Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Ace not powering-off after removal from head

One item that I really appreciated with my Bose QuietComfort Headsets is auto power off.. I had it set for 2 or 3 hours so that if I take my headset off on my desk, forget to power it off - it wont be on all night and then its dead (or close to dead) in the AM.

Bose had figured out how to detect that there were no sound or activity coming from the connected device, and would power off automatically.. If I was actually using the head phones for 2 or 3 hours straight - it wouldnt automatically turn off.

Really miss that feature and could have used it earlier this week.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Alconic 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That seems like a pretty sensible idea to me!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Hi @Alconic 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That seems like a pretty sensible idea to me!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Hi @Corry P but aren’t Ace doing that already? :) Heh, I’m looking for exactly opposite feature - I’m using mine also for work - connected via BT to a PC to take/make calls. I don’t wear them all the time and I see that after period of time headphones power off automatically. My previous Sony headphones had an option in the app to prevent this. Is there a way to do it with Ace or can I request also a feature for Aces to NOT power off? :) Thank you! 

@Alconic dumb question for you - how do you have yours set up that they don’t power off themselves automatically? 

I initially paired mine through the app, it downloaded and installed FW update and since then I’m not able to pair them to the app anymore, so I basically have them in defaults as I cannot change any settings 😐

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ryznzd 

Yes, I think you are right! Not sure what came over me on that day!

You can disable wear detection - that way, Ace will assume it’s on your head all the time and not power off unless you tell it to. Please see our Wear Detection settings for Sonos Ace help page for full details.

In regards to pairing to the app again, I think you may need to reset the headphones: Factory reset your Sonos product (bottom of page).

I hope this helps.

Hi @Alconic 

Apologies! 

It sounds like the headphones are not detecting when you take them off - please ensure Wear Detection is On, and that the removable cups are fitted properly (if they are not, it can interfere with the InfraRed detectors on the headphones).

Ace should power-off after 30 minutes of not being worn.

I hope this helps.

Thanks @Corry P it certainly does! I came to the same conclusion while testing today - Wear Detect determines whether they turn off automatically or not.

As for my pairing issue - I was able to resolve that by using older tablet with Android 11 - worked fine there.

Hi @Alconic 

Apologies! 

It sounds like the headphones are not detecting when you take them off - please ensure Wear Detection is On, and that the removable cups are fitted properly (if they are not, it can interfere with the InfraRed detectors on the headphones).

Ace should power-off after 30 minutes of not being worn.

I hope this helps.

Wow. I hade no idea wear detection assisted with power. I thought it only affected start/stopping of music and auto answer on phone calls, so I never turned it on. 

Does this mean that it will automatically turn on when I place the headphones on my ear and they are powered off?

I’ll play around with this and see how it goes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Alconic 

I don’t have a set to test (yet), but I think it’s a safe assumption that they have to be on to detect being worn.

I hope this helps.

I am confused.  Wear detection will send a pause command to the source device, yes, but I was not aware that it was involved in automatically powering off Ace after a certain length of time.  Support document doesn’t say anything about this.

What is the length of time before the headphones power off?

I am confused.  Wear detection will send a pause command to the source device, yes, but I was not aware that it was involved in automatically powering off Ace after a certain length of time.  Support document doesn’t say anything about this.

That’s exactly what confused me as well. This is not documented anywhere, or listed as a feature, etc.

I agree that it should be specified in the docs or in the app as a description of this feature. I also have Wear Detect associated only with playback start/stop from previous headphones I’ve had.

As a thought - I guess if the Ace audio doesn’t pause for whatever reason, i.e. if wear-detection was perhaps disabled by the user, then if it’s left BT paired with a mobile phone, wouldn’t things like phone notifications, text, incoming emails etc. not keep the Ace from powering off. So that’s why I’m guessing wear-detection likely needs to be enabled for Ace to pause all audio and then power off - otherwise an incoming email or notification etc. might keep resetting the power-off timer period.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @melvimbe, @Alconic & @ryznzd 

It is mentioned in the product guide at https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosace

I hope this helps.

I have wear detection enabled - seems to work.

However the “Sonos Ace will turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity” - not so sure this works. I have returned twice now to my headphones having forgotten to switch them off (no LED tells me when they are on or off) - only to find them completely flat having just sat on my desk consuming battery power doing nothing…...

However the “Sonos Ace will turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity” - not so sure this works. I have returned twice now to my headphones having forgotten to switch them off (no LED tells me when they are on or off) - only to find them completely flat having just sat on my desk consuming battery power doing nothing…...

it works for me if I disconnect my mobile Bluetooth link, so that the Ace is not receiving any phone notifications for text, emails etc.

it works for me if I disconnect my mobile Bluetooth link, so that the Ace is not receiving any phone notifications for text, emails etc.

That’s the issue then - because I don’t switch off Bluetooth on my phone \ laptop etc just because I’ve stopped listening to music. Surely there can be more intelligence on getting the headphone to sleep even when connected to a device - ie when its aware there is no music being played etc….

That’s the issue then - because I don’t switch off Bluetooth on my phone \ laptop etc just because I’ve stopped listening to music. Surely there can be more intelligence on getting the headphone to sleep even when connected to a device - ie when its aware there is no music being played etc….

I guess so. Something for the Sonos developers to resolve, but looks like the Sonos App may have their focus at the moment.