Answered

Add additional front stereo speakers to 5.1

• 15 October 2018
  • 11 replies

Hey guys,

I've had a 5.1system with sound bar now for a few years and not pressed with the sound bar for music. Any reason I can't create another room and add two more play1’s to the front in stereo mode? Assuming it won't work for HT but at least I'll get fuller sound from the front with music.

Thx
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 15 October 2018, 07:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That will work and get you a better stereo image. When playing music you can also switch the surround system to "full" mode to get stereo from your rear speakers as well.
Awesome, thx!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
assuming you mean you have a playbar.

The Play:1s may have a slight delay though being grouped vs. the direct optical input and no delay in playbar.
Sorry, yes, playbar but I would be grouping for music so hopefully no delay. Thx
There would still be around a 70ms delay, due to the way Sonos deals with syncing across multiple speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Paired speakers in sync - but grouping it is going to cause the others to be 70ms delay creating stadium effect.
Note that we're only talking about the "grouped" rooms. The 5.1 room would be in sync. It's any additional rooms that would have to pay the penalty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Let me make sure I understand this, if the Playbar and paired surrounds are grouped with another paired set of speakers in the same location there will be a delay in the sound from one set when playing music from the library or streaming?

I understand the delay in TV mode but when streaming music?
I'm with you Stanley. I'm not aware of any delay between grouped rooms when playing from a music source. Though technically not the same physical room, I've never heard any echo effect for music between my bedroom and the bathroom right off the bedroom.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your streaming music via Sonos no there won't be a delay they will be in perfect sync. But if watching playbar via optical port TV then it will have no delay where as the added speakers will have the 70ms delay (grouped to the playbar).

Sorry if I implied that Sonos music would not be in sync between the 2 grouped speakers. So yes in the case of the original poster if he just used it for music then yes. But as said before - is he in full mode where the rears are putting out full sound??
I'm 100% behind Chris on this one.

One of the issues that gets slippery is we (and I guess I mean I) tend to use music versus TV, and some people might consider YouTube on the TV to be music.