Question

arc atmos compress?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

my tv is from 2019 and for the moment i don't want to change it has hdmi arc support for dd + is available, will i be able to have even compressed atmos ?? Tanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Based on everything I’ve read the answer is: it depends.

if your TV can output Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI ARC it SHOULD be able to pass Dolby Atmos. HOWEVER, it also depends on what you’re using as your source. Your built in smart tv apps? Probably. An Apple TV 4K? Maybe, depending on the TV because of the way Apple handles Atmos. A Blu-ray player? I don’t think so since it outputs Atmos over TrueHD which HDMI-ARC doesn’t support (requires eARC). 

Wish I could be more definitive but this is what I’ve discovered trying to find out myself if my setup will work with Sonos Arc. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

if your TV can output Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI ARC it SHOULD be able to pass Dolby Atmos. HOWEVER, it also depends on what you’re using as your source. Your built in smart tv apps? Probably. An Apple TV 4K? Maybe, depending on the TV because of the way Apple handles Atmos. A Blu-ray player? I don’t think so since it outputs Atmos over TrueHD which HDMI-ARC doesn’t support (requires eARC). 

Wish I could be more definitive but this is what I’ve discovered trying to find out myself if my setup will work with Sonos Arc. 

thanks for the reply, the app is integrated into the lg netflix tv, prime, disney +

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

What’s the model number of the TV?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

https://www.lg.com/it/tv/lg-43UM7390PLC-tv-led

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

https://www.lg.com/it/tv/lg-43UM7390PLC-tv-led

Unfortunately, I can’t immediately tell with a quick Google. It definitely doesn’t support eARC (which sucks, sorry - again many of us are in the same boat), so you’re out of luck there. Unfortunately, I also don’t see any mention of it being able to support Dolby Digital Plus (which is what you’ll need to be able to pass Atmos over a compressed signal). But, that also doesn’t mean that it doesn’t, either. 

So, again, I’m not sure. If you’ve got the ability to buy a Sonos Arc and try it to see that may be your best bet unless someone else out there in the community has better info. Otherwise, you may want to wait until someone else with your model TV tries and reports their findings. 

Again, I’m sorry I’m not able to be more definitive, but I do wish you the best of luck. I’ve pre-ordered one to try myself and I’m hoping against hope that it will work. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had the Samsung q90r tv and the soundbar and they both didn’t have eARC at the time but when playing a 4K blu ray on my Xbox I was able to get Atmos … don’t know how?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I had the Samsung q90r tv and the soundbar and they both didn’t have eARC at the time but when playing a 4K blu ray on my Xbox I was able to get Atmos … don’t know how?

Assuming that the Xbox is connected to the TV (and then to the soundbar via HDMI-ARC) rather than to the soundbar directly, I’m guessing that your TV is taking whatever the Xbox is giving it (uncompressed Dolby TrueHD + Atmos?), converting that to compressed Dolby Digital Plus (with Atmos) then passing that to the soundbar and that’s how you’re getting Atmos. Again, just a guess. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Assuming that the Xbox is connected to the TV (and then to the soundbar via HDMI-ARC) rather than to the soundbar directly, I’m guessing that your TV is taking whatever the Xbox is giving it (uncompressed Dolby TrueHD + Atmos?), converting that to compressed Dolby Digital Plus (with Atmos) then passing that to the soundbar and that’s how you’re getting Atmos. Again, just a guess. 

thanks for the answer, as you can see in the picture my TV supports the dd +, the app is integrated, the arch is neat wait for it to arrive and see if ATMOS will come out also compressed I am very happy

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Photo

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

That’s awesome, serravalc. I really hope it works for you. Please make sure to come back and let us know if you get full Atmos sound!