Arc + ATV + Non Atmos Content

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

just received the Arc and so far loving my first Sonos device :relaxed:

I have an Apple TV 4K, LG OLED B9 (eARC support) and now the Sonos Arc.

When I play normal DD-Content on the ATV, the Arc only outputs Stereo. (The TV also says PCM)..

Is there anything I can do besides force the ATV to output DD? Because it would be not so nice to switch between the audio settings if I want to watch Atmos or DD-Content.

Thanks

Michael

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Badge

Let's hope that the Sonos staff is looking in this thread and see this huge issue. It should be an easy fix. Sonos Arc is not worth anything without this fix. It should have been working from day one. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Let's hope that the Sonos staff is looking in this thread and see this huge issue. It should be an easy fix. Sonos Arc is not worth anything without this fix. It should have been working from day one. 

Sonos can’t fix this. Apple should enable recode to Dolby Digital Plus as output or even better, bitstream the audio track.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos can’t fix this. Apple should enable recode to Dolby Digital Plus as output or even better, bitstream the audio track.

I was under the impression that Sonos needs to implement LPCM as a signal and it should all work. I basically don’t care who does it I just want it to work as DMD this should have been known before releasing this product and having people buying New TVs with EARC. 

Badge

It is sonos that needs to fix this, not apple. Sonos could have implemented this before release. They could make this work in a few days IF they wanted to. It is free to use the codec. I have never bought sonos arc if I have known this. It's not very customer friendly to have this issue from day 1. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

LPCM is only interesting if you have EARC. LPCM can’t pass over ARC, therefore it should be Dolby Digital Plus in case of ARC. Which the ATV only outputs for Atmos content. For non Atmos content you have to force the ATV to Dolby Digital but then Atmos doesn’t work. Which is the point the topic starter is trying to make.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Apologies the topic starter was talking about EARC I confused this with another topic. But for the ARC TVs the fix is still on Apples side. EARC should indeed be fine with LPCM.

Badge

LPCM is only interesting if you have EARC. LPCM can’t pass over ARC, therefore it should be Dolby Digital Plus in case of ARC. Which the ATV only outputs for Atmos content. For non Atmos content you have to force the ATV to Dolby Digital but then Atmos doesn’t work. Which is the point the topic starter is trying to make.

The future is earc. And to sell a brand new  product that don't support something af simple as LPCM is not very smart. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Fine but I do have a tv with EARC and again I don’t care if it’s Sonos Apple or lg someone needs to fix it now 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still hope Apple enables (recode) DD+, the streaming services don’t offer higher audio anyway.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Still hope Apple enables (recode) DD+, the streaming services don’t offer higher audio anyway.

Yup agreed, I cannot believe that Sonos and apple didn't work this out, Sonos knew the output from ATV and some of there other set-top boxes why didn't they accept multiple inputs like most other atmos sounders. Its just very disappointing for everyone including those of us with a brand new EARC tv and those who dont. This really should not be this difficult, I know the DTS cost money for licensing but LPCM does not!

Good luck everyone hold tight and dont buy it or in my case sit and wait till its fixed! 

Badge

Sorry sonos. But this is product is not something I would recommend anyone to buy. 

I really regret going all in on this. Bought a new TV with Atmos and earc so it would be the be the perfect setup. And this is what I get. 

Have 8 sonos product in my house. So this is very disappointing. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sorry sonos. But this is product is not something I would recommend anyone to buy. 

I really regret going all in on this. Bought a new TV with Atmos and earc so it would be the be the perfect setup. And this is what I get. 

Have 8 sonos product in my house. So this is very disappointing. 

It would be nice is Sonos we’re actually reading any of this. !!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I have two Arcs and I use Apple TV’s on both TVs. My Arcs will be going back with no update on this soon. 

Badge

I have two Arcs and I use Apple TV’s on both TVs. My Arcs will be going back with no update on this soon. 

I give it 14 days, this is an easy fix, i cant take Them Long to implement this. There are a lot of People on waiting list for Arc. And When they recieve this unfinished product, there gonna be a lot angry customers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

You cannot state it’s unfinished. The NVIDIA Shield can bitstream so there the Arc works exactly as expected. Most Bluray players can. Most consoles can. Every recent TV streaming app works as expected. It’s only the combination with ATV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You cannot state it’s unfinished. The NVIDIA Shield can bitstream so there the Arc works exactly as expected. Most Bluray players can. Most consoles can. Every recent TV streaming app works as expected. It’s only the combination with ATV.

The Lg tv app for Netflix and amazon prime stream atmos but it doesn’t support atmos with appletv+ yet. They say they will update it eventually so at the moment all of my atmos movies on Apple will not work unless I turn off atmos And stream it in 5.1 or just use the lg app on the tv and then I also get 5.1. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

That sucks. I’m also stuck with my ATV and how Apple wants to do this. At least I get Atmos over DD+ via ARC to the Arc :)

Badge

Sonos stated 14 days ago (found in another Thread) that an LPCM update is on the way. Soon. They know it's a huge issue and just on them to fix. 

Hello,

just received the Arc and so far loving my first Sonos device :relaxed:

I have an Apple TV 4K, LG OLED B9 (eARC support) and now the Sonos Arc.

When I play normal DD-Content on the ATV, the Arc only outputs Stereo. (The TV also says PCM)..

Is there anything I can do besides force the ATV to output DD? Because it would be not so nice to switch between the audio settings if I want to watch Atmos or DD-Content.

Thanks

Michael

We without earc can use HDfyry new device Arcana, make it happen sign up.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/3153792-hdfury-arcana-earc-adapter-sonos-arc-bose-700-soundbars-4.html#/topics/3153792?page=1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Arcana officially starts production!  You can pre-order here: https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FYI: Arcana allows you to pass full Atmos to Sonos Arc while passthrough full video (up to 18gbps) to non-eARC TV.

Hi all, I have the following setup:
Sonos Arc + Sub + rear speakers (Sonos 5, 2nd gen.) and LG 65 C9 with updated firmware.
Using ATV 4K exclusively for all content.
Other relevant settings:  LG C9:    eARC on, digital sound out:  Passthrough.

I just want to share my findings. Probably consistent with the results other people got in this thread.
ATV: Auto, ATMOS enabled.
Atmos content (Netflix etc.): Works fine. 
Non-atmos content (marked as 5.1 in Netflix): I get surround sound but no voice! (anyone else get this?)

ATV: Dolby Digital 5.1.   (Atmos disabled)
Atmos content: Obviously no Atmos sound. Probably DD 5.1 but sounds fine.
Non-atmos content: Works fine and playing as Dolby Digital 5.1 (verified in Sonos app)

Is this what people are experiencing?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi all, I have the following setup:
Sonos Arc + Sub + rear speakers (Sonos 5, 2nd gen.) and LG 65 C9 with updated firmware.
Using ATV 4K exclusively for all content.
Other relevant settings:  LG C9:    eARC on, digital sound out:  Passthrough.

I just want to share my findings. Probably consistent with the results other people got in this thread.
ATV: Auto, ATMOS enabled.
Atmos content (Netflix etc.): Works fine. 
Non-atmos content (marked as 5.1 in Netflix): I get surround sound but no voice! (anyone else get this?)

ATV: Dolby Digital 5.1.   (Atmos disabled)
Atmos content: Obviously no Atmos sound. Probably DD 5.1 but sounds fine.
Non-atmos content: Works fine and playing as Dolby Digital 5.1 (verified in Sonos app)

Is this what people are experiencing?

Yes - exactly that. No centre channel on 5.1 (non-Atmos) content when Atmos is enabled on the ATV.

I presume this will be fixed by the LPCM update on the Arc? (when it eventually arrives!)

Userlevel 2

I was under the impression that Sonos needs to implement LPCM as a signal and it should all work. I basically don’t care who does it I just want it to work as DMD this should have been known before releasing this product and having people buying New TVs with EARC. 

Exactly! I don’t know why some try to defend every mistake Sonos made releasing this product

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

Still no new on the LPCM side from Sonos Arc?

I’m assuming this has all been fixed by the update of a couple weeks ago? Awaiting my Arc that I ordered last week...