The one at the link below would convert RCA stereo to digital optical, but I don't know if that would suit your purposes. I offer no guarantees!

But as @ratty says anyway, the lag may be distracting. I'm not sure if the converter would add noticeably to that lag.

http://www.vickershifi.com/Products/CYPAUD4
Thanks for the advice.

Yes it has analogue output through L & R 1/4" jacks and I wondered if a digital converter was the way to go. In an odd way the delay might not be a problem. The keyboard is a classically voiced organ (Viscount Cantorum VI) and when playing a real pipe organ you get used to a certain amount of delay so it might end up more realistic.

So, thanks again!
The keyboard is a classically voiced organ (Viscount Cantorum VI) and when playing a real pipe organ you get used to a certain amount of delay so it might end up more realistic.
Now that's what I call serendipity.
Now that's what I call serendipity.

But, of course, I'll say it was intentional.