Benefit to connecting both the Arc & Sub to ethernet?

• 20 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Would there be a benefit to having both the Arc and the Sub connected directly to ethernet (Cat 5e)? I also have surrounds, but they have no wall jacks near them for wired internet) Or is it faster to just connect the Arc and have it create SonosNet? Advice on how to make the fastest/most responsive surround set up are appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jstruck.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to know the benefit of having both the Sonos Arc and Sub connected via ethernet cable. Let me help you out.

The benefit of having this type of set up is a continuous internet connection only with no issues of having any Sonos device dropping out of the network. On the contrary, instead of the Sonos Arc directly communicating to the Sub via the 5Ghz wireless connection it creates, it would communicate to the Sub via the wired connection which would need to pass through the router which may cause delays. I would recommend having only the Sonos Arc be connected via ethernet cable and leaving both the satellite speakers and the Sub be connected wirelessly so that the Sonos Arc can communicate to them directly via the 5 GHz it created.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge +3

Hi @jstruck.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to know the benefit of having both the Sonos Arc and Sub connected via ethernet cable. Let me help you out.

The benefit of having this type of set up is a continuous internet connection only with no issues of having any Sonos device dropping out of the network. On the contrary, instead of the Sonos Arc directly communicating to the Sub via the 5Ghz wireless connection it creates, it would communicate to the Sub via the wired connection which would need to pass through the router which may cause delays. I would recommend having only the Sonos Arc be connected via ethernet cable and leaving both the satellite speakers and the Sub be connected wirelessly so that the Sonos Arc can communicate to them directly via the 5 GHz it created.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concers. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A ,

Got’cha!

But doesn’t the Sonos Sub (Gen 3) use 2.4 ghz? I thought that was its only capable wireless frequency? Or does it also support 5 ghz for SonosNet? I’m a bit confused on its hardware regarding wireless now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jstruck.

Thanks for the feedback and immediate response.

All Sonos devices except the Sonos Move is capable of connecting via Sonos Net or 2.4 GHz Wireless network. However, when it comes to home theater setups, the Sub and surrounds of a Sonos Main home theater speaker do communicate and need to communicate directly to the master home theater speaker (connected to the TV) via its own created 5 GHz network. They need to communicate with a 5 GHz bandwidth to avoid any latency or delay with the audio of the Sub and surrounds. They would only transition to a 2.4 GHz bandwidth communication when they are in power saving mode (not in use). This is a little private network of the Sonos main home theater speaker exclusive to the Sub and surrounds that are going to be added to it via the Sonos App.

I hope this gives more clear info. 

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A ,

Two of my Sonos One speakers are functioning as the two rear speakers in the home cinema setting. Now I am looking for a 100% wired setup (no wireless communication at all). However, although I have checked the option “no wifi” in the app for both the Arc and the surround speakers, and I have an ethernet connection for all speakers in place, there is still a wireless connection between the arc and the surround speakers. If I disconnect the ethernet cables from the rear speakers, their is still surround sound coming out of the speakers. (I've read your comment that with a 100% wired setting, it may cause delays because all sounds go through the router first). Can you help me out with a 100% wired setting?

Thanks a lot!

Peter (Netherlands)