Answered

Apple TV Gen 4 and LG OLED

• 1 July 2019
  • 4 replies

I am sure its not meant to work this way but my issue is that my TV has to be turned on for my system to work.

Optical Out from TV to Sonos Play bar
HDMI Out from Apple TV to TV HDMI1

Airplay music from iPhone to Apple TV and TV needs to be turned on for Sound Bar to function.
Really???

Thanks in advance if anyone out there sees my mistake and can suggest a solution where I dont have to turn my TV on.

Thanks
DG
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 July 2019, 19:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Remove the optical cable from your TV, and connect it directly to the AppleTV?

Basically, your TV won't send any data out through the optical port while the power is off.

Conversely, you could replace your PLAYBAR with a Beam, which has much newer tech in it, including the ability to be an AIrPlay 2 target, which the PLAYBAR doesn't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The Playbar doesn’t support AirPlay but you should be able to stream to it from other sources without involving the TV. I’m sure the Playbar, like other Sonos speakers, are “always On”.
He's using AirPlay 2 to reach the Apple TV. In order for any signal from the Apple TV to reach the PLAYBAR, it's routed through the TV, so the TV must be on, otherwise the optical connection is not energized from the TV side.

If it wasn't AirPlay 2, yes, he could stream all of the music sources that Sonos provides without turning on the TV, but the question was about AirPlay 2.
Thanks for the help. I was trying to avoid using the sonos ecosystem to stream. I am now fully aware of the limitations that this bar does not support AirPlay.

Thanks!
DG