Answered

Adding surrounds to Beam 2 effect atmos?

• 12 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Pretty new to the surround world. Been a Sound Engineer for 25 years so I focused on getting the best stereo sound I could.

Just ordered a new Beam Gen 2 and have a couple of older Play:1 speakers. I planned on just keeping the Play:1 as multi room speakers, but I’m curious about adding them as surrounds.

If I add them as surrounds, does this affect the Atmos playback in the Beam? As in, does it then try to play all surround content as 5.0 or will it play the Atmos content through the Beam while adding some rear info into the surrounds?

Or are the surrounds ignored when playing Atmos content?

Having trouble finding this information. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 12 October 2022, 09:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it Atmos adds hight channels to a surround sound mix. Since the Play 1's do not do Atmos (no upfiring speakers) Atmos is left to the Beam. So when playing Atmos content the rear Play 1’s will provide the rear channels (applauding audiences, birds in a park, far off explosions, air planes leaving) and the Beam will provide front and hight channels.

Since you already have all the speakers for this, why not just try and see if you like it.

Badge

Since you already have all the speakers for this, why not just try and see if you like it.

At the time I was still waiting for my Beam Gen 2 to arrive. I have it set up now and generally don’t hear any vertical information. I’ve used Atmos test videos and confirmed that I am in Atmos mode.

Badge

@Post78,

Isn’t there a height channel adjustment in the Beams room settings? If so, perhaps try increasing its volume. I have increased it on my Sonos Arc to +4 and I notice the height channel audio on that HT speaker. 

edit: Ah yes - see this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5041

Badge

@Post78,

Isn’t there a height channel adjustment in the Beams room settings? If so, perhaps try increasing its volume. I have increased it on my Sonos Arc to +4 and I notice the height channel audio on that HT speaker. 

edit: Ah yes - see this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5041

Thanks Ken. Yes there is the option but I don’t hear any difference. Either the Beam isn’t doing a good job with vertical integration, or the surrounds might be messing with it. Maybe I’ll try disconnecting the Ones from the surround.