Beam (Gen 2) disorted / metallic sound w/ TV (eARC) and Night Sound Mode

• 1 July 2022
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Similar to what is outlined here:

I experience in some cases a metallic / distorted / chirping sound on my Beam2. Happens with Panasonic and LG TV, so it’s not a TV issue.

The metallic sound is somewhat in the background, but clearly noticeable. It is also somewhat correlated to the original sound, seems to be directly „derived“ from it, like a distorted low volume copy.

For me only happens in night sound mode.

When i disable night sound, the issue disappears my.

Seem to happen more often on TV channels with PCM stereo. But I have not been able to relay reliably reproduce it. It happens quite often though.

Switching the channel can make the error appear or go away.

Wild engineering guess is some sort of Bitstream MSB/LSB alignment error. Re-init also means re-align and this can fix it. Possibly hardware not SW?

Anyone else experiencing this?

4 replies

I would perhaps try to capture the sound in a mobile video recording and also submit a diagnostic report when you next encounter the issue. Note the diagnostic reference and then call/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what they may recommend/suggest.

I’ve got the Beam (gen2) here in our Dining Room, but can’t say I’ve ever come across the issue. Maybe try it either with another TV, if you are in a position to do that easily, or perhaps just try a different HDMI cable to try to see if that may eliminate the issue.

Anyhow, I hope you can get the matter resolved.

I’m getting the same issue. Connection wise I’m going from beam>HDMI>Opitcal adapter>tv. Not sure if that’s the root of the problem. Going to try HDMI arc with a different tv tomorrow (the one I’m using now doesn’t have arc input)

I'm experiencing this too. Beam Gen 2, via EARC on HD Arcana. I was using it last night with no issue and noticed the metallic distortion in the background. It while watching BBC1 News this evening.

It seemed to disappear after switching the TV (Panasonic) off and on, along with the V6 box. 

I'm experiencing this too. Beam Gen 2, via EARC on HD Arcana. I was using it last night with no issue and noticed the metallic distortion in the background. It while watching BBC1 News this evening.

It seemed to disappear after switching the TV (Panasonic) off and on, along with the V6 box. 

Perhaps see the first paragraph in my earlier post, just in case you do encounter the issue again.