Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi. I have an LG C8 OLED TV and a Beam, connected Via HDMI Arc. I also have some Sony Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try and play the TV audio via Bluetooth after 2 seconds it switches back to Arc. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have to pull the HDMI lead out of the Beam, but can it be disabled via the app or some other way? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by chucky999 12 August 2019, 04:10

View original

212 replies

It’s not a ‘bug’ per se, it’s the way CEC was written. Neither LG nor Sonos own CEC, they just use the specification as an implementation point. But since the CEC control (computer) is in the TV set, and the Sonos is merely a client to that, I’d start the discussion with LG. 

Then tell me why people don’t have the same issue with other sound systems..

its the way sonos is uses SEC so it IS their bug

FFS sonos just hire some descent developers or let ChatGPT check your code. These are bugs a startup company has not a company with years of experience.

if you want to run with the big guys, deliver quality on all parts. B&W are doing a way better job. With them you get and good software and a way better sound experience. Yes you pay the price. But if this isn’t getting fixed in a few months I will replace all of Sonos  crap with descent products

Hi. I have an LG C8 OLED TV and a Beam, connected Via HDMI Arc. I also have some Sony Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try and play the TV audio via Bluetooth after 2 seconds it switches back to Arc. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have to pull the HDMI lead out of the Beam, but can it be disabled via the app or some other way? Thanks.

This is a workaround not a solution 

What does the Securities Exchange Commission have to do with this?

I’m going to try something that may be easier than physically unplugging.

Kasa sells smart plugs that do not require a separate hub, only Wi-Fi. I have a bunch of them around for lights, my coffee maker, and fans. There’s an app that lets you have a timer or schedule and allows you to turn it on an off from your phone. I’m going to plug the speaker into the smart plug so that I can simply turn on and off the speakers from the couch when I want to use my AirPods or my XBOX headset so I won’t wake up the baby when I watch TV or game.

Rather than physically unplugging the HDMI this is an option. I don’t see either Sonos or LG fixing this because honestly no one gives a f. It’s been years from browsing other posts in this and other forums. Will let you guys know how this works tonight!

Etherial has a fixer that can simulate yanking the HDMI connection.

Etherial has a fixer that can simulate yanking the HDMI connection.

I looked up that product and it’s around $300! 

By the way the Kasa smart plug solution worked! Tried it out just now before bed. 

The Kasa smart plugs set is currently $26 for four of them on Amazon. I have several reserved for situations just like this. They’re also very convenient to have around in case you want to turn anything into a ‘smart’ item that turns on and off on a schedule or just from where you’re sitting/laying down.

This is not the automatic solution that you may have been looking for, but all you have to do is take out your phone and shut off the sonos with one button as soon as the Kasa app opens. 

Just a quick note you have to first turn off the Sonos speaker before you connect your bluetooth headphones. I had to delete the headphones from the TV for the first time for some reason, but after that it worked just fine. 

Badge

Realise this thread is a bit old but came across it when I was searching for an answer to the same issue I am having and can confirm that the brand new Sonos Arc also has the exact same problem. Using Sonos Arc with LG C9 connected via eARC with CEC enabled and am now not able to use any other audio outputs. After selecting any of them, it jumps back to ARC after a couple of seconds.
Hope its a bug that gets resolved as currently the implementation of CEC on this flagship Sonos soundbar is quite disappointing.

hi, just bought  BT headphones the BT switching to sonos arc HDMI e-arc still happens on my lgc559pla TV.

Badge

cec blocker available uk amazon 

anyone had any luck using this on e-arc hdmi on their tv ?

Moderator edit: link removed at request of author

I found an even better free solution.

I have the C2. There’s a remote with a mic. You can press the mic and say ‘Simplink off’, or enable voice recognition without touching anything.

If there’s no mic on your remote just turn off Simplink. 

Badge

hi, yes that works using command on tv remote.

many thanks

Note that “Simplink” is LG’s private name for industry standard CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Some TV’s will disable advanced sound modes when CEC is disabled. This behavior varies from model to model. Using a CEC blocker in the HDMI connection prevents the miscommunication while satisfying the TV that CEC is enabled. As far as the TV is concerned, its CEC commands are ignored and it never receives any CEC commands.

Here is some information on CEC, which includes many of the random names various companies use for it.

I have the same problem with a Samsung TV. It doesn’t matter what other sound output I select, it switches back to Sonos Beam immediately after.

I have the same problem with a Samsung TV. It doesn’t matter what other sound output I select, it switches back to Sonos Beam immediately after.

Maybe see if switching off AnyNet+ first in the TV settings …and then switching sound-output will work for you.

If AnyNet/CEC is disabled, then ARC is also disabled (so Sonos can’t be used as an audio output via HDMI).

If AnyNet/CEC is disabled, then ARC is also disabled (so Sonos can’t be used as an audio output via HDMI).

Correct…You should not (hopefully) need CEC enabled if you’re switching the audio-output to anything other than the connected soundbar. Just switch AnyNet+ back on later to use the Arc.

I have the C2. There’s a remote with a mic. You can press the mic and say ‘Simplink off’, or enable voice recognition without touching anything.

Hi. I have a LG 65QNED90 and when I turn off “Simplink”, about 2 seconds later the TV automatically turn ON Simplink again. I have Sonos Arc conected to TV (eARC port).

Hi. I have a LG 65QNED90 and when I turn off “Simplink”, about 2 seconds later the TV automatically turn ON Simplink again. I have Sonos Arc conected to TV (eARC port).

You would be best to discuss this matter with the manufacturers customer support desk - maybe give them a call. I have their C9 TV and that switches off Simplink with no issue and it stays switched off allowing the audio output to be changed. It might be the case that the TV firmware needs an update, but perhaps see what LG say about the matter.

Nope. The ERC is automatically re-enabled by Sonos and only when Sonos arc  device is used in that port

Nope. The ERC is automatically re-enabled by Sonos and only when Sonos arc  device is used in that port

Presumably it’s any device designed to connect to the TV ARC/eARC port that makes use of the CEC protocol. Usually (in most cases) it’s just a case of switching off CEC on the TV to then allow access to all other audio outputs.

Same issue - brand new Sonos Beam gen2 with 2 play:1 surrounds plugged into eArc on a 55” LG C1. Can’t seem to watch TV using the internal TV speaker, as it switches back to eArc audio after 2 seconds or so. 

Guess we keep bugging Sonos for a fix… 

Every poster in this thread has listed the TV settings menu as being the source of the problem.  What in the wide world of sports makes you think the settings in the TV menu are something Sonos can fix? 

Every poster here has listed disabling a feature of the TV so the broken CEC implementation on the Sonos will stop continuously grabbing the audio for itself. No other make of soundbar does this.

​​​​​​If a stretch of road is bad and every car needs the tires taken to half pressure for it then pumped up again afterwards you don't fix ALL the cars. You fix the road.

Every poster here has listed disabling a feature of the TV so the broken CEC implementation on the Sonos will stop continuously grabbing the audio for itself. No other make of soundbar does this.

​​​​​​If a stretch of road is bad and every car needs the tires taken to half pressure for it then pumped up again afterwards you don't fix ALL the cars. You fix the road.

Which means switching off CEC - same if you use Bluetooth headphones or BT speaker with the TV - you need to switch it off when you’re done using it. There is nothing wrong with how Sonos works when using the audio return channel and CEC control… the TV settings cater for the switching between input/output already. So there is nothing that needs fixing here.

I have two different brand televisions equipped with Sonos.  One can switch between Bluetooth, internal speakers, and Sonos via ARC easily, with no disabling of CEC.  The other requires disabling CEC.   Can you explain how Sonos’ “broken CEC implementation” is at fault for that?  

Issue still persists

LG G3 oled + sonos beam gen 2

Cannot even switch off cec/simplink on my lg

Problem has been going on for years. ** terrible support for such a premium brand.

This is a reason to return my sonos set-up

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

@Pcl007abc 

It must be the first LG TV model then that doesn’t allow the user to switch off ‘Simplink’ - So you are likely best to speak to LG. I have three models of LG TV around our Home and every one of them will only switch to its Bluetooth output when the CEC protocol is disabled and I have no issue disabling it on any of the three LG TV’s, with either a Beam, or Arc, connected to the HDMI-2 port.