Answered

Apple TV 4K remote volume function not working

• 22 March 2020
  • 6 replies

I recently bought the 4K Apple TV and the remote volume function is not working, it says ‘not available’ every time I use it no matter what application I’m in. All the other buttons seem to function correctly. What could be wrong?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 March 2020, 09:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If it’s cabled to the TV, then perhaps the ATV or TV has HDMI-CEC switched off.. it’s not clear though whether you are using a Sonos Beam, Playbar, Amp etc?

If you are using the Playbar, as another example, then ensure you have setup your chosen remote to control the volume in ‘Settings/System/[PlayBar Room Name]/Remote Control Setup’ in the Sonos App.

Userlevel 2

I have an AppleTV with new Sonos Ones and have problems with remote. Sometimes it works great, then the volume control will switch to tv on its own. Of course, then I have to go back to sound settings to redirect to Sonos, which always has to end done several times.  Help?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wjp.

Thanks for reaching out.

I agree with the suggestion of @Ken_Griffiths, on setting up the remote to Sonos.

You may also check this article about how to Use an Apple TV  remote with home theater speakers, it will guide you on steps to program the Apple TV remote to control the speaker manually.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

These instructions don’t seem to be update.  The “Remote Control SetUp” menu no longer exists in the iOS app.

I'm having similar issue, apple remote works fine for volume up but works sporadically for volume down with playbar, Apple TV 4K Remote

@jkjkjk

The Apple TV remote app is part of iOS 14’s Control Center function. 

If you swipe down on the upper right side of an iPhone or iPad, you can see it there. If you don’t see the remote icon, you can add it to the Control Center via Settings.

Here are a couple of links to iPhone screenshots to help visualize it:

Settings > Control Center:

https://p140.p3.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/L1uB68j9/043b2eac-31b0-46e8-b4eb-e5c5e83606ac.png?v=a51750c5de5a8e8ecf897485f8c136de

After adding Apple TV Remote to Control Center, swipe down from the upper right of the iPhone to see:

https://p140.p3.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/P8u9ND4r/f1aa23f9-dec2-4dcd-a28e-7d688fd7bc16.png?v=a1ed26062946d62d3cf8b4877668d277

//swh