Best settings for Apple TV 4K for sound to Beam?

• 12 August 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi All,
After receiving a Sonos Beam I figured that I needed a new TV and have just pulled the trigger on a new 4K HDR TV, along with a Apple TV 4K.

I'm a little in doubt about what the best settings are for getting the sound from the Apple TV into the Beam, and therefore hope you can help me by sharing your settings on the AT?

I will have the sound going from the AT going into the TV via HDMI then passthrough via ARC HDMI into the Beam.

BTW, do I need special HDMI cables for ARC support or will normal HDMI cables work?

Best regards
René

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 1
The Beam includes cables (HDMI) for connecting to your TV. I have an AppleTV 4k run through the Sony Bravia TV then to the Beam. Just got the Sonos last week.

I ran the tuner app and all seems great ! The tune setup is important to get the best levels. It only takes a few minutes to do.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi chrobison.
Thanks for the info, I will use the included HDMI Cable.
Did you setup the sound setting on the apple TV in a specific way, or did you just use the "standard" out of the box setting?
Userlevel 1
Hi chrobison.
Did you setup the sound setting on the apple TV in a specific way, or did you just use the "standard" out of the box setting?

On the Apple TV, set the Audio Out to DD5.1 instead of 'Best Available'. From what I've read, it works best. I've also noticed that leaving the sound out put to 'Apple TV' vs 'Living Room' (or whatever you've set up in Sonos) seems to deliver the best sound quality for TV and movies.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi again chrobison,
I have now set up my new Apple TV based on your recommendations and it works beautifully :D
Thanks you very much for the help. Now it's just to lean back and enjoy the show.
Userlevel 1
Terrific !
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi chrobison.

On the Apple TV, set the Audio Out to DD5.1 instead of 'Best Available'. From what I've read, it works best. I've also noticed that leaving the sound out put to 'Apple TV' vs 'Living Room' (or whatever you've set up in Sonos) seems to deliver the best sound quality for TV and movies.

Thanks for that advice. It does sound much better that way.
Badge
[quote=chrobison]Hi chrobison.
On the Apple TV, set the Audio Out to DD5.1 instead of 'Best Available'. ...

How do you adjust settings for Apple TV ... I didn't know it was tweakable?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
It’s in settings