Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi. I have an LG C8 OLED TV and a Beam, connected Via HDMI Arc. I also have some Sony Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try and play the TV audio via Bluetooth after 2 seconds it switches back to Arc. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have to pull the HDMI lead out of the Beam, but can it be disabled via the app or some other way? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by chucky999 12 August 2019, 04:10

View original

212 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Well first... it's not switching from Bluetooth. The Beam is not a Bluetooth speaker, but I digress.

Chances are your TV or Cable box is still playing and the Beam is set to auto-play. So turn them off when listening to other audio, or check the Beam's room settings and disable auto-play.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Well first... it's not switching from Bluetooth. The Beam is not a Bluetooth speaker, but I digress.

Chances are your TV or Cable box is still playing and the Beam is set to auto-play. So turn them off when listening to other audio, or check the Beam's room settings and disable auto-play.

Sorry you didn’t understand what I wrote.

I know the Beam isn’t a Bluetooth device, I didn’t say it was. I said I’m trying to play my TV audio via Bluetooth to my Bluetooth headphones. I can’t turn the TV off, because I’m using it with my Bluetooth headphones.

Perhaps I should just start again...

My TV is connected to the Beam via Arc. I’m trying to use my Bluetooth headphone with the TV (late at night, so I don’t disturb the household). When I go into the the TV’s menu and chose Bluetooth as the audio output it plays audio via the headphones for 2 seconds before it automatically switches back to the Beam. This is because the Beam is ‘always on’ (unlike other amps I have used).

What I am asking is - is there any other solution other then pulling the power or HDMI cable out of the Beam? (I know one solution is to change to optical, but I want to stick with Arc is possible).
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

What I am asking is - is there any other solution otter then pulling the power or HDMI cable out of the Beam?

At this point I would say your TV manufacturer would be the best people to talk to. Seeing how it's automatically switching where it's sending audio to, they can verify if that's expected behavior from their product.
Userlevel 7
Hi Badgercop

If you get no help from LG you might try a device like the one in the link. Connect it via the LG's optical out and switch audio to it in the LG's menu. When done switch it back to HDMI-ARC.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B07BQYYDNJ/ref=sr_1_19?crid=3EXMEAUGZ2AAD&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter+for+tv&qid=1556109842&s=gateway&sprefix=blue+tooth%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-19

Another option which does not require switching outputs; but is more expensive is to purchase a Sonos Connect. You would setup the Connect as a room then connect the BT transmitter to it via optical out. When you want to use your BT headphones you would group the Connect to the Beam. In the Sonos app you'd be able to adjust the audio of the Beam and the Connect separately (i.e. lower the Beam audio completely). Assuming your BT headphones have volume control you would adjust the level accordingly. You could actually leave the Connect and Beam grouped permanently.

Note: Make sure you purchase the Connect from a source that has a liberal return policy. You may have to make adjustments for audio delay. If it proves to be a non-workable solution just return the Connect.

Cheers!
Using a Connect to feed a BT transmitter, grouped with the Beam, would not be very satisfactory. In addition to the BT delay -- which can range from acceptable with aptX-LL to annoying with SBC -- you'd have the Sonos ~70ms delay.

The Amazon linked item would certainly work, but something such as this one would make more practical and economic sense. aptX-HD has too high a latency for TV and the additional range of the more expensive model would not be required. You might well be able to tuck the small transmitter away behind the TV, powered off the TV's USB socket.

By the way there should be no 'switching' involved as the TV optical output ought to be live all the time. Just mute the Beam when using the BT. The TV would also need to send PCM to the BT transmitter, not DD, but this setting should be separate from that which controls the ARC output.
Userlevel 2
I have the same problem as Badgercop. It seems that this is pretty common as shown by these similar threads in the sidebar to this thread. The best, though not optimal, solution seems to be to turn off the HDMI-CEC connection on your TV. It would be nice of SONOS would fix the APP to handle this situation. The problem is not solely with LG systems - both Samsung and Sony are referenced in the other threads.

I have the same problem as Badgercop. It seems that this is pretty common as shown by these similar threads in the sidebar to this thread. The best, though not optimal, solution seems to be to turn off the HDMI-CEC connection on your TV. It would be nice of SONOS would fix the APP to handle this situation. The problem is not solely with LG systems - both Samsung and Sony are referenced in the other threads.

chucky999

You’re the man! This is in fact the fix for my LG65C8PUA. Annoying that I have to do this, but much better than unplugging the HDMI ARC as Badgercop was doing. Thanks for sharing - you’ve clearly researched the issue. 

Note that this “bug” is the way that the HDMI-CEC spec, which includes HDMI-ARC, is written. Sonos doesn’t have the option of changing it. 

Userlevel 1

Note that this “bug” is the way that the HDMI-CEC spec, which includes HDMI-ARC, is written. Sonos doesn’t have the option of changing it. 

Completely disagree, every surround sound and other HDMI-CEC device people own manages to do what the OP is asking just fine.

People are experiencing this on lots of different manufacturers’ TVs across different models and are just trying to get the same functionality that they had before - It is 100% a Sonos issue.

Chucky999’s fix worked for me.  I was having same issue on a Samsung TV.  When swapping TV audio to Bluetooth headphones with a Beam connected to HDMI ARC, the Beam would hijack the connection back after about 2 secs.  Turning off HDMI CEC on the TV “fixed” the issue. However there should be a more elegant solution than this.  One “option” is to use the adapter with the Beam and go to the Optical output on the TV instead of HDMI ARC. The Beam won’t hijack audio when connected that way bu you loose some functionality like TV remote control of Beam volume. 

Userlevel 1

I just purchased a new Samsung TV today and a Sonos beam+sub and now have this issue when connecting my Bose Bluetooth headset. The HDMI-CEC workaround is not good/nice, so I really hope that Sonos can fix this issue somehow.

It’s a ‘feature’ of the HDMI-CEC spec. Connect your Beam via optical, or your headphones, and there won’t be that conflict. 

In very simple setups HDMI-CEC can work well, however, in more complicated setups it is a hazard. You can get into a situation where the order of commands is important. For example if one turns OFF the TV, then turns OFF the Blue-ray player, the TV is likely to turn ON again and switch to the cable box. This can create interesting dramas if one partner is sleeping and the other had been watching a disc. This becomes worse if the viewing partner falls asleep without properly shutting down the system. Eventually, most Blu-ray players will automatically turn OFF after a disc ends and there are no further commands. Another drama unfolds if the cable company updates their firmware in the middle of the night because the TV might turn ON after the update is complete.

Overall, Airgetlam’s solution of using an optical connection for Bluetooth is the most practical, but I can imagine misadventures here too. Eventually there will be cost effective add-on control systems that can manage CEC, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for these.

Realise this thread is a bit old but came across it when I was searching for an answer to the same issue I am having and can confirm that the brand new Sonos Arc also has the exact same problem. Using Sonos Arc with LG C9 connected via eARC with CEC enabled and am now not able to use any other audio outputs. After selecting any of them, it jumps back to ARC after a couple of seconds.
Hope its a bug that gets resolved as currently the implementation of CEC on this flagship Sonos soundbar is quite disappointing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Using Sonos Arc with LG C9 connected via eARC with CEC enabled and am now not able to use any other audio outputs. After selecting any of them, it jumps back to ARC after a couple of seconds.
Hope its a bug that gets resolved as currently the implementation of CEC on this flagship Sonos soundbar is quite disappointing.

I've had Beam and sub 3.1 combo for 2 years now hooked up to a LG E8 and have to switch HDMI CEC  off to use bluetooth with my  headphones. I see it as a CEC issue not a Sonos one. I also have CEC issues when activating CEC and other items like ATV4K and a Foxtel cable box I need to turn it off for the Apple box. 

I think the issue is due to Sonos being a music player and media streamer and not just a dumb soundbar.  

Userlevel 1

Same behavior. I can't use any other audio options other than the internal speakers. With Bluetooth I get a second of sound, then the ARC takes back the output. On my LG OLED I can't even turn off hdmi-cec as it turns it back on when I switch to the sound bar. 

All I want is to be able to use Bluetooth headphones at night.…

Sigh....

Userlevel 1

thank you!!  Found this through a Google search. I have an LG OLED B8 with the Beam and have the same problem! This is unfortunately a temporary and annoying work around.  My Bose 700 bluetooth headphones cost more than the Beam, can't Sonos step up to allow us to switch between them quickly?? I use them at night so i don't bother the wifey while enjoying some late night TV in our condo.

Can't Sonos fIx such a simple issue? I'm sure thousands of others have this issue.

Userlevel 1

It is unfortunate to see this hasn’t been corrected even in new products. I purchased a Sonos Arc to go with LG CX. Due to COVID my wife is currently working from home, in order not to disturb her, I was trying to use Bluetooth headphones, then tried wired headphones, arc keeps overriding my choice after a few seconds. May send it back, as while I can do the “fix” mentioned above, a current device shouldn’t be forcing me to turn off features of the tv just to work properly, especially since this an over a year old issue.

Edit: This isn’t an LG issue, I hooked up my older Bose sound bar and sound output selections work properly.

I’ve got the same issue. LG C8 and ARC. Will try the CEC route this evening. It’s not ideal to have to do a work around as you would think the integration between Sonos and LG would be better. 

I bought an Alexa enabled plug. I say “Alexa turn Arc off.” It powers down. The  Bluetooth sticks because the Arc power is off. Just have to turn back on in am. 

Same here. Sonos AMP hooked up with HDMI to Sony 9305. It is ridiculous Sonos not prioritizing this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand the other threads about this, the behaviour is confirming to HDMI-CEC standards. There’s nothing to fix. Certainly not by Sonos.

As I understand the other threads about this, the behaviour is confirming to HDMI-CEC standards. There’s nothing to fix. Certainly not by Sonos.

If this is a HDMI-CEC standard issue millions of people should have the same issue with other sound systems for years. This standard is over 10 years old. I highly doubt this is the case and there’s nothing Sonos could do about it.

Now me ☹️

Sonos Arc and LG OLED.

I have noticed the same issue with an LG C9 and Sonos ARC. I have an old pair of Sony rf wireless headphones connected to the headphone jack. When I switch to the headphone option they work fine, but when I try to connect my new Bluetooth headphones the tv switches back to eARC after a couple of seconds. Really frustrating. Seems strange its just the Bluetooth connection that is is affected, but looks like I will be sticking with the old headphones. Its a shame Sonos cannot fix this as I never had the same issue with my old soundbar.