Arc doesn't work with Samsung TV Q95T : If you want Dolby Atmos avoid Samsung Flagship TV's

Userlevel 2

I bought a New Samsung TV and Sonos ARC Soundbar last week: 

Samsung TV Model QE65Q95TATXXU

Software Version : 1115.5

Connected Sonos Arc to the eARC port 3 on the TV and the Arc only delivers any sound when the eARC is switched off (no Sound on Automatic). The Sound output on the TV is only recognising the ARC as connected to HDMI when it should recognise it as connected to the eARC HDMI port. The Dolby ATMOS compatibility button makes no difference when on or off. Pass through setting makes no difference. Dolby Atmos (DD+) is recognised by the SONOS App when playing directly from Netfix App on TV, this means the TV and SONOS ARC are not talking to each other and not recognising the eARC signal (it should say DOLBY Atmos not DOLBY Atmos DD+). Checked all connections and have rebooted both TV and Soundbar with no success

Not ideal when the TV and Sound Bar cost over £3500, I just want it to work and thats what should be delivered by SONOS.

Spoke to SONOS Support (Xander P) and these are the quotes from him:

It does look like there may be some issues arising when the eARC function on the TV is enabled. DD+ is capable of carrying a compressed ATMOS signal, so you should still be able to experience ATMOS from your Arc. In the mean time however there's no fix for this.

I'm not able to give you a solid answer right now unfortunately, however the Arc is known to work with other TVs so my inclination would be that this is a Samsung issue. We are certainly aware of this however and we are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this resolved.

I would expect this to be fixable via a Firmware update, however I can't guarantee this unfortunately.

We are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this issue resolved. Due to the huge number of TV models and manufacturers, issues such as this do sometimes arise - in any case we are looking in to getting it resolved and we are happy to assist any customers which are affected by this issue.

So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's. No firm promise of a fix, not very impressed with SONOS at this point as Samsung could be classed as a major supplier of global premium TV's and you would have thought that SONOS would have ensured their premium soundbar would work with the new Samsung Flagship range, but apparently not.

Suggest SONOS and Samsung get their act together and sort out the issue.

92 replies

Userlevel 1

It’s amazing that when you spare no costs and buy both brands “flagship”/”top of the line” products because you want the best quality of these two brands, that it does not work together…. hell of a way to spend over 4 grand just to be stuck with customer service teams on both sides.

It would appear the Samsung/ Sonos comparability issues relate to geography. I have a new 2020 Samsung Q80t, ARC, Sub Gen 2 and two One SL’s and am using eArc and receiving Atmos sound. I live in Canada and we do not get the One Connect box here. 

That suggests it’s not geography but the presence of the One Connect box, like everyone seems to already suspect. Another very unhappy customer here, unable to get the products working together...

So, its taken over a month to get any formal response to the obvious issue from Sonos. (Samsung still have their heads in the sand). I suppose we should be grateful that its now recognised as a problem but to be honest this should have been sorted out by proper pre launch testing by Sonos especially with major brands such as Samsung.

Just be aware that very recent Samsung TV update (TV is a Q95T 65”  on 1304 Firmware) messed up my Sonos settings again and the ARC was being recognised as a NOW TV app rather than the soundbar! I solved this by replacing the Sonos HDMI cable with a full spec 8K cable which immediately recognised the Arc. Unfortunately the eARC on /off problem still remains.

If this wasn’t such a good product (The Arc and the TV) I would have sent them both back however I can remain patient until a solution is found and I also have a Fury Arcana on order (which will solve all the problems without input from Sonos or Samsung).

I have exactly the same setup and even bought a 8k lead (like yourself) to replace the cheap looking lead supplied by Sonos.

im a novice when it comes to the tech etc, can you tell me what a Fury Arcana does to resolve the issue, if so it could be a route for me to follow.

again like yourself I have invested a lot of money to start changing the TV and Sonos Arc as I still think it’s the best, hopefully the bugs will be sorted and I can sit back and enjoy my purchases.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Raffles001 

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Any questions, just ask. Pre-order finishes soon. Beta testing has been going on a while now and it works well. 

Many thanks for the details, I’ll have a look into it, I guess it’s a work around until Sonos sort out the mess..!

I recently bought a 2020 Samsung Frame and was experiencing the same issues with the Arc (also connected to Apple TV 4K box) but have discovered that powering all devices ON/OFF seems to resolve the issue and I get sound with eARC set to Auto. I have tried to power cycle devices individually but for now can’t find the culprit it only seems to work if I power off everything. If I put the Frame in Art Mode and play music on the Arc and then try to switch back to TV in the Sonos app I lose sound and have to power cycle everything again. Annoying but at least I can use this little workaround(??) when I want to watch Atmos movies and for regular TV viewing I disable eARC on the TV. Wondering if others can try to see if this works the same for them?

Userlevel 1

@Raffles001

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Any questions, just ask. Pre-order finishes soon. Beta testing has been going on a while now and it works well. 

While I appreciate the product you are sharing, it should not be needed for this use case.  Samsung created and marketed these sets with eARC capabilities - it just isn’t working.  The product you share is intended for setups where eARC does not exist. 

Samsung should fix this, not the consumer spending more $ on gear they shouldn’t need.

Userlevel 1

According to this thread on Samsung’s support site, they are working on a fix.  Recommend people chime-in there as well:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

According to this thread on Samsung’s support site, they are working on a fix.  Recommend people chime-in there as well:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Samsung has an updated posted as of today! My TV (Frame 75”) wouldn’t auto download so I manually downloaded and installed on a flash drive. Everything appears to be working as expected eARC auto is turned on and working!!

Samsung has an updated posted as of today! My TV (Frame 75”) wouldn’t auto download so I manually downloaded and installed on a flash drive. Everything appears to be working as expected eARC auto is turned on and working!!

btollenaar, could you please check what is the firmware version you have now on your TV?
My Frame 55” does not have an update on Samsung’s site, just the same v1304 from August.

btollenaar, could you please check what is the firmware version you have now on your TV?
My Frame 55” does not have an update on Samsung’s site, just the same v1304 from August.

It’s listed as 1402 - released on 9/29.

I had to manually download it on to a flash drive and update it from that.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Here's an update for all users using Samsung 2020 QLED (LS03T) Range in the US.
Samsung released a firmware update version 1402.1 that may assist in mitigating the issue.
Currently, the update appears to only be available for US models and via a manual USB update.
Reach out to Samsung for further assistance and hope this helps.
We and the community are always here to help.

The update enables you to turn on EARC but the audio stuttering is now worse. Samsung needs to fix this.

Hi guys. i’m thinking of getting the Q95T and ARC. And i’m wondering does the one connect box supports hdmi 2.1 and hdmi eARC or do i have to connect the cables directly to TV?  

Interestingly this was the exact setup I was going to buy in 2-3 weeks…

Q: Considering there’s no fix (I won’t buy a broken setup), should I consider keeping

• the soundbar or
  • the TV… 

for my setup? Or wait?

As far as I understand, there’s also an eARC problem with the soundbar and LG TVs. So I’m totally confused now. :astonished:

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have to connect my Samsung Q95 T with the Sonos Arc using the optical cable. I am also using Sky Q which doesn’t help. All sorts of lip sync issues which are fine with the optical audio cable but of course defeats getting the Dolby Atmos. I have kept the Sonos Arc on the basis that it’s still slightly better sound than the TV but my plans to buy the additional Sonos system speakers are definitely on hold. Would I recommend anyone to buy a Sonos Arc? No!

I’m puzzled that this issue doesn’t appear to feature in any of the Youtube videos reviews.

Hi, Does anyone see the actual volume level with increasing/decresing volume on the Samsung 95T whilst using the Sonos Arc? I only see Reciever HDMI and the + and - symbols, but no volume level

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, Does anyone see the actual volume level with increasing/decresing volume on the Samsung 95T whilst using the Sonos Arc? I only see Reciever HDMI and the + and - symbols, but no volume level

No, and you won’t. What you see currently is correct, as the TV’s source for sound is the Arc, which is external from the TV, hence it cannot know what level the Arc operates to. 

If you do need to see what “level” you are at, you can open the Sonos app, go the the “living room” or which ever room shows the TV as the source. You can see the volume level on the app when you toggle with the remote

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have to connect my Samsung Q95 T with the Sonos Arc using the optical cable. I am also using Sky Q which doesn’t help. All sorts of lip sync issues which are fine with the optical audio cable but of course defeats getting the Dolby Atmos. I have kept the Sonos Arc on the basis that it’s still slightly better sound than the TV but my plans to buy the additional Sonos system speakers are definitely on hold. Would I recommend anyone to buy a Sonos Arc? No!

I’m puzzled that this issue doesn’t appear to feature in any of the Youtube videos reviews.

What is stopping you from connecting the ARC and the TV with a 2.1HDMI cable?

Even with the e-arc functionality issue, which does actually not limit the Arc’s capability in producing sound, the ARC is capable of great sound imo. Atmos content can still be played (HDMI cable is a requirement tho, optical cannot support Atmos) and the sounds effects are quite amazing. I have the ARC paired with 2 Sonos One’s for surround and the subwoofer - no complaints here about quality of sound at all!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi guys. i’m thinking of getting the Q95T and ARC. And i’m wondering does the one connect box supports hdmi 2.1 and hdmi eARC or do i have to connect the cables directly to TV?  

I have the same exact TV and the ARC. The ARC and one-connect box I have connected with a 2.1HDMI cable as the one-connect has 1 e-arc functional port and 3 “normal” HDMI ports for other devices (PS4, TV box, whatever). Nothing goes directly to the TV except for the “invisible” cable running from the TV to the one-connect. Hope this helps

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used the hdmi cable supplied with the Sonos and even bought a new high quality 2.1 hdmi cable with the same result.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used the hdmi cable supplied with the Sonos and even bought a new high quality 2.1 hdmi cable with the same result.

Do you have sound issues even when the e-arc functionality is turned off? 

Connected Sonos Arc to the eARC port 3 on the TV and the Arc only delivers any sound when the eARC is switched off (no Sound on Automatic). The Sound output on the TV is only recognising the ARC as connected to HDMI when it should recognise it as connected to the eARC HDMI port. The Dolby ATMOS compatibility button makes no difference when on or off. Pass through setting makes no difference. Dolby Atmos (DD+) is recognised by the SONOS App when playing directly from Netfix App on TV, this means the TV and SONOS ARC are not talking to each other and not recognising the eARC signal (it should say DOLBY Atmos not DOLBY Atmos DD+). Checked all connections and have rebooted both TV and Soundbar with no success

Not ideal when the TV and Sound Bar cost over £3500, I just want it to work and thats what should be delivered by SONOS.

It does look like there may be some issues arising when the eARC function on the TV is enabled. DD+ is capable of carrying a compressed ATMOS signal, so you should still be able to experience ATMOS from your Arc. In the mean time however there's no fix for this.

I'm not able to give you a solid answer right now unfortunately, however the Arc is known to work with other TVs so my inclination would be that this is a Samsung issue. We are certainly aware of this however and we are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this resolved.

I would expect this to be fixable via a Firmware update, however I can't guarantee this unfortunately.

We are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this issue resolved. Due to the huge number of TV models and manufacturers, issues such as this do sometimes arise - in any case we are looking in to getting it resolved and we are happy to assist any customers which are affected by this issue.

So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's. No firm promise of a fix, not very impressed with SONOS at this point as Samsung could be classed as a major supplier of global premium TV's and you would have thought that SONOS would have ensured their premium soundbar would work with the new Samsung Flagship range, but apparently not.

Have you resolved this issue? Does this issue happen for tv via sky tv ? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you resolved this issue? Does this issue happen for tv via sky tv ? 

Yes still have the same problem, have to use optical cable and yes it does happen for Sky Q tv with lip sync issues

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update from my side, Samsung released a new auto-update of the firmware and after this update I turned the e-arc to “auto” and for the first time using this setting, there was sound!

I tried a few “Atmos” enabled content on Netflix, and various other sources and everything worked fine without any sync issues. 

So far everything is still working, and I also have not experienced the intermittent audio loss (yet).

Fingers crossed this will stay like this and the problem is solved for good.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am pleased to say that after reading CvH7 helpful comment and downloading the Samsung TV update, I disconnected the optical cable, plugged in the hdmi cable to e-arc and voila it works! No lip sync issues with Sky Q  and sound works well on Netflix etc. Thanks all!