Arcana first impressions.

• 22 September 2020
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

TLDR - Arcana is an awesome device that fixed a major sound issue, as well as Atmos TrueHD.

My previous setup - Nvidia Shield TV → Samsung Q9FN TV standard HDMI input. Sonos Arc to Q9FN HDMI ARC port.

I had been having continual issues with no sound playing when I switched apps on the Shield. I had to force quit and restart the app to get sound again.

My current setup: Nvidia Shield TV → Arcana input. eARC from Arcana to Sonos Arc, HDMI from Arcana to Q9FN.

Arcana setup consisted of  connecting the cables and power cycling devices a couple of times. TrueHD Atmos from Kodi works fine, as well as DD+ Atmos from the streaming apps. My Shield remote continues to control both the TV and the Sonos Arc, no reconfiguration needed.

After 2 days, the sound problem never appeared once. Under the hood, the whole HDMI / CEC / HDCP / eARC world is a huge Charlie Foxtrot. It’s a wonder any of it works reliably :)

I believe that the HDFury folks know more about that world than any other major company. Kudos to them for an awesome product !!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

I am also very impressed. It would be worth the money for just sorting out the maddening lip sync issues with my 2016 LG OLED TV, but ARCANA does much more than that. TrueHD and Atmos sounding great from Blu-ray.

I’m anxious to get mine, and get home to install it. You two have me salivating, 

I currently only use apps native to my Samsung Nu8000 (netflix, amazon, disney), I have no additional external devices. The tv is currently connected via ARC (no earc) to the sonos arc. 

To get Atmos capability would I simply connect my tv to the Arcana and then to the Sonos arc?  Would this work?  Or would I require a switch or some other device?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I currently only use apps native to my Samsung Nu8000 (netflix, amazon, disney), I have no additional external devices. The tv is currently connected via ARC (no earc) to the sonos arc. 

To get Atmos capability would I simply connect my tv to the Arcana and then to the Sonos arc?  Would this work?  Or would I require a switch or some other device?

I would refer you to HDFury’s Arcana channel on Discord for a definitive answer.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

It won’t work that way. You will need an external source, e.g. AppleTV 4K or Nvidia Shield and play them through the Arcana. 

It won’t work that way. You will need an external source, e.g. AppleTV 4K or Nvidia Shield and play them through the Arcana. 

Thank you. Makes sense otherwise how would you split the signal. 

Hey folks, couple follow up questions.

1-I’ve ordered the Arcana and before I buy an Apple 4k tv does anyone know if the ATV apps for Netflix, Prime video, Disney + all deliver Atmos (with the right subscription)?

2-My current TV doesn't have earc, yet I just tried playing Jack Ryan on my TV’s native prime video app and am seeing audio in Dolby Atmos (DD+). Does this mean I’m actually getting Atmos? I’m not getting Atmos on Netflix/Disney/Apple app. Is this a glitch?

thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

To clarify one point, Atmos is not an audio codec. It is a metadata stream within existing Dolby Codecs. DD+ is used for Atmos by all main streaming services, so for those an HDMI ARC connection is fine. If you wanted to play a 4K Blue Ray at best quality, that would require Atmos over TrueHD or MAT which requires eARC.

As to which content on which streaming services over which streaming device will have Atmos, that is an evolving matrix. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Yes, ATV4K apps including ATV+, Disney+ and Netflix provide ATMOS through the Arcana. The codec is Dolby MAT.

Thank you both for the reply. Order placed for ATV. Looking forward to seeing it all in action when the Arcana arrives. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here’s a reference to the current state of “which streaming services over which streaming device will have Atmos” issue:

Hopefully the fact that it’s on a competitors site is OK here :)

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/the-ultimate-dolby-atmos-guide#dolby-atmos-vision-availability-in-streaming-apps

Here’s a reference to the current state of “which streaming services over which streaming device will have Atmos” issue:

Hopefully the fact that it’s on a competitors site is OK here :)

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/the-ultimate-dolby-atmos-guide#dolby-atmos-vision-availability-in-streaming-apps

Thanks for posting this Dave. Pretty sweet reference. Somewhat surprised that the amazon cube supports atmos across all apps and fire stick 4k does not.  What started as an elegant solution with 2018 Samsung Smart TV and a Sonos Arc has turned into Atmos rabbit hole. 

It’s somewhat challenging to predict what formats will be the preferred/successful ones five years from now… when’s the last time you saw a 3D TV?

Depending on the company, development processes can take extra time, and sometimes the bean counters can make changes that means your expected design no longer has the flexibility to support the codecs you originally designed it for, just to save a nickel per unit. 

I have the Arcana installed now and stil only getting DD 5.1 and no Atmos.

1. Any quick fixes to looks for?
  2. How does Audio and Audio Routing need to be configured on Arcana.
  3. Needs to be powered up in some particular sequence?

Thanks!

I have the Arcana installed now and stil only getting DD 5.1 and no Atmos.

1. Any quick fixes to looks for?
  2. How does Audio and Audio Routing need to be configured on Arcana.
  3. Needs to be powered up in some particular sequence?

Thanks!

I suggest you join the HD Fury ‘discord’ channel. The link to it is on the main page of the Arcana site. The tech support there seems highly responsive. You will need to provide all your components for them to guide you. 

I figured it out. I still had my Apple TV 4K set to DD 5.1. Changed format to Auto and have Atmos now. I will join “discord” channel to.