Answered

AUDIO loss

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist II
  • 22 replies

Hi, I have. Sonos Arc with Sonos One surrounds connected to a LG OLED C2 TV. I get loss of audio intermittently when fast forwarding through adverts on recorded TV programmes and movies. When I switch off HDMI-CEC or eARC the sound returns.

Anybody else having this issue, and have you got a solution?

icon

Best answer by RussJK 24 June 2022, 16:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RussJK 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Most issues with TV audio (when it was working before) can be resolved by simply removing power from the TV for at least a couple of minutes.

Using the power button on the remote does not restart the TV’s software, so is not equivalent.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Corey,

I have just reinstalled the ARC as guided by the Sonos app. Let’s see if that works. 

If I hit the problem again I will generate a diagnostics report for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Corry,

I have just lost sound when stopping the playback of a movie. Diagnostics report generated (1914921788). I managed to get the sound back by switching SIMPLINK-CEC off then on again on my TV.

Can you advise on what the diagnostic report says please?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Corry,

The audio has just cut out again when pausing a movie recording. Same solution (switching HDMI-CEC on and off) resolved the issue.

Diagnostic report 1656835793 generated.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Corry, 

The audio has cut out again, this time after stopping a movie stream on Disney+. Switching off HDMI-CEC and then on again does not restore the audio.

Diagnostic report 44962337 generated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RussJK 

Thanks for the diagnostics. Did you try rebooting the TV? You didn’t mention. I’ll assume so.

The Arc is reporting issues with the audio feed, and that may be caused by a few things. If there is a bad connection on the HDMI cable, it could produce this issue, as well as making the CEC network confused. I recommend you put the end of the cable that is currently in the TV into the Arc, and the Arc end into the TV.

If issues persist after that, please try disabling CEC features on the other device that is plugged into your TV. If not labelled as CEC, they will typically refer to TV power or input switching.

If you can’t find any such settings, please test without that device connected to the TV, using TV apps/channels. If that fixes it, you may want to get a CEC-less adaptor to go between this other device and the TV.

Unrelated to these issues, you may want to clear the Arc immediate vicinity of other WiFi devices (though I realise this is difficult around a TV set up, please do what you can within reason - I don’t expect you to put your Arc on the floor!), due to the failed transmissions to/from the router. The same goes for your router - keep it away from other WiFi devices.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Corry,

I reinstalled the ARC again and the sound has been working today up until now.

Just lost audio again after pausing a video stream. Using the Setup TV facility in the Sonus app restored the audio.

Diagnostics report - 1463270465.

Trying your suggestion of reversing the HDMI cable entails taking the sound bar and TV off the wall, so it is not something that I can easily do.

I will give the CEC Less adaptor a try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RussJK 

If you don’t mind, what is that other device connected to the TV?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It’s a new DTRT4000 BT TV box (Humax manufactured) and does not have any HDMI-CEC options, so it probably isn’t supported.

There have been Humax boxes (I have one such) which generate spurious and disruptive CEC effects. The safest option would be to insert a CEC-less adapter in the line between the box and the TV, such as this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female-Black/dp/B00DL48KVI

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi ratty,

CEC less adapter has been ordered. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

CEC Less adapter now installed, so let’s see if that solves the problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Corry,

Just lost audio after stopping a NOW TV stream on my BT TV box.

Diagnostics report - 1089833586.

Looks like the CEC Less adapter did not work.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Corry,

Just tried to post an update, but it has gone to the moderators. 

Lost audio again, so adapter has not worked.

Diagnostic report - 1089833586

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yesterday I did a factory reset on my TV and then reinstalled all my devices, starting with my ARC. I left eARC disabled when connecting the BTTV box (previously it was enabled, but the LG TV software would not allow the setting to be switched off).

Let’s see if this works!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RussJK 

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility - fingers crossed!

I still see the same errors. It seems something was making the module for decoding the audio crash. How do other sources behave? If you use a built-in TV app or channel, does it behave the same way? Please check the Humax device for any software updates.

If resetting the TV did not help, to negate any other possible influence other than the feed itself, I recommend you connect the Arc to the TV via the optical adaptor supplied. If the issues continue, then the source of the issue is likely the TV box. This may be able to be confirmed by finding the same issue when using the TV’s speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HI Corry,

It has happened whilst using the Disney+ app on the TV, so multiple sources.

As a precaution I also changed the HDMI cable linking the ARC to the TV.

HI Corry,

It has happened whilst using the Disney+ app on the TV, so multiple sources.

As a precaution I also changed the HDMI cable linking the ARC to the TV.

Maybe see what happens when you connect the Arc to the TV via its Optical port, using the supplied Sonos adapter, to perhaps see if it might be the TV’s HDMI-ARC port at fault here.

@RussJK,

Also have you perhaps enabled ‘Instant Game Response’ on the LG TV’s HDMI-2 port, if so, then see if switching that feature ‘off’ in the TV’s Picture Settings might help with your issue as it can (in some cases) cause some issues with devices connected to the HDMI-ARC port.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Ken_Griffiths - I haven’t enabled any gaming settings, but thanks anyway for your suggestion.

The latest news is that we have not had any further audio drop outs. I’m leaning towards the HDMI cable being the source of the problem. I swapped a 1m one for a 1.5m one, because the shorter one may have been under a little bit of tension.