Beam randomly plays a few seconds of sound from TV (?) despite TV being off

• 9 December 2020
  • 15 replies

I have a Sonos beam and an an Philips ambilight TV. Recently, despite TV being off a few seconds of sound comes out of the beam. This is also now happening when I play Sonos radio or Apple Music from the Sonos app through the beam 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Neithal.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Have you already tried to unplug & plug the hdmi cable into your tv?

I’d also be tempted to do a network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting the router. When the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. 

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you use a set top box for TV? If so, do you turn it off when you turn off the TV?

I have exactly this issue after a recent firmware update on the TV. 

I’ve rebooted router. 

There is an Apple TV, PS4, Cable, Blue Ray Player all connected but the random sounds seem to be coming from the actual inbuilt TV channels of the TV. 

it prevents me from using the beam as a speaker playing music whiLST TV is off as the noise interrupts played music and then when the noise stops, silence. 

Or it just comes on when everything is off

I also have an ambilight tv + beam and have the same issue. Yesterday I disconnected the beam from the TV to see if it it still happens, hasn’t happened yet.

I seem to be having exactly the same issue… Beam connected to a Philips Ambilight TV and at least once a day for about 10 seconds, the sound starts playing very loud as though the TV is on even though it's off and often has been for some time. I've checked and it's not even playing sound from the last selected channel and has went off during the middle of the night. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @G00D4ll.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Have you already tried the option like @mwmw did, by disconnecting the beam from the tv?

How often do you encounter this kind of issue?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi Mark,

The purpose of buying the beam was to be used as TV speaker as well as to stream music to it. I've tried unplugging and reconnecting, but the issue still occurs

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It looks like this is Philips -specific. Does the TV look for updates at a certain time and therefore turn itself (at least partially) on? Could the problem be cured by turning off the automatic update function on the TV?

Philips support suggested reinstalling the tv firmware - I did this 2 days ago and haven’t had the issue yet; will post again if it does happen.

Issue just happened again, so reinstalling firmware did not fix it. I’ll get back to Philips.

Userlevel 2

Same issue here, same Ambilight TV and Beam combo whereby the beam often plays random streams at random times when the tv is off! 

Be nice if we got a resolution or something to try other than the obligatory switch it off response…..

I chased Philips a few days ago…

”We thank you for your patience whilst your case is under investigation. Please be advised we will update you as soon as more information is available.”

I’ve got an Ambilight OLED Philips TV and this has also been happening to me! It’s freaked me out a number of times. Good to know i’m not experiencing an isolated incident.

The response from Philips support:

We have reviewed your case and appreciate your frustration and thank you your patience.

The ongoing issues are software related and in this instance a repair will not resolve. We are working on a software update and unable to advise on a date of release as this present time.

If you are happy to wait for the release you will be prompted by your TV that an update is available. If you do not wish to wait for the update , in this instance we can only direct you to the retailer where you purchased the Philips TV

Best regards,

I asked what models it affects but they didn’t know.