Question

Sonos ACE wear detection

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wear detection is not working on my Headphones. Wear detection is turned on in the app. If i take the headphones off. Sound carry's on playing.

26 replies

Userlevel 7

Try rebooting the Ace by following these steps:

1. Disconnect Sonos Ace from any USB-C cable connections.
  2. On the left ear cup, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for about 3 seconds. Sonos Ace will play a power-off tone and the status light will turn off.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for about 3 seconds to turn Sonos Ace back on.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you...Tried that a few times and no difference

Badge

Same here. Playing via Spotify if that helps.

Mine is exactly the same - not working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bezzer 

Thanks for your post!

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your new Aces headphones!

Just to be sure, could you please try removing both cushions from the cups, then put them back? This can help with the wear detection issue you describe. The cushions are held on by magnetic force - just pull them to remove them.

I hope this helps.

Mine still not working. Have tried all the solutions above. Also, the aware/noise cancellation button isn’t very responsive. Sometimes takes a few presses before it acknowledges the change

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @TonyDuck77 

I’m sorry to hear that! I can only now recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for further assistance.

Mine still not working either 

Tried above solutions, unfortunately no luck. Worked at first. Not working anymore. 1 day old 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Bezzer 

Thanks for your post!

Just to be sure, could you please try removing both cushions from the cups, then put them back? This can help with the wear detection issue you describe. The cushions are held on by magnetic force - just pull them to remove them.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

fortunately this worked for me. However the Noise control doesn’t. Active is on. When i press the button for ambient i get the tone but nothing changes. i can even see it changing from active to ambient in the app

Cheers

Nik

Hi @Bezzer 

Thanks for your post!

I hope this helps.

This worked on mine   Wear detection now works perfectly. Thank you 😊👍🏻

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Corry P 
I have the same issue with wear detection not working.
I have checked the setting in the app, I have powered off/on, I have removed and put back the cushions.
Any other suggestions?
On a non-related issue, the Sonos Ace is not appearing against my account on Sonos.com. All of my other speakers are listed but not the Ace. Is there anything I (or you) can to rectify this.
Ross.

I tried Corry’s suggestion again. This time it worked and the headphones pause and restart as they should. They stopped working again when someone sent me an instagram reel. I closed every app and opened only my music app and it started working again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rosswells127 

If anyone has tried both @GuitarSuperstar’s suggestion:

Try rebooting the Ace by following these steps:

1. Disconnect Sonos Ace from any USB-C cable connections.
  2. On the left ear cup, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for about 3 seconds. Sonos Ace will play a power-off tone and the status light will turn off.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for about 3 seconds to turn Sonos Ace back on.

and my own:

Hi @Bezzer 

Thanks for your post!

I hope this helps.

and still have issues, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Finally someone on the internet with the same problem. I’ve been searching for it for days now.

Anyway, same problem for me… Wear detection is not working.

It only works whenever I put the cushions completely off and wear the headphone without. But when I’m putting the cushions back on, it stops working again..

Sporadically it works with the cushions on.

But how does this detection work? I get the feeling that the wear detection is not able to ‘detect’ my ears in the cushions correct and because of that can not detect wether I’m wearing the headphones or not. Maybe I have weird ears?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Idsart 

Ace uses InfraRed sensors to detect when they are being worn, so unless you have particularly cold ears, yours should be detected!

I’ve found some more documentation on the matter, that includes the following:

Step 1 - Confirm Ace is up to date

1. Check for Updates (Settings icon » Manages » System Updates » Check for updates) to confirm that Ace is fully up to date.

Step 2 - Reboot Ace

1. Power down Ace by pressing the power button for around three seconds. Power Ace back up again by holding the button again.

Step 3 - Check and Clean the IR sensors

1. Remove the magnetic ear cushions by simply pulling them away.
  2. Clean the mesh cover with a rag dampened with light dish soap solution. Take care to not get any moisture inside the IR sensor itself.
  3. Place the ear cushion back onto the appropriate side. Magnets will fasten the cushions back into place. Confirm the ear cushions are positioned correctly by verifying the mesh hole aligns with the IR sensor.

Step 4 - Confirm the IR sensors are unobstructed

1. This can occur if you are wearing Ace over a hood, or if your hair may be underneath the ear cushions.
  1. Ensure that nothing is obstructing the IR sensors within the ear cushions.

Step 5 - Confirm Wear Detection settings

1. Navigate to

settings@2x.png

Settings > Headphones, and select Sonos Ace.
  2. Under Hardware Controls, select Wear Detection.
  3. Ensure Wear Detection is turned on, and Play/Pause is enabled.

Step 6 - Force Reboot/Reset Ace

1. Force reboot Ace by holding the power button for ten seconds.
  2. If the issue persists, Factory reset Ace then test Wear Detection after setting the product up again.

I doubt you will need to clean the mesh after only a few days.

Please call in to our technical support team if these steps do not work.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Idsart 

Ace uses InfraRed sensors to detect when they are being worn, so unless you have particularly cold ears, yours should be detected!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Idsart 

I’ve found some more documentation on the matter, that includes the following:

Step 1 - Confirm Ace is up to date

1. Check for Updates (Settings icon » Manages » System Updates » Check for updates) to confirm that Ace is fully up to date.

Step 2 - Reboot Ace

1. Power down Ace by pressing the power button for around three seconds. Power Ace back up again by holding the button again.

Step 3 - Check and Clean the IR sensors

1. Remove the magnetic ear cushions by simply pulling them away.
  2. Clean the mesh cover with a rag dampened with light dish soap solution. Take care to not get any moisture inside the IR sensor itself.
  3. Place the ear cushion back onto the appropriate side. Magnets will fasten the cushions back into place. Confirm the ear cushions are positioned correctly by verifying the mesh hole aligns with the IR sensor.

Step 4 - Confirm the IR sensors are unobstructed

1. This can occur if you are wearing Ace over a hood, or if your hair may be underneath the ear cushions.
  1. Ensure that nothing is obstructing the IR sensors within the ear cushions.

Step 5 - Confirm Wear Detection settings

1. Navigate to

settings@2x.png

Settings > Headphones, and select Sonos Ace.
  2. Under Hardware Controls, select Wear Detection.
  3. Ensure Wear Detection is turned on, and Play/Pause is enabled.

Step 6 - Force Reboot/Reset Ace

1. Force reboot Ace by holding the power button for ten seconds.
  2. If the issue persists, Factory reset Ace then test Wear Detection after setting the product up again.

I doubt you will need to clean the mesh after only a few days.

Please call in to our technical support team if these steps do not work.

I hope this helps.

Corry

Will Sonos make the Ace software update release notes available?

Same thing here, amongst other issues.

Updated the software and still no luck.

Problem persists for me after all the usual fix attempts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Andre17 & @Prof 

If playback does not stop when you remove the headphones while a Bluetooth source is playing, and if you’ve tried the steps above without result, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

No success, even after trying all steps above. Please let me know if anyone got successful help from the technical team.

No luck. Returning the Sonos Ace for refund 

Wear detection is not working on my Headphones. Wear detection is turned on in the app. If i take the headphones off. Sound carry's on playing.

Just you have to clean the sensor on ear cups, because it's hot inside and it's making sweat

About weat detection, just you have to clean de sensor because they are covered with sweat😅