Answered

Auto shut down connect amp with line in.

• 10 October 2017
  • 10 replies

Badge
I use a connect amp with a line in from a 3.5mm jack to rca phono leads. On an evening I turn tv off but when I get up in the morning the connect amp still says its “playing” the tv line in even though the line in is dormant. The amp is warm which means it’s been going all night. Does it not have a self shut down operation If it becomes dormant? Would this not be a great idea. I as much as anyone think it’s ridiculous that I’m writing this, after all, all I need to do is put on the app and press stop on the amp. I just keep completely forgetting. And I think the times I do it would be nice if amp shut down after 30 minutes or so. Just a thought.
icon

Best answer by Chris 11 October 2017, 01:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It must be still getting some type of signal from the TV. You may want to try a different cable. If it concerns you could set a timer for like 2am each night that plays silence for 15 minutes (thus turning off the amp until next use).
Badge
Thank you very much. Can I use splitters on the line in so I can have 2 line in sources?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just checking: are you sure the Amp is more ‘on’ than it would be in normal standby? All Sonos devices emit some heat when on standby, the older models more then than the recent ones. The Amp will still show the input as Line In until you change it to something else.
Badge
It’s definitely on. It shows that it’s playing and I can press stop on the app on the amp. Plus it’s a newer one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you can’t teally have two line in sources
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It’s definitely on. It shows that it’s playing and I can press stop on the app on the amp. Plus it’s a newer one.

The CONNECT:AMP is a fairly old model, you just have a new instance of an old design.

I don't have my Amp in service at the moment, but on my CONNECT, I can switch the input to its Line In, and it will show as 'Playing' in the controller even if there is nothing connected to the other end of the Line In cable, i.e., not having a signal doesn't ever switch it to 'Stopped'.

The CONNECT always emits a bit of heat in standby, just like the AMP does. Also, if there was any signal being sent to your Line In, wouldn't you hear something through the speakers?

Anyway, you seem sure you have a problem rather than just seeing normal behaviour. Just trying to help.
Badge
I don’t know I have a problem, I just know the amp is quite warm in the morning if I haven’t pressed stop the night before. If I have pressed stop it’s quite cool. In a morning I still have this screen

with the 3 bars under the line in symbol (to the left of ‘living room’ still moving up and down like a graphic equaliser. If my 3 sonos play 1’s stop playing whatever album they were on then those three bars at the side of the play 1 room name stop moving as the speaker goes into standby. But the connect amp one never does when line in is selected even after the tv is switched off.

If this is normal then great I have nothing more to worry about other than thinking it would appear better if when the line in gets switched off then after 15 minutes of no input, instead of the screen above, then this screen

would look better which is what happens after I press stop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I don’t know I have a problem, I just know the amp is quite warm in the morning if I haven’t pressed stop the night before. If I have pressed stop it’s quite cool. In a morning I still have this screen with the 3 bars under the line in symbol (to the left of ‘living room’ still moving up and down like a graphic equaliser. If my 3 sonos play 1’s stop playing whatever album they were on then those three bars at the side of the play 1 room name stop moving as the speaker goes into standby. But the connect amp one never does when line in is selected even after the tv is switched off.

If this is normal then great I have nothing more to worry about other than thinking it would appear better if when the line in gets switched off then after 15 minutes of no input, instead of the screen above, then this screen would look better which is what happens after I press stop.

In my view it's normal behaviour. The idle power consumption of the AMP is about 6W, which would manifest as warmth to the touch:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/260/~/sonos-power-consumption-when-idle

Although I do note the comment that "Idle is defined as audio muted or paused on all players in the household for at least 3 minutes, no cables are connected to Line-In jacks, and no optical signal is being actively fed to a PLAYBAR (in most cases, this means that the TV is off).", which implies that the idle power usage may be higher if a Line In cable is merely connected. I'm going to remove the couple of cables I don't use!
Badge
So just as an update. My connect amp definitely stays on after tv is switched off. It seems to be still getting a signal from either the tv or the RCA cable. If I unplug the rca cables from back of sonos it immediately stops playing, then cools down over the next couple of hours. If I leave rca cables in amp but unplug 3.5mm jack from tv amp stays on and buzzes very loudly. I’m going to try better quality cables!
Badge
Even unplugging and fully powering down tv doesn’t help. Just seems having cables plugged in is enough to keep amp on.