Question

Arc with Amp-powered in-ceiling speakers impact on Atmos

• 5 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I currently have two in-ceiling speakers installed in my basement, which I intend to use for a home theatre. I was considering the Sonos Arc given its support for Dolby Atmos at a reasonable price. However, I was wondering if using the in-ceiling speakers in tandem with the Arc for surrounds would have an enhancing effect, negligible difference or an adverse impact. My worry is that the in-ceiling speakers may interfere with the up-firing speakers on the Arc… is this something that Trueplay will calibrate for?

Additionally, my in-ceiling speakers are slightly offset and the TV does not sit perfectly between them on the left/right plane. Would that suggest that their use as surrounds may be sub-optimal?

Thanks,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You would only be able to use your in ceiling speakers with the Arc as rear surround channels.  In other words, they need to be located behind the seating area.  The Arc, like any other soundbar, produces the front left-right-center audio channels (plus upfiring atmos channels). You can’t also  have front audio channels coming from ceiling speakers at the front of the room, if that was your intention. 

So the question is moot really, since it’s not a valid setup option for Sonos.  I would say in general though, that if your looking to have an atmos audio setup, all of your inceiling speakers need to playing atmos audio.  That’s pretty much the point of atmos, that you’re hearing audio coming from the ceiling that makes sense to come from the ceiling.  If you’re setting up so that audio that normally comes from in front of you come from the ceiling, well then there’s little point of setting up atmos.

Well maybe it wasn’t clear, but the in-ceilings are behind the seating area. I just wonder how much of a height dimension I’d actually perceive from rear ceiling speakers, really.