Answered

Amazon audio playback from amazon prime video is absolutely terrible. Loud background noise and you can not hear what the actors are saying.

• 7 January 2019
  • 11 replies

I have a playbar, sub and x2 play ones. I stream as well as have directv. I wish i would have done more research before biting off the expense of sonos. I could have bought a system designed specifically for surround sound. Sonos is designed for music but just happens to function, terribly, as a surround sound system. That being said Im looking for some help with settings or something. Audio play back is fine for everything but Amazon video. The background noise is far too lpud and you cant hear what any of the actors are saying..... any advice other than sell my complete sonos system for pennies on the dollar and invest in an actual surrpund spund system?
icon

Best answer by iwb100 7 January 2019, 11:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Open up the controller app when you're getting this background noise on Amazon Prime Video, and go to Settings, and select "About My Sonos System" What does it say underneath the PLAYBAR, on the line that say "Audio In"?

Then I'd recommend that you immediately submit a system diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
It says "stereo".
Diagnostic submitted.
Confirmation number is: 1234932754
Interesting. That's not what it should be, but then again, that shouldn't cause any significant issue, either.

What are you playing this Amazon video on, is it part of the TV's system, or are you sending it from some other streaming device? You should be checking the audio settings on whatever device that the Amazon app is on, to make sure it's set up for Dolby Digital (and make sure you're watching a show that is in Dolby Digital, not all are...pick a movie, just as a test case).

The Sonos staff that works the forums should be reading here on Monday morning. Hopefully they'll be able to get you a read on any issues exposed by that diagnostic. Rather than waiting here, though, you may want to try calling in, as being on the phone with them gives them a few extra tools to work with on looking at your system.
Amazon is being played through the app on the tv. Tv sound is muted. All sound comes from sonos. Netflix, hulu and directv do not have this issue. Musuc and background noise in scenes are way too loud and drown out any talking going on in the scene. Adding play 1s to make it true "surround sound" is a joke as well. All they pickup and play at normal volume is music in a scene, no words spoken. Pain in the ass. Had to set them up as a seperate room and then pair them in the same room everytime i want to use them as part of the surround sound so that they will play at full volume. That and i have the android app. Hey sonos, why dont you stop being so close minded and make all of the features available for the android app the same as the junkie apple one??????
So, we need to figure out why the Amazon app isn't sending a Dolby Digital signal through your TV out to the Sonos.

Do you want help, or are you just interested in yelling at Sonos?
Ehhh. If you xan help, that would be great. You said sonos will check it in the morning. Just getting all of my issues out in my thread....
So, take a look at any settings that may be in the Amazon App on your TV. Look for something that specifies what kind of audio signal it might be sending. It might help Sonos help you if you were to post what kind of TV (make and model number) here, they may have a handy list of things to try based on that data, which wouldn't be included in the diagnostic you submitted.

If there's no audio settings in the Amazon app (and I truly don't know...I stream Amazon Prime Video through my Apple TV), then take a look at the audio settings for the TV itself, and make sure that it's set to send a Dolby Digital (not PCM) signal through to the optical output. There are some TVs that won't allow you to choose Dolby Digital if the show that you're currently watching doesn't have one, so make sure that you've got a recent movie playing while you're looking at those settings.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I've had similar issues with TV apps on my LG OLED - they pass Dolby Digital but the sound stage is clearly wrong with background explosions hurting my ears yet voices or centre sounds being so quiet I literally cannot hear them.

The TV is the issue (or the apps/software) as the exact same content when played through the app on my Xbox or Chromecast sounds absolutely fine.

What TV do you have?
I have a new OLED LG. All apps are up to date.
Not an expert on LG, but your issue continues to be the fact that the TV is sending stereo to your soundbar. You should be getting Dolby Digital sent. That's why I suggested you check your audio settings.

You might be able to resolve this more quickly if you were to contact Sonos to discuss it. They're much more likely to be familiar with different types of TVs.