Buzzing sound Beam

After updating to S2, my Beam started making a buzzing sound when playing from the tv.

If I disconnect the cable from the tv hdmi ARC port , the sound keeps buzzing and only Stops. when I disconnect the cable from the beam  
the buzzing only comes from the beam and not from the surrounds  

im using the included original cable 

when playing music from Spotify it plays normally. 

any idea what might be causing this?

thanks,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

yes I experienced the same issue this evening I have had it a year and this issue arose after updating to sonos 2!!

I am having the same issue.  I am hoping that there was something in the update they can fix and correct this.

I'm in the same boat. I had this strange buzzing noise coming from watching TV/YouTube. When I switched to Spotify it also disappeared. I was assuming there was some sort of issue with the videos I was watching. I've rebooted the beam, and this seems to have done the trick for now. I have also recently updated to the new Sonos app. Hoping it's just a small bug. 

Hi,

after some prompt help from the Sonos support team the issue was eliminated by completely resetting  the Beam. 

first I had to remove the surrounds , then completely reset the beam (had to follow this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en) - removed it from the system and added it again (same procedure as adding a new device)

did not take a long time and the issue was resolved. 

hope it helps anyone experiencing the same issues. 

Same issue after updating to S2. Brought up the issue to customer care.

Had to do a factory reset twice, did a factory reset first time and was working until i installed the update again and it started. So did a reset 2nd time with no update.

Its not expected of Sonos atleast to release the software for the trending music bar in market, without appropriate testing, which gets most of the customers do all these stuff...just a waste of time….

Waiting for the update to fix it. Please keep us informed when its good to upgrade 

Yes I had the same issue. Thanks for the advice. I factory reset it and it has gone away. 

done the factory reset...buzzing comes back after a day or so....very frustrating....lack of response from sonos emailed them no response nearly two weeks!!!😡😡😡

done the factory reset...buzzing comes back after a day or so....very frustrating....lack of response from sonos emailed them no response nearly two weeks!!!😡😡😡

Just some things you can perhaps consider, until you can get around to calling Sonos Customer Care...

I would maybe try a different HDMI lead, if you have not considered that already. Also check if any other TV connected peripherals have HDMI-CEC enabled and try switching it off on the other devices to see if that might make a difference.

Also, I see from your post, that you did a factory reset, if your Beam is bonded with surrounds did you reset the surrounds too?

Same thing for me....it worked for a day or two and issue started again. 

I have the same issue - I’ll try and do the factory reset to see if it works.

A couple of things I did not see mentioned here:

1. The buzzing sounds only when there’s sound coming from the TV
  2. My TV has 2 output options: “PCM” and “Auto” (i.e. what the source format is). I normally have it set to Auto since PCM means stereo sound, and I get the buzzing - even if the source is PCM!
  3. If I set my TV to output PCM and not the source format, it stops buzzing completely, but as soon as I return to Auto, it starts buzzing again.
  4. After power cycling the Beam, it seemed to have worked for a while.

vladk2k,

Assuming you and others have tried the things mentioned earlier in this thread, I would perhaps submit a system diagnostic the next time you encounter the issue and post the reference here in the thread.

Then speak with sonos customer care over the phone, as there are things they can maybe test to see if it’s a sonos hardware/software issue, or if it maybe an external factor, like the TV itself (just as an example).

Hope you get the matter sorted soon.

not a software issue..don't be fobbed off...I have took mine back to the store and had it replaced...think update is killing the speaker....it is not  a TV issue!!!!

Adrian Haynes 1984,

I have two Beams here, running on the S2 software and each are working ok. One is connected to a Samsung TV (bedroom) via optical and the other is connected to an LG TV (Dining Room) via HDMI-ARC. Both are working fine with no sign of buzzing etc. 

So it’s perhaps not the update either, but it could be a combination of things (perhaps🤔?) and by asking users affected to submit a system diagnostic when the issue is occurring ..and to contact sonos customer care, is certainly not fobbing people off.  It’s trying to assist those affected, to hopefully get to the root cause of their matter.

pipe down Ken just stating the facts...do you work for sonos? sonos customer care is next to useless...tried rebooting re Installing...I'm not the only one experiencing problems..which by the way only started after the aforementioned update!!!! 

pipe down Ken just stating the facts...do you work for sonos? sonos customer care is next to useless...tried rebooting re Installing...I'm not the only one experiencing problems..which by the way only started after the aforementioned update!!!! 

No Adrian, my Wife (Jane) and I are both retired and we live in the U.K... neither of us are employed, nor have ever been employed by Sonos, nor worked for any similar company for that matter.

I’m sorry to hear you could not sort your Beam. I can assure you that our two devices are working okay here at our home.

I think The Beam is one of Sonos’ biggest selling products and I suspect if the ‘buzzing’ problem was widespread, there would be many hundreds, if not many thousands, of folk complaining worldwide about it, rather than the few isolated issues that we see mentioned.

Anyhow, with all the different makes/models of TV, there is always a chance with any hardware/software changes that some issues may arise. Usually however, if enough information can be gathered (via diagnostics etc); then often the issues can usually be resolved with a firmware update. The sonos engineers/developers, in my experience of being on these boards for a number of years, are very good at fixing such matters whenever they (infrequently) occur. That’s if it is indeed the case here?

I personally have had a completely different experience with Sonos customer care. I have always found their service excellent, but I appreciate that many companies currently have support staff working from home at the moment due to covid-19, so that maybe causing some small delays to response times, but I still believe it’s worth taking the support-route I suggested, as that may help to quickly get this matter resolved. I just see that as being far better than returning what certainly is a great TV Home Theatre sound-bar for small and medium sized rooms.

Of course it’s upto the user what they wish to do, I’m just making a suggestion to try to assist those few here with the issue.

Ah, of course now that I have a lead (gathering support information etc.) I can’t get it to buzz anymore :-)

Yesterday I’ve watched something via Smart share without problems, then some IPTV. I don’t know if the Smartshare session sorted it out or what was it, but for the moment I can’t reproduce the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ah, of course now that I have a lead (gathering support information etc.) I can’t get it to buzz anymore :-)

Yesterday I’ve watched something via Smart share without problems, then some IPTV. I don’t know if the Smartshare session sorted it out or what was it, but for the moment I can’t reproduce the issue.

If you do manage to figure out a reliable repro for this, please let us know :) A diagnostic as soon as the buzzing starts would also be helpful. 

Yep it comes back... 

Diagnostic created 502967541

so the plot thickens...i got my sonos replaced under warranty ....two weeks in and buzzing starts again on my brand new system...i have sent diagnostics of no....1687051048..so something tells me this is a software issue 😡😡😡

I was having this issue too.  Tried the EQ Reset as well as a different HDMI cable - neither resolved.

Submitted diagnostics to support, and they said it showed nothing clearly wrong.  Support suggested…

“Can we reboot the Beam to clear out the cache on it? Unplug the Beam off from power for 30 seconds then plug it back to power.”

That resolved the issue (for now).

Support said…

“ Rebooting the speaker also help clear any possible issue on it, since it was powered on for 23 days and it did an update. The cache seems hit it limit. Kindly reboot the speakers for time to time to clear the cache on each one.”

Hopefully this helps a few folks avoid the hassle of a full factory reset.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I am running S1 and I have had exactly the same problem. Switching off both the TV and Beam at the plug point resolves it but it can happen on consecutive days or then a week apart.

I assumed it was the TV which is 5 years old or the cable which I was going to replace.

Interesting to see if the next update whenever that is,  resolves it.

Cheers

I am also having the buzzing sound. I turned it off and back on and the buzzing stopped.  

Same problem since S2 upgrade. It was much worse (louder) the first time it happened a few days after the update. I power cycled it (turned it off and on) and that resolved the buzzing but it has been back 2-3 times since. On each occasion I power cycle. Very frustrating and hope this gets resolved in next update.

There’s multiple thread with these issues. I have a beam and 2units Sonos 3. 
Issues can only resolve if I power cycle it. Can someone acknowledge and work on this!

Only happen after the S2 update recently. It’s definitely a firmware issue