Question

5.1 Speaker positioning with corner sofa

• 5 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi Everyone

I am looking to get the best out of my 5.1 sonos set up.  I understand that the layout of my room is not ideal with a corner sofa

See below sketch of my current plan. I have two Play 1’s sitting on Flexon stands behind the sofa and the Sub is sat on the floor next to the tv unit.

Please could you help with some speaker placement suggestions on how to to get the best out of what i have?  Even if the answer is that i am better off with just a play bar and to remove the surrounds / sub.  

Also, in the current position of the Play 1’s should they be angled in slightly towards the Main seating position? Or face straight forward?

Thank you!

50 inch TV

PLAYBAR

SUB

2X PLAY 1’s

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

My room layout is pretty similar to yours. I have a Playbase, Sub and 2 x Ones. 

I have the Ones placed a bit like yours although I would say my right surround speaker is placed where you show the table on the top right hand side of the drawing. I am guessing the door is usually closed so it wouldn’t block the sound from the speaker if you placed it there?

I would also try moving the left surround into the bottom right corner of your drawing and see what it sounds like there.

I have both my surrounds pointing at 45 degrees.

Try setting them up using Trueplay if you haven’t already as that should also help to compensate for the positioning.

If you find the sound from the surrounds is too powerful during 5.1 movie playback, you can always adjust them down using the “Surround Audio” setting. I have done this for my surrounds, because like your setup, my seating is pretty much in a straight line between the two surround speakers.

The benefit of Sonos is you can try almost any positioning you want, At least within the electrical plug’s range,  and see what sounds best for you. I’m always cautious in these situations, because my ears and expectations aren’t necessarily the same as the poster’s. 

My room layout is pretty similar to yours. I have a Playbase, Sub and 2 x Ones. 

I have the Ones placed a bit like yours although I would say my right surround speaker is placed where you show the table on the top right hand side of the drawing. I am guessing the door is usually closed so it wouldn’t block the sound from the speaker if you placed it there?

I would also try moving the left surround into the bottom right corner of your drawing and see what it sounds like there.

I have both my surrounds pointing at 45 degrees.

Try setting them up using Trueplay if you haven’t already as that should also help to compensate for the positioning.

If you find the sound from the surrounds is too powerful during 5.1 movie playback, you can always adjust them down using the “Surround Audio” setting. I have done this for my surrounds, because like your setup, my seating is pretty much in a straight line between the two surround speakers.

interesting thanks, i havent thought about putting a Play 1 on the cabinet, there's a socket there so i'll give it a go.  Yes, that door is always shut.

Like everyone says i suppose, the good thing about sonos as you can try them in different areas to see what sounds best.  

Thanks for your input :)