Skip to main content
Answered

Beam 5.1 Philips 4K TV Audio delay

• 6 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi there,

I'm aware this issue has been kicking around for a long time but found no case-specific to Philips TV's

When in 5.1 modes the audio is slightly behind the video.

I'm using an Amazon Firestick 4K, and when I put it stereo it's perfect, but without 5.1 there is a slight delay that really bugs me!

The setup is:

Beam, Sub, 2 x Play:1 Phillips Ambilight 55PUS7394/12.

I set the Firestick to 'Always Dolby Digital' and the TV to 'multichannel.'

I've attempted all the other configurations 'multichannel bypass' on the TV etc., but they have the same issue, often worse though.

Same issue with Netflix, amazon prime, iPlayer and the rest.

​​​​​​So frustrating! A lot of cash to put down for something that doesn't work!

Anyone else had a he same issue?

Chris

Hi @ZeroChris, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I’d be happy to help you all here and it would be best for those having trouble submitting a diagnostic report of your system for better understanding and see what would be best for the setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Brilliant, thanks Rowena!

Hi @ZeroChris, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, all your Sonos speakers are connected to your WiFi network, and there's interference that may be caused by wireless congestion, and the Beam detected an audio playback failure. This could be the cause of the audio delay since your Beam is the one sending the signal to your surround speakers and the Sub.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps if this will work for you and to isolate the issue.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from your Beam and Philips TV. 
  2. Unplug the power cable from your Philips TV, the Beam, and any connected audio source (Firestick and other devices). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
  3. Reconnect only the HDMI cable to your Philips TV and the Beam. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
  4. Update the Philips TV’s software (if available)
  5. Adjust the group audio delay
    • Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
  6. Try another HDMI cable if you will experience the same.
  7. Check for update in the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Check for updates

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and run another diagnostic while your Philips TV is playing for us to check. Please let us know the confirmation number. 

If you have any questions about this, let us know. We'll wait for your reply.

Brilliant, Rowena that worked!

A total power off restart of all components and changing the Group Audio Delay to the lowest amount and it's all working great.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Hi @ZeroChris, thank you for keeping us posted on this. I’m glad that your Sonos system working now after performing the steps provided. If you encounter any issues in the future or if you have any questions, please feel free to reach back to us. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

AnotherPhilips TV user with lip sync issues, but with my Arc. I put a post on here the other month, but no one from Sonos replied or tried to help. I would love to fix the issue, it not I will be replacing the Sonos Arc for the Philips Fidelio B97. This is my first and probably last Sonos product, which is a shame because the sound it produces is fantastic.

Maybe Philips will fix their TVs’ ARC audio path in time for the release of their own sound bar?

I hope so as I’d love to keep my Arc, but I doubt they’ll feel the need to due to their sound bar having more than one HDMI port. I’ll have to wait and see.