Question

sonos ace PC bluetooth connectivity issue

• 11 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Got myself the Ace recently, delightful headphones to own, but I've had nothing but trouble connecting to my PC. 7800x3d ASUS Prime B650M-A Wi-Fi II DDR5 if that helps.

First and foremost, my phone (flip 5) pairs seamlessly. OOB and currently.

On my computer, it detected it quickly but there was a tonne of drop-out, lag, and static. In attempting to resolve the issue I restarted my pc a few times and had to repair the headphones each time. Multi-point made no difference.

They were working perfectly for 20 minutes, restarted my computer to test reconnecting again. Couldn't reconnect, couldn't remove, couldn't re-pair. Factory reset the headphones, fiddled with bluetooth drivers, deleted a few in the hidden tab, it connected again. Switched audio back to phone, same issue.

Repeat steps, doesn't find headphones. Disable and re-enable bluetooth drivers, 404. Re-install drivers, 404. 

Currently moving onto slightly more nuclear options: windows repair, full power-down, re-install windows(keep files), eventually gonna factory reset the computer if neither of the above works.

Any advisement welcome.

4 replies

I’ve got similar issues. I had to go and purge everything with Sonos in the name via Device Manager including sound and bluetooth devices. That allowed me to re-pair but it didn’t fix any of my disconnect issues. The headphones work great on connected to my iPhone, Quest 3, and Macbook Pro but it’s been abysmal connecting to Windows 11. It’s just constant disconnects and completely unusable. They work fined hard-wired but at that point I’m just putting my Beyerdynamics back on and saying screw it to faffing with the Sonos Ace.

tl;dr- Something is wrong with the current WDM driver setup as it seems to randomly switch between streaming 48k Hz + 2-ch and the lower Hz 1-ch used when streaming the microphone back to Windows. Switching to Kernal Streaming (KS) I have had no issues whatsoever, albeit I do use a separate dynamic microphone rather than the one in the Ace.

Well I think I’ve found a “solution” that’s definitely not elegant but seems to keep the Sonos Ace connected in Windows 11 throughout the day without dropping:

1. Install freemium software Voicemeeter (VM) Banana or Voicemeeter Potato
  2. Connect Sonos Ace via Bluetooth
  3. In the top right of VM, choose one of the “A” hardware out devices and switch to the KS tab before then clicking on the Sonos Ace
  4. Set Windows sound output to one of the three (B1, B2, B3) virtual inputs
  5. In VM again, click to enable the output channel to your Sonos Ace (on A*)
  6. You should have sound! Let me know if you have any questions or issues - more than happy to help get this setup!

Setup VM example:

I’ve got similar issues. I had to go and purge everything with Sonos in the name via Device Manager including sound and bluetooth devices. That allowed me to re-pair but it didn’t fix any of my disconnect issues. The headphones work great on connected to my iPhone, Quest 3, and Macbook Pro but it’s been abysmal connecting to Windows 11. It’s just constant disconnects and completely unusable. They work fined hard-wired but at that point I’m just putting my Beyerdynamics back on and saying screw it to faffing with the Sonos Ace.

Is there any sound latency when wired to the PC? Or is it instant.

There is still a slight delay as I think the headphones are doing a bit of processing themselves on the incoming audio stream even via wired.

And I hate to report that the connectivity issues are back on my end and maybe even worse now. I can’t keep them connected for more than 5-10 minutes at a time to my Windows 11 laptop. They work just fine with MacOS and iOS but the Windows 11 support is TERRIBLE. The headphones seemingly drop between single and dual channel like the mic is active, even though it’s not. They seem to roam to other devices I’ve paired previously and while I don’t have the multi-device BT feature enabled it still acts like it’s trying to jump between devices. I’ve factory reset the things a few times to no avail. About ready to see if I can return them as Windows 11 is my daily driver and I kinda need it to work. I’ve already got a DAC and a good pair of Beyerdynamic if I’m going to be forced to use wired headphones.