Question

Sonos Ace - TV Swap mini dropouts/distortians

Badge

Aloha to everyone, 

Short version: I'm still very happy with the Sonos Ace. Sound is good to very good, very comfortable, finally physical buttons again, for me as a “children in the house” person with a small apartment, the TV Swap feature is a revelation (for movies/series and - in reviews never mentioned - gaming). Killer feature!

BUT: in TV Swap I keep experiencing slight mini dropouts in the sound or distortions (it feels like every 30-60 seconds). Can anyone confirm this? Could these be hardware problems, or will they be eliminated via updates? 

11 replies

I am experiencing the same. The TV audio swap is very hit and miss. Sometimes it will work well, other times I will switch and all I’ll get is static and I have to disconnect and reconnect with my arc to have it functioning correctly. Other times it will have mini audio drops outs randomly/intermittent static. It seems very buggy in its current state. Hopefully it is a software problem and not a hardware problem.

Badge

Thanks for the confirmation! So this seems to be a general issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Aloha to everyone, 

Short version: I'm still very happy with the Sonos Ace. Sound is good to very good, very comfortable, finally physical buttons again, for me as a “children in the house” person with a small apartment, the TV Swap feature is a revelation (for movies/series and - in reviews never mentioned - gaming). Killer feature!

BUT: in TV Swap I keep experiencing slight mini dropouts in the sound or distortions (it feels like every 30-60 seconds). Can anyone confirm this? Could these be hardware problems, or will they be eliminated via updates? 

I would say I get them less frequently, but they are there. Is it like a millisecond for you? Like just barely noticeable, but still evident?

That is what I’m getting. It happens very quick. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I am experiencing the same. The TV audio swap is very hit and miss. Sometimes it will work well, other times I will switch and all I’ll get is static and I have to disconnect and reconnect with my arc to have it functioning correctly. Other times it will have mini audio drops outs randomly/intermittent static. It seems very buggy in its current state. Hopefully it is a software problem and not a hardware problem.

Are you going to keep or return yours due to this?

Badge

What you describe is exactly what is happening to me. I am going to keep them for the time being. Hope for improvement. I like them quite a lot otherwise. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Same. I’m hoping this is just something software can fix in the next update.

I got the same.  
First night last night with my headphones all was good. 
Then tonight I get the little crackles and dropouts.  Swapping back to TV and back seems to fix it for a while.  
Just testing now, as I think it only seems to happen while using noise reduction.   

Nope, still happens when not using noise reduction too.  :(

Are you going to keep or return yours due to this?

not at this point, as I am suspecting that it is software related. I havent had any issues with sound drop offs over bluetooth when connected to my phone. If it was a hardware issue it would have to be with the wifi chip inside the headphones. It would be good to have someone from Sonos comment on this and if they are aware of this issue though.

Same issue here - distortion and dropped audio every ~30 seconds in TV Swap mode. I have an Arc with a sub attached and bought these purely for the TV Swap. I tried cranking up Group Audio Delay to high and it seemed slightly better afterwards - maybe it was just placebo.

Badge

I have the exact same configuration. I will try the audio delay idea. But won’t affect the lip sync frame delay?

Having the same issue. Returning my original set as I had other issues that customer support wasn’t helpful in resolving, but picked up another set of Aces and unfortunately still experiencing this problem.