Anything I can do for how bad my system sounds at the moment?

• 4 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Sonos Arc, Play 1 surrounds, gen 1 sub, I haven’t really ‘pushed’ my system for a while, but have noticed sound issues in recent shows and movies that do not feel right - turns out my once sounding amazing home theater system is now absolutely horrific - I tested with 6 Underground on netflix which was once my ‘showcase’ movie for what the Arc and Sonos can do, and there’s such a substantial difference, I’m wondering if there is a way I can get anywhere close to what it was before, whether Sonos has acknowledged the issues and working on a fix, or whether it’s time to pack up shop? Everything from the immersion, explosions, dialog, I can’t even explain it, sounds like a cheap Bluetooth speaker. I have tried with Truplay on and off, I saw recently the recommendations now is OFF, although the software keeps tasking me to re-tune.

Honestly the fact that I have to take the time to write something like this severely agitates me, I’ve been a Sonos user for years with over 10 speakers, but cannot tolerate such blatant incompetence from a company.

Any suggestions on what I can do now other than wait or sell?

Thank you,

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Welcome to the club….

You can either switch Trueplay off and try to tune the system yourself for the time it will take for Sonos to get a solution out. Many users (including me) are frustrated by the fact that this is taking too long now. 
I did run Trueplay and decided to turn the sublevel all the way up between +11 and +15. The result is not compared to pre-14.12, but the mid-bass are more punchy (with the lack of low-bass) and I can still enjoy the wider soundstage including the improved clarity of the vocals (at least for me that’s the best choice for now).

There are a lot of topics out there with the discussion about this bug. Also Peter Pee has spend a tremendous amount of time to make some video’s to help us all out to get the best out of the system while we wait for a fix from Sonos.

Here is his latest video, just came online a few hours ago:

His effort into this issue is incredible helpful in my opinion. I bet if the engineers from Sonos where as motivated as he is, the whole freaking problem was solved weeks ago. Unfortunately we depend on the knowledge from Sonos, which is (in my opinion) far below level. Otherwise they haven’t screwed this up by releasing 14.12 in the first place. The least they can do is work even more harder on a fix, but as far as I know it’s now their priority #1, so vingers crossed 🤞

Userlevel 1

Welcome to the club….

You can either switch Trueplay off and try to tune the system yourself for the time it will take for Sonos to get a solution out. Many users (including me) are frustrated by the fact that this is taking too long now. 
I did run Trueplay and decided to turn the sublevel all the way up between +11 and +15. The result is not compared to pre-14.12, but the mid-bass are more punchy (with the lack of low-bass) and I can still enjoy the wider soundstage including the improved clarity of the vocals (at least for me that’s the best choice for now).

There are a lot of topics out there with the discussion about this bug. Also Peter Pee has spend a tremendous amount of time to make some video’s to help us all out to get the best out of the system while we wait for a fix from Sonos.

His effort into this issue is incredible helpful in my opinion. I bet if the engineers from Sonos where as motivated as he is, the whole freaking problem was solved weeks ago. Unfortunately we depend on the knowledge from Sonos, which is (in my opinion) far below level. Otherwise they haven’t screwed this up by releasing 14.12 in the first place. The least they can do is work even more harder on a fix, but as far as I know it’s now their priority #1, so vingers crossed 🤞

Appreciate the response..what an absolute disaster - +15 on my sub did help with the bass but everything else sounds terrible, really hope they can give us an update soon.

Userlevel 7

Welcome to the club….

Appreciate the response..what an absolute disaster - +15 on my sub did help with the bass but everything else sounds terrible, really hope they can give us an update soon.

Disable Trueplay and the bass will return on the Sub.

Userlevel 1

Welcome to the club….

Disable Trueplay and the bass will return on the Sub.

I have Trueplay off at the moment, sounds like people are using Trueplay but turning the bass up, I may give that a go.

Bit confused about difference between the base setting in the Sound system EQ and the sub setting. What does the base setting in EQ do?

Sonos arc

Sub x 2

Sonos one SL x 2

EQ deals with a broader frequency range. The SUB control is specific to the SUB output. There is some overlap. The “best” set of adjustment is the one that you like.

SUB’s placement in the room effects its output. For example, placing SUB in a corner on the floor results in very aggressive output from SUB.  Bass freaks love this arrangement, other people not so much.  If a corner SUB is too aggressive, the SUB control is very helpful.

I know a fellow who has his sub in a corner with Bass, Treble, and SUB controls at max. He loves it, I think that it is grotesque. We are both right. I’m glad that I don’t live there.

EQ deals with a broader frequency range. The SUB control is specific to the SUB output. There is some overlap. The “best” set of adjustment is the one that you like.

SUB’s placement in the room effects its output. For example, placing SUB in a corner on the floor results in very aggressive output from SUB.  Bass freaks love this arrangement, other people not so much.  If a corner SUB is too aggressive, the SUB control is very helpful.

I know a fellow who has his sub in a corner with Bass, Treble, and SUB controls at max. He loves it, I think that it is grotesque. We are both right. I’m glad that I don’t live there.

Thanks for that buzz

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My Subs are in corners, on the floor and I bump them up a couple notches when I’m listening to organ music.

Back to zero for most other music or after unwanted spousal input. :-(