Answered

Arc microphone constantly turns off and off by itself

• 15 August 2023
  • 97 replies

Badge

arc microphone constantly turns off and off by itself with alexa and smart lg tv eARC connection.

arc volume control always works with tv. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 December 2023, 12:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

97 replies

I didn’t test SVC, but confirmed that Alexa still works with touch disabled (as long as you disable touch while the mic is still on).  Downside is that this workaround disables touch for the entire room - both Eras and the Arc.

Badge

sent sonos L3 info about workaround. 

still waiting on a reply…

Facing the same issue here with Google assistant.

I have the same problem, but it only started when I down loaded the Alexa app and activated voice control 

Just got my ARC 2 days ago. I am having the same issue even with the Sonos Voice. Might open a ticket as well to get this sort it out. I can't even disable the Mic it's just keep turning on and off. 

Mine was doing the same, can you disable it though the Sonos app ? 

I just removed the voice assistance, it looks like you can't disable the Mic it from the app. Also, try tapping into the Mic button on the bar but it doesn't work. 

This is something Sonos should resolved. I will be opening a ticket soon. 

If you’re still encountering issues with the mic on the Arc, then it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Did you ever figure out this issue? I am experiencing the same thing. I have a Sonos Arc hooked up to an LG C1 TV via HDMI eARC, and am using Alexa as my voice assistant. When audio is coming from the TV, I hear the microphone turning itself on and off. It happens randomly, usually every few minutes though.

Have the same issue, Arc connected to an LG C3 OLED via eARC, tried Alexa, Google Assistant and Sonos Voice Control but the mic switches itself on and off constantly, have spoken to Sonos customer care, diagnostic report sent, the response was, this is very rare, never heard of it before and theyll replace the arc. Very frustrating.

Badge

Same issue here. Arc arrived yesterday. Today started randomly saying Mic on, Mic off.

I called support and he got me to do a diagnostics. Immediately said it showed a problem with the mic, and I had to wait on the phone while he spoke to someone else. Came back to me and confirmed it's a hardware issue with the arc and I would need another replacement as there is no fix possible. Also said that it's a known issue.

So at least we have confirmation from Sonos that there is a known hardware fault with the Arc, maybe a bad batch that is causing this issue.

He said he couldn't say how long a replacement would take, once they collected the faulty unit. This is really bad.

This is my second Arc in a week. First one arrived with a dent on the end cap part of the bar, which looked like a defect in manufacturing, rather than a transit dent, if that makes sense. Returned that unit for a refund.

The Sonos guy also said, hopefully third time lucky. Which isnt what I want when spending thousands on a premium products with Sonos.

Debating whether to return the arc, sub and ones and go elsewhere. Just down to Sonos and their CS response really. What am I supposed to do, keep paying out £900 a time to get faulty products, then sending them back for refunds hopefully within 30 days, in the hope that eventually I get a good one.

Opened a ticket went through the troubleshooting process. However, I noticed that after disconnecting the sub the issue with the mic was not longer happening, as soon as I added the sub back the issue started again. They decided to send me a replacement unit. 

So, for people having the issue can you try removing the sub (if you have it)? 

Badge

Same issue here. Arc arrived yesterday. Today started randomly saying Mic on, Mic off.

I called support and he got me to do a diagnostics. Immediately said it showed a problem with the mic, and I had to wait on the phone while he spoke to someone else. Came back to me and confirmed it's a hardware issue with the arc and I would need another replacement as there is no fix possible. Also said that it's a known issue.

So at least we have confirmation from Sonos that there is a known hardware fault with the Arc, maybe a bad batch that is causing this issue.

He said he couldn't say how long a replacement would take, once they collected the faulty unit. This is really bad.

This is my second Arc in a week. First one arrived with a dent on the end cap part of the bar, which looked like a defect in manufacturing, rather than a transit dent, if that makes sense. Returned that unit for a refund.

The Sonos guy also said, hopefully third time lucky. Which isnt what I want when spending thousands on a premium products with Sonos.

Debating whether to return the arc, sub and ones and go elsewhere. Just down to Sonos and their CS response really. What am I supposed to do, keep paying out £900 a time to get faulty products, then sending them back for refunds hopefully within 30 days, in the hope that eventually I get a good one.

Just to update. Appears definitely a touch control hardware issue, as if I turn off touch controls in the app all is fine. If I enable touch controls it's also fine until I start playing music. I wonder if vibration is causing the switch to be activated. If I remove the assistant obviously the mic is disabled and all is fine.

Having the same issue. Just received my arc this week.

Will try contacting Sonos support to have it replaced, not looking forward to it based on some of your earlier experiences…

I got a Replacement unit from Sonos, 2 days to get it since I opened the ticket so, they did it pretty fast and the most important thing, I am not longer having the issue. 

This happened to me yesterday, but I deleted Sonos Voice Control and set it up again and it’s back to normal. IMO this is a software bug… 

Badge

This happened to me yesterday, but I deleted Sonos Voice Control and set it up again and it’s back to normal. IMO this is a software bug… 

I tried this a few times even using different VAs, no change. Reset Arc and no change. Sonos tech advised me that nothing could be done to fix it at home, so I assumed hardware fault. Could always be software though, or a combination of things I guess.

Sonos are never keen to confirm issues, so doubt they will admit anything :-)

Badge

Update from Sonos in which they seem to suggest they have a massive problem with the Arc. He is saying they are halting the replacement of units:

Hi,

So I reached out to Sonos support today (I’m in Denmark) and while I did not get the levels of information that has been shared here, I was told they’re aware of the issue and the engineers are looking into it.

They were at this point in time still investigating the problem and not willing to replace the unit until they have a better idea of what it is. Which I feel is fair enough, the problem is they couldn't give me a time frame for when they would provide an update. So who knows how long we’re going to have this issue.

One other thing. I you have a ticket created, keep spamming that “send diagnostics” button every time it happens. Apparently it should help prioritize the case. 

MICROPHONE KEEPS TURNING OFF,  issue SOLVED !

My arc kept losing the microphone connection, saying off ,”beep” microphone turns off, Alexa won’t respond, etc. the issue was my internet router was too far away from the Arc speaker. After calling Xfinity to open a port closer to the center channel, boom works right away!  We’re w looking good so far, good luck everyone with microphone drop issues. ☮️

Hi, the workaround seems to be disabling the touch controls in settings. This worked for me anyway…

Not exactly a solution though.:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hogan1 et al

We now recommend that anyone affected by this issue get in touch with our technical support team directly for a resolution. Thank you.